Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Leaving dog at campsite
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Leaving dog at campsite

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never stayed at a campground that said no unattended pets. Leash requirements, yes, which we abide by when the dogs are not inside, but never a rule about unattended pets. I wouldn't stay at a campground that had that rule either.

Our last experience w/ barking dogs was in June. The people next to us had 2 little dogs (it's usually the little ones that are the worst) that as soon as they left, they'd bark for a half hour straight. So dogs behaving differently when owners are gone are not lost on me, but unless someone is right next to our camper making noise, I know for a fact mine don't bark (we draw all blinds so they cannot see outside). Just like at home they don't bark unless someone rings the bell/knocks or is walking right along our fence.

For the record, how did my dogs (we have 3 bigger ones) respond to their barking dogs? Completely ignored them and played with each other and/or their toys we had for them. I'd rather listen to barking dogs than screaming/shreiking/crying children.

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

am1958

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

And i hate to get dragged into this, but folks,

*SNIP some useless verbiage*

I have begun to think that dog owners are the most Clueless people in the world.

Whenever you hear "but" in a sentence you can disregard everything said prior to it. This is a perfect example and the reason for his "but" was in the final sentence.

If find clueless campers, drivers and people generally all around me. In my opinion you are quite probably clueless in at least one facet of your existence.

I'm typing from my campground right now. This morning we went to a store thirty minutes away because our air pump had broken and the kids wanted water rafts and the like. As mentioned before, my German Shepherd came with us. The wife wanted some sundries but it was high seventies and sunny so the dog couldn't be in the car for long. I have remote start that brings on climate control for 10 minutes so he stayed in the car. I went in and told the wife I'd find the air pump, drop it in the cart and return to the dog which I did.

I can stand a quarter of a mile from my truck and start it which I do sometimes when the dog is in there because I fear the most clueless twits on the planet. Other human beings that see a dog in a car in summer and with no care for it's condition either break windows to "give them air" or call the police who break windows because, well, it's fun.

If the clueless amongst us want to be helpful learn to recognize a dog in distress from heat. Clue: simply panting isn't distress, my dog does it in a Michigan winter.

[email protected]

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/20 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

am1958 wrote:

CFerguson wrote:

And i hate to get dragged into this, but folks,

I have begun to think that dog owners are the most Clueless people in the world.

Whenever you hear "but" in a sentence you can disregard everything said prior to it. This is a perfect example and the reason for his "but" was in the final sentence.

If find clueless campers, drivers and people generally all around me. In my opinion you are quite probably clueless in at least one facet of your existence.

I'm typing from my campground right now. This morning we went to a store thirty minutes away because our air pump had broken and the kids wanted water rafts and the like. As mentioned before, my German Shepherd came with us. The wife wanted some sundries but it was high seventies and sunny so the dog couldn't be in the car for long. I have remote start that brings on climate control for 10 minutes so he stayed in the car. I went in and told the wife I'd find the air pump, drop it in the cart and return to the dog which I did.

I can stand a quarter of a mile from my truck and start it which I do sometimes when the dog is in there because I fear the most clueless twits on the planet. Other human beings that see a dog in a car in summer and with no care for it's condition either break windows to "give them air" or call the police who break windows because, well, it's fun.

If the clueless amongst us want to be helpful learn to recognize a dog in distress from heat. Clue: simply panting isn't distress, my dog does it in a Michigan winter.

Good for you and your dog. I leave my temp stik in the truck and leave it running if I need to take the dogs with us when we make a run to the store for something. I have the temp stik set to check every 15 mins. My worse fear is some idiot will smash the window to steal the truck and like you said some will break the window since the dog is in there. My rot/shepard mix may not like that!!
As far as this thread some folks want to complain and just KNOW they are correct. Safe travels.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/20 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JMO, but for the most part dogs are not the problem. Dog owners are the problem. A dog is a dog. It is not some cutesy fur baby. At best as smart as it will ever be is dumber than a 2 year old human.

I will never forget the time a guy rolled into a site next to me & out came one of those dog corrals. Uh Oh... Next out of the moho came about 5 of those yappy ankle biters. I'm thinking this is not good. He puts a shield around the outside of the corral. Now the ankle biters can't see out to bark at anything. They go out to dinner leaving the ankle biters in the moho. Not a sound from the little dears. They have pulled all of the curtains so the dogs can't see outside & they have left the TV on loud enough so that they can't hear anything outside either. Didn't hear a peep out of those show mutts all night.

It doesn't take much to be smarter than the average dog.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

am1958

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

In my sixty two years of experience the same can be said of the average human.

LiudwigXIX

New York

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can not understand people who leave their dogs in cars during summer or when it is very hot or cold outside, they can die. Why did they buy a dog if they don't care of them? I have a dog and I take care of him and when it is possible I always bring him with me, only once left him in the car for 7 minutes but with air conditioning, because I was worried about him. Moreover, I try to feed him with the best food, I always buy from ***Link Removed***https://woofbarkgrowl.co.uk/wainwrights-dog-food/, because it is based on natural ingredients and my dog likes it a lot. By the way, my dog's name is Ricky.

* This post was edited 08/04/20 07:16am by LiudwigXIX *

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/20 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

am1958 wrote:

Veebyes wrote:

In my sixty two years of experience the same can be said of the average human.

Agreed - I am 62 also. [emoticon]

There is something special about camping in an RV.

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

am1958 wrote:

[emoticon]

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JAC1982 wrote:

I've never stayed at a campground that said no unattended pets. ...

I'll take you at your word. It must be a west vs east thing.

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/04/20 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Veebyes wrote:

I concur.
Plenty of evidence for your assertion all around us everyday.

If this thread has done one thing for me, it has shown me the absolute arrogance and lack of concern for some people's dogs. While i have never reported anyone in a CG, that is going to change when i see dogs not being properly cared for. Thank you all for you input.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Leaving dog at campsite
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.