cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Checking on Wheel Bearing Heat

DogTrainer
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering how many of you check your hubs for overheating when you stop and get gas or pit stops.

While driving home from Branson (232 miles total one way) I stopped for gas and two hubs were kind of hot (different axles) but touchable and two were cold. I took the camper yesterday to get the bearings checked. I just had them packed last year and I told the service writer that the technician may have tightened two of them down to tight.

Since repacking last year I have only driven 1200 miles and I don't consider that excessive miles.

I would assume while driving they should all be close to same temperature.
2007 Chevy 2500HD 6L Auto 4WD
2015 Keystone Outback 5th Wheel
Wife and 2 great kids, Son-Army 45th
Yellow Lab
56 REPLIES 56

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I think there might be some El Toro poo poo mixed into that mountain. :B

Sargehut234
Explorer
Explorer
Man O man you people are a mountain of knowledge!
Thanks for being there!
SARGE

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
The touch method is something I learned from my Dad when I was a child. Nothing wrong with it. Using an IR gun just allow you to get into spots you can't do with your hand and allows for an across the board check on things. I have used it extensively shooting it in areas that would be the closet to the bearing which I would not be able to do with my hand. I have thought of removing the center hub cover cap which would allow to shoot the bearing cover which is probably as close as one could get but I have not done so.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
I too use an IR gun.. Just checking to make sure NOTHING stands out... I will find that the sun side will be warmer than the shade side, sometimes as much as 15 degrees...

I also use the "touch" if I am unsure.

Although I went to a TPMS itโ€™s almost too much info . Joking of course, not sure I want to have anymore tools to tell me whatโ€™s going on :B But yes the touch method and the TPMS so far has kept me out of trouble.

I too use an IR gun.. Just checking to make sure NOTHING stands out... I will find that the sun side will be warmer than the shade side, sometimes as much as 15 degrees...

I also use the "touch" if I am unsure.
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

7_3_psdman
Explorer
Explorer
I had problems with one hot drum on each side, two were over 250* and the other two were about 150* so I fixed the wiring to the brakes and then I jacked up one wheel at a time. I check for wobble and spun the wheel to make sure the bearings were okay and then I adjusted the shoes with the star adjusters. I shot about a half a tube of grease in each EZ Lube fitting and I could tell that the wheels spun easier. Got one side finished this morning before it got hot outside.

jimcatinmi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info, Inhad the same question that's why I live this place
2021 F250 7.3 Godzilla
2015 Alpine 3010RE
Pullrite superglide 16k

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thermoguy wrote:
2oldman wrote:
memtb wrote:
Iโ€™d be very surprised if the majority of people could get within 20 degrees of the actual temperature when using there hand.
It's not the actual temperature they're after when using their hands, it's whether the warmth feels all about the same.

Since I have one it's hard to argue the benefits one might argue by not having one. But, mine takes pictures and allows you to see where the heat is. I can tell you from experience, that the tire heat is on the tread, but the bearing heat is not on an area you can touch from the outside of the tire or hub, it's on the inside. You can't touch that area and some bearings can be over 200 degrees. Good luck with your hand. Also, heat is relative, so you are looking for all to be about the same, not an absolute number. In addition, a failed brake has no heat. You're not going to feel that with your hand.

thats not true, if you put your hand on the centre hub cover you will feel if the brakes or berrings are running hot. if it warm your good, if you pull your hand back you may have an issue. you said your self it is over 200 degrees, its all metal and the hub cover will give a bit of air space so you dont instantly melt skin. now you wont know if it is brakes or a berring with out a little more investagation but your not trying to do that on a quick stop, just checking to make sure tires and centre hubs are running at simular temps, this tells you everything is good. if I feel a hot one I will start looking deeper which may mean gettin gout my gun and trying to find the hotest part of the hub from the back.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
My TPMS will show me that the wheels on the sunny side will be 10ยฐ warmer than the other. Now, whether bearing heat will show at the edge of the rim.. I don't know.

2oldman, the TPSS system is great......but, the IR gun, is just another tool in your arsenal! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
My TPMS will show me that the wheels on the sunny side will be 10ยฐ warmer than the other. Now, whether bearing heat will show at the edge of the rim.. I don't know.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
memtb wrote:
Iโ€™d be very surprised if the majority of people could get within 20 degrees of the actual temperature when using there hand.
It's not the actual temperature they're after when using their hands, it's whether the warmth feels all about the same.

Iโ€™ll buy that to a point! But, I want to know the temperature differential between tires/hubs/ brake drums(if applicable) for each side of the unit.....example , all should be similar on the same side of the unit. Yes....anyone can determine โ€œifโ€ one component is significantly hotter than itโ€™s counterparts...But, by that time itโ€™s likely too likely too late for preventive maintenance!

An example being.... with the IR gun I can determine not only if one component is โ€œwarmerโ€ than itโ€™s counterparts.... but determine within a degree or two, the difference from side to side of the unit, caused by loading, road crown, sunlight exposure, etc.! Maybe I am โ€œoverreactingโ€ to the importance of this little tool.....but, Iโ€™m forming an intense displeasure for roadside or campground work performed in single digit or triple digit temperatures! If this can save me a tire, bearing/hub failure, a dragging brake, or as mentioned a failing truck differential.....itโ€™s a monetary win and some piece of mind! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
memtb wrote:

Since I have one it's hard to argue the benefits one might argue by not having one. But, mine takes pictures and allows you to see where the heat is. I can tell you from experience, that the tire heat is on the tread, but the bearing heat is not on an area you can touch from the outside of the tire or hub, it's on the inside. You can't touch that area and some bearings can be over 200 degrees. Good luck with your hand. Also, heat is relative, so you are looking for all to be about the same, not an absolute number. In addition, a failed brake has no heat. You're not going to feel that with your hand.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Not to mention, when I check my truck rear differential temperature.....I donโ€™t have to crawl under the truck! memtb"

That's one of the reasons I have one.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"