Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Two features a must in a fifth. Who builds them

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have an 09 Cedar Creek. 34 TSA.
Two features that appealed to us was the fact that even with 3 slides the door entrance is fully protected by the awning. Not like many today with slides close to the door and the awning end near even with one side of the door.
Camp in the rain with a wind....and your stairs get wet.

The other is that this trailer is fully accessible but for the two recliners when the slides are in. 4 can eat at the table and one can walk right to the rear with out opening a slide. It was a feature FR bragged about.

Does any builder today have such a floor plan etc that has these two features.
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek
17 REPLIES 17

ng2951
Explorer
Explorer
...Also, if one has Schwintek mechanisms on slides, it is not advisable to partially extend the slide and then retract it. It must be fully extended before it is retracted to maintain alignment.
Not entirely true. The way you resync the slideout is to retract the slideout 10" and then fully extend them, holding the extend button for 3 to 5 seconds. You generally repeat this 3 times.

Lippert and some RV shops recommend lubing the bearings and gibs every 6 months with CRC Power Lube with PTFE.
Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Chloe, Belle, & Danke
2017 GD Imagine 2800BH
2017 53 days camping
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ Duramax Diesel
Honda 2000sThe Bayou Bounty Hunters Cowboy Club
The Single Action Shooting Society

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
Trust this is not hijacking the thread. This is in no way to answer or influence the OP's needs or requirements. I too have always heard that slides are not designed to hold weight when they are in, or slightly extended. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, if one has Schwintek mechanisms on slides, it is not advisable to partially extend the slide and then retract it. It must be fully extended before it is retracted to maintain alignment.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Splashers3 wrote:
The only stops we make are for bathroom breaks....we carry snacks and sandwiches in the truck to eat on the fly...so no need to open a slide until we reach our destination.

When at home its no big deal opening the slides....and we really only need to open one of them if we have to.

To each his own.

That is about it. We can get access to the fridge & potty. Basic needs covered.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
The only stops we make are for bathroom breaks....we carry snacks and sandwiches in the truck to eat on the fly...so no need to open a slide until we reach our destination.

When at home its no big deal opening the slides....and we really only need to open one of them if we have to.

To each his own.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

me2
Explorer
Explorer
ivbinconned wrote:
We have an 09 Cedar Creek. 34 TSA.
Two features that appealed to us was the fact that even with 3 slides the door entrance is fully protected by the awning. Not like many today with slides close to the door and the awning end near even with one side of the door.
Camp in the rain with a wind....and your stairs get wet.

The other is that this trailer is fully accessible but for the two recliners when the slides are in. 4 can eat at the table and one can walk right to the rear with out opening a slide. It was a feature FR bragged about.

Does any builder today have such a floor plan etc that has these two features.

The problem with a main awning over the door is that if you drop your awning a lot the top of the door may contact it. Depends on where the door is and where the awning is mounted.

The problem with eating with the slides in is that some slides aren't designed to carry weight when they are fully in. You often have to put them out just a little bit to get them resting on the floor.

But I agree that it is nice to have full access to trailer when the slides are in.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or itโ€™s in storage...batteries are in warm shop for the winter and she wants something from the far end of the trailer. Well if it was like our kids you would have to climb over the island bar and sink to get to the back.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had many occasions and locations where we are thankful to be able to get to the rear of the trailer to access storage, lay on the couch, watch a little tv, sit four at the table for a bite.
Might be parked at a rest stop, on the curb in front of friends house for a few days.
It can be very convenient.
Thanks for the input folks.

dlleno
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
JAC1982 wrote:
Also this one looks like it would work. https://northwoodmfg.com/arctic-fox-2/arctic-fox-27-5l/

I have my eye on that one

Yea i just read the OP requirements and saw the point: most awnings end near the edge of the door

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never understood the fixation over the the need for the trailer to be fully functional with the slides in. Yes, one needs to be able to use the toilet. Access to the fridge for a mid trip snack is good. No, I am not stopping for a mid day, mid trip nap. I'll stop for the day a little early & have a nap then.

Slides were put in to make life more comfortable at the destination. They have to go somewhere during transit.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
JAC1982 wrote:
Also this one looks like it would work. https://northwoodmfg.com/arctic-fox-2/arctic-fox-27-5l/

I have my eye on that one

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not one of the Alliance models have awnings the fully protect the entrance from sun or rain.

dlleno
Explorer
Explorer
Thew new Alliance 5ers appear to meet the awning requirement as well

https://www.alliancerv.com/fifth-wheel-paradigm.php

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe? https://www.jayco.com/products/fifth-wheels/2020-north-point/382flrb/
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor