Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: where 2 get water for RV before you reach your destination?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> where 2 get water for RV before you reach your destination?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Filling up at home is not about weight, money or MPG's although these are all factors to consider.
Filling at home is all about convenience. Finding the water fill is step 1. usually finding the fill is easy but not always. Connecting to the fill is step 2
hopefully there is a standard hose connection. but not always you may need a water thief or some other gadget. Getting your RV positioned close to the water fill without blocking the road. I have a 40 RV 5'er getting close to fill can be a challenge. I also have a 85 gallon fresh tank that takes 20-25 minutes to fill. Waiting to fill can also be a headache. What if someone with a 85 gallon tank is in line ahead of me! Quality of the water source you are filling from? Is the source chlorinated water is it untreated well water?
You can eliminate all the steps and variables, by simply filling at home or from a known source. It simply a more convenient approach with no variables or delays
If you camping style requires you to use your fresh tank regularly. You need to factor water hauling ability into your RV buying decision. If you need to haul water by an RV capable of hauling water.
Often we try to make the discussion/decision about money when often the decision is about doing your homework and buying based on research not impulse.
RV's that are capable of hauling water (most are capable) are no more expensive than the models that perform poorly when carrying water. It's all a matter of knowing your wants and needs before buying vs. figuring it out after buying.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 11:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always fill up at home where I know the water is safe and agrees with us. Hate to get sick on the road over something so preventable. When on the road I only fill up at a campground spigot and use my own fresh water hose and filter.

If your tanks fall out because they are full you've got some assembly issues and god knows what other short cuts they took.

1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/20 01:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

I did post that prefer filling at home but agree.....weight could become an issue.

Why? Because of axle ratings.
You'd be surprised how many trailers with say, 7700 GVWR come equipped with 2 axles rated at 3500 lbs.....2 X 3500=7000.

If the tank sits forward of axles, quite a bit on some trailers then your dealing with what could be, significant tounge weight.

NOW,this additional weight attacks your payload. Lol

Why can't it be simple.

I have the opposite problem, 3,600 GVWR, 26 gallons of water all sitting well behind the axle drops the tongue weight a bunch making it tow much worse.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/20 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

I'm not at the stage where I go 'weeks' at a time on the road, so I always take a load of water from home, even if going to a full hookup site..

My old TT only had a 30 gallon fresh water tank, but my new Rockwood has a 55 gallon fresh water tank... I have found, I don't really use all that much fresh water from the tank on a long 4 day weekend.

No kids, no need to take a 10 minute shower every day while "camping"... It's my time to be dirty, so a good sponge bath before bed is more than refreshing while out in the 'woods'.. ha, ha..

In the end, do what you need to do that works best for you.. All of us other goofs out there are just doing the same thing and proud of it! That's why we post what we do and think it's all anyone else needs to do to enjoy their time in the "woods".. [emoticon]

Good luck! Mitch
[image]

This is my attitude too.

But,,, since I started dating Lyla things have changed. I've been trying to educate her on my camping style and, I have gained some! But I have a long ways to go.

Sometimes I sneak off and camp without here so I don't have to worry about all the girly things that women get upset about. ( And most of the men these days too)

Heck, I only wash my swimsuit a couple of times a year. Why would I need to wash it ? It was just in the water !

I fill my tank at home and then I don't have to worry about filling it when I get someplace. When I get there I'm wanting to set up and see what is going on, not spending time filling the tank. I admit, that I am just a weekend camper that stays close to home.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/20 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fill at home:

1) when we get to the campground I then have at least several days before I need to hook up water. No rush to get water hooked up.
2) more than once I've been at a campground where either they had plumbing problems or power problems and no water for anywhere from a few hours to a few days.

worrying about the extra weight is like worring about the weight of an extra bag of groceries in the car. Seriously 50 gallons of water =400 lbs. out of somewhere between 10,000 and 20,000 total pounds. it's insignficant.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/20 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now on Page 4 - was the question should I fill up at home or on the road? I don't think it was...

I have a similar question. Next month traveling from the Seattle area to Whitefish MT. The first 4 days we are boondocking at a venue with no services. Have to use Generator to recharge my batteries, and need water. Don't want to travel all that way will a full tank. Will most likely plan to leave with it 1/2 full. I am on well water and just so you know, we don't drink our water at home, have bottled water delivered. So, I'm OK showering, brushing teeth, washing dishes, but don't drink it. So, where to get water before we get to our destination? Might be asking some unsuspecting home owner if I can hook up to a faucet outside their house.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/20 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

Now on Page 4 - was the question should I fill up at home or on the road? I don't think it was...

I have a similar question. Next month traveling from the Seattle area to Whitefish MT. The first 4 days we are boondocking at a venue with no services. Have to use Generator to recharge my batteries, and need water. Don't want to travel all that way will a full tank. Will most likely plan to leave with it 1/2 full. I am on well water and just so you know, we don't drink our water at home, have bottled water delivered. So, I'm OK showering, brushing teeth, washing dishes, but don't drink it. So, where to get water before we get to our destination? Might be asking some unsuspecting home owner if I can hook up to a faucet outside their house.

Why do you not want to travel with a full tank? Do you believe the tank is not made for traveling? Does the rig tow poorly with a full tank?
What size is your tank?
The simple answer is it will always be easier to fill at home vs. the unsuspecting homeowners house. If you need the water simply bring it from home.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/20 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

It depends on where you are going when you get there. Many parks in MN have a place to fill your tank once you get to the park. Call ahead and ask the places you are staying at if they have a way to fill and,,, ask them where they get their water from. Most public water supplies will be OK, some wells maybe not.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/20 12:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many fuel stations such as Loves and Pilot have faucets in the pump islands, but they are almost always marked "non-potable water" to prevent or discourage use. I have read (no personal experience) that out west, most Maverick stations have free dump and free potable water.

Some state rest stops or welcome stations may have water or dumps or both.

Allstays, Sanidumps, and other apps are good to use for finding water and dump stations.

Lwiddis wrote:

You sanitized at home? No fun to find water once you arrive at a campground. What if closest water point is closed, contaminated or otherwise unavailable? No stopping to dry camp or boondock...no water. Your choice. If 400 pounds of water makes that much of difference to you, you need a better TV.

It may not have anything to do with tow vehicle, but everything to do with water tank location on the trailer. I have a trailer with the water tank at the very rear, under the bed. Yes, it should have been put under the floor, forward of the axles but it was not. It was located inside to make the trailer a "four season" trailer, but in the process put water where it should not have been.

wing_zealot wrote:

I have never seen an established campground that didn't have water available somewhere on the property. If you're rustic camping or boondocking all bets are off.

Was just at one earlier this week that had water for shower and commodes and I wondered why the commodes seemed to fill very slowly. Then walking the campground I spied a large round poly tank of 1500 or so gallons up on the highest spot on the campground. There is no power at all in the campground save for a large generator near the office, so either the tank is refilled by tank truck every so often or it could be pumped from a well by the generator when they needed to refill it. It was on top of a mountain at 5400 ft ASL.

Charles

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/20 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generally will fill at the campground. I do check online or call, only been a problem once. That happened to be last year at a provincial park in Ontario where they decided to close the fill station for repairs unexpectedly... ended up driving 7 miles out of the way down a poorly maintained dirt road for water.

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 200K"

Where we have camped

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> where 2 get water for RV before you reach your destination?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.