cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Microsoft Edge issues?

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
I have an older (8-10 yrs?) HP Pavilion dv6 laptop that serves my purposes. I kept delaying the updating of Microsoft Edge until it forced it and did it automatically. Since then my laptop often takes a long time to fire up. When I try to open the browser, whether it's Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome, I'll just have a blank, white screen for anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes before the browser opens. Or it may not open at all. It's not unusual for me to have to unplug it and remove the battery to perform a hard restart. I'm running PCMatic for security and it hasn't found any issues. Once the browser does open everything functions normally. Is this just a matter of the update being too large for my old laptop and it needs to be replaced or is there something I can do to remedy the situation. I'm pretty well technologically challenged.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg
12 REPLIES 12

cleo43
Explorer
Explorer
He said he's well technologically challenged, and his laptop's HP Pavilion dv6, quite strong for Linux - more than enough for office, emails & web surfing, just don't go for Video Games.
I've revived many old laptops with only 1 or 2GB Ram.

One bit of advise, from someone who works in enterprise IT. Start with the simple solutions, and work toward more complicated. Unfortunately, it's human nature to assume a complicated solution off the bat, even among experiences techs? PC hardware problems can be caused by a multitude of issues? But you would not believe how many times an issue was caused by something as simple as the old adage 'Is it plugged in?'

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
You may need to upgrade the memory in your computer. To check this, right-click on the clock on the bottom right of your screen. Left click on Task Manager, click on the Performance Tab. (you may have to expand the selection). Note the amount of memory in use, the amount of memory installed and the percentage of memory used.

As Operating Systems get larger, sometimes it will outgrow the amount of installed memory forcing the computer to start swapping a lot of memory to the hard drive. If your system has only 4 gb of memory installed then you need to go to the manufacturer website or crucial.com and purchase a memory upgrade. Most modern systems need a minimum of 8gb of DRAMM memory and 16gb is preferable.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

cleo43
Explorer
Explorer
8ntw8tn wrote:
I'm pretty well technologically challenged.

Try Linux.
I recommend MX Linux.
If you have any data to keep, copy them to an external drive then install using option 'Erase and use the entire disk'.
Your laptop's life will be extended for years to come.
Get MX here.

At home, I regularly use a 2012 DELL Vostro i7 desktop PC updated to WIN10 Pro, for teleworking daily. Have not seen any issues with the new Edge or any browsers? Updated to latest MS monthly releases, and running as fast as ever with no issues?

I'd recommend installing Firefox browser, and see if this resolves your issue? Note that the BRAVE browser is also Chromium based, so not a good test.

When was the last time you cleared your browser cache? In Edge, it's quite easy to find, though you can do so with any browser by using the PC keyboard shortcut SHFT+CTRL+DELETE keys. Follow the dialog for clearing the cache. Close and re-start your browser.

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of good suggestions here, and I'm going to follow up on many of them. For the record, my PC Matic subscription is not the free one; I paid for the 1 year subscription and immediately noticed an improvement in operation. I had been using a Best Buy product for several years. It was after the Edge "upgrade" that I noticed the described behavior. Just for grins and giggles I picked up my DW's laptop, an ASUS, and a few years newer, but it's still 4-5 years old. I received very similar behavior. Now, that's after only one start-up (she usually uses her IPad and seldom uses the laptop) so it's not a good sampling but I'm beginning to wonder if it could be our ISP. In fairness, though, our IPhones and her IPad are all connected to the same ISP and we haven't noticed any difference in their behaviors. But maybe I'm mixing apples and oranges there. As I said, I'm kinda challenged in this area. Nonetheless, I appreciate the suggestions and will see if any or all of them result in improved performance.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
8ntw8tn wrote:
I have an older (8-10 yrs?) HP Pavilion dv6 laptop that serves my purposes. I kept delaying the updating of Microsoft Edge until it forced it and did it automatically. Since then my laptop often takes a long time to fire up. When I try to open the browser, whether it's Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome, I'll just have a blank, white screen for anywhere from a few seconds to several minutes before the browser opens. Or it may not open at all. It's not unusual for me to have to unplug it and remove the battery to perform a hard restart. I'm running PCMatic for security and it hasn't found any issues. Once the browser does open everything functions normally. Is this just a matter of the update being too large for my old laptop and it needs to be replaced or is there something I can do to remedy the situation. I'm pretty well technologically challenged.

8-10 yr old PC means it was either Win7 or Win8,8.1 upgraded (downgraded??) to Win10 to be running MS Edge (although MS did "offer" Edge to Win8.1 I would touch it with a 10ft pole).

Not the ideal PC for Win10 or Edge.

Edge is a "Chrome" based browser which means the same issue may happen in BOTH Browsers. Which may explain why you are seeing such sluggish startup with the two browsers.

I personally hate Chrome, it IS a terrible browser for speed, terrible browser for lack of intrusive ad control. Edge is no better since it is based off of Chrome (MS threw in the towel for further development of IE).

Someone mentioned Brave, I have not tried that one but it is based off of FireFox. I would say try FireFox or Brave to see what happens.

Most browsers also automatically check and install updates when you launch them, this often will cause a short delay in startup of the browser but it should not happen everytime you launch.

Since BOTH of your browsers are having the same issue, it could also be an issue with your Internet connection or Internet provider. You may want to check your WiFi speed connection if using only WiFi or verify you are getting the max speed from you ISP you are paying for.

Other things to consider, it may not have anything to do with an update to Edge, it might be a symptom of other issues with your PC like not enough RAM, HD space, RAM failing, MB failing, HD failing.

Could be other software related PCmatic? Never heard of that one, not a fan of most "free" AV softwares, sort of like inviting the wolf into the sheep heard isn't it?

Just because that free AV didn't find anything does not mean your PC is clean, sometimes AV software is worse than a virus and will slug your PC. That AV software may be "scanning" the browser everytime you launch which causes delays.

You can temporarily disable your PCmatic and open your browser and see if that stops the delay.

You can also start your "Task Manager" before launching your browser to see how much memory, processor and hard drive resources are being used. Take a note of how much percentage is being used with no browser running.

Then launch the browser and see how much it affects your PC resources.. If HD or processor maxes out you when you start your Browser then you need to figure out what program(s) are causing that.

It may be as simple as you do not have PC hardware up to the task or you have too many other non essential programs running or you have virus(s)/malware running in the background eating up your resources.

I have run into PCs from friends and family that were so badly infested with virus(s) from free coupon or online coupon discounter tracking programs over the yrs that it crippled the PCs..

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on Brave

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Download and install the BRAVE browser. Eliminates ads and loads quick. Even works on old computers.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
I agree completely with what RobWNY said above. Also, I think newer, and larger, software is outgrowing your old laptop. Probably need to think about a new one.....but let Glary Utilities do its job first.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
download and install Glary Utilities 5. They have a free version and a Pro version but the free version will work just fine. Download, install and run the program. It will clean up all the left over useless files on your computer and fix any disk errors. If that helps speed things up for you, great. Just run that program every few days to keep your computer running good. If that doesn't work, you may be looking at a new laptop. 8-10 year old computers are dinosaurs and there's just so much you can do to keep them running ok.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe uninstalling and reinstalling may help sort it out.
Uninstall from Control Panel/Programs and Features