cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing the camper for the fall

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
My daughter will be a sophomore in college this fall, and here school is reducing the number of kids in the dorms, so my daughter has lost her room for fall. So looks like we are going to take the camper to a campground close to her school for the fall semester.
She’s excited as she loves the camper, but I’m a little bummed we won’t be camping.

It’s probably the best option, she will not be as exposed as if she was in a dorm, and it’s better than getting stuck in a 12 month apartment lease is schools have to shut down again.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up
23 REPLIES 23

Mich_upnorth
Explorer
Explorer
You’re not losing the camper, you are losing the setup and tear down, the wear and tear on your tow vehicle and poor fuel mileage towing. You are set up on a seasonal site, have your clothes and food packed and ready to pick up and head out after work on Friday. Lemonade, not lemons.
Bob & Barb
2019 F-150 Ecoboost Lariat Crewcab
2014 Coachman Catalina 30RLS
ProPride hitch

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
BIL just retired from the University there. I like Rivers park the best. Oak park seemed ok but sites weren't very level. Was told they will be trying to level the sites in the future.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
colliehauler wrote:
wowens79 wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Jebby14 wrote:
where is campus? i know up here i wouldnt be putting my kids in a camper for the fall/winter. they would have a bad time.

Same thought ... It might work for a short fall semester where they plan August through October in-person and Nov-Dec online. But wintering in the North, in a camper, it is possible but not easy, and not cheap.

South GA, about 10 miles from the Florida line. Staying warm will not be a problem, getting hot could be 🙂
Valdosta? Several rv parks in the area. Had to run the A/C there last December.

Yep, it can be hot there just about anytime. The AC will be the struggle. It only has 1 ac, but it does pretty good.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Jebby14 wrote:
where is campus? i know up here i wouldnt be putting my kids in a camper for the fall/winter. they would have a bad time.

Same thought ... It might work for a short fall semester where they plan August through October in-person and Nov-Dec online. But wintering in the North, in a camper, it is possible but not easy, and not cheap.

South GA, about 10 miles from the Florida line. Staying warm will not be a problem, getting hot could be 🙂
Valdosta? Several rv parks in the area. Had to run the A/C there last December.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Jebby14 wrote:

Took basic training in Fort Gordon Georgia i. AUGUST of 1980.....most hot and humid conditions I've ever experienced.
I agree, she won't get cold.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
GordonThree wrote:
Jebby14 wrote:

2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
i can tell you that my last outing of 2019 was a local 1 nighter solo at the end of october. it hit -6°C that night
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:

I've got a son that is a senior this fall, and we had college visits scheduled spring and summer that were canceled. Luckily he went on all the visits with his sister. He wanted to try to get his SAT up, so we paid like $2k for 1 on 1 test prep, but has not been able to take the test:(.

Good luck to your daughter finding a school. After doing a bunch of visits, other than deciding if they want a big or small school, I don't think it makes a ton of difference.

I'm kinda hoping all this Covid stuff is going to make her reconsider and want to stay close to home. Especially now with so much going online, I say hit up a local community college for 2 years, get the general ed out of the way, and live at home to save (me!) a ton of cash! lol.

Best of luck to you and yours. I know my daughter is still doing all the SAT prep stuff and she's scheduled to take the test in the fall (after having the spring tests cancelled), but it's nice having some of the pressure taken off of it.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
camperdave wrote:
Sounds like she's well prepped, way to make the best of a tough situation! We're at the applying to college phase right now, everything is so sideways it's hard to know what to do... We planned on doing a bunch of college visits this summer but everything is shut down. Going to have to apply blind. Daughter is just stoked that schools have dropped the SAT requirement lol.

I'm just glad I don't have young kids right now, at least the high schoolers can fend for themselves at home all day while we're working, as it looks like our district will most likely be online this fall.

I've got a son that is a senior this fall, and we had college visits scheduled spring and summer that were canceled. Luckily he went on all the visits with his sister. He wanted to try to get his SAT up, so we paid like $2k for 1 on 1 test prep, but has not been able to take the test:(.

Good luck to your daughter finding a school. After doing a bunch of visits, other than deciding if they want a big or small school, I don't think it makes a ton of difference.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like she's well prepped, way to make the best of a tough situation! We're at the applying to college phase right now, everything is so sideways it's hard to know what to do... We planned on doing a bunch of college visits this summer but everything is shut down. Going to have to apply blind. Daughter is just stoked that schools have dropped the SAT requirement lol.

I'm just glad I don't have young kids right now, at least the high schoolers can fend for themselves at home all day while we're working, as it looks like our district will most likely be online this fall.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
She will have full hookups, and we've camped since she was 5, so she's used to it. Site is $500 a month full hookups with cable.
I'm going to put PVC for the tanks so I don't have to worry about the slinky. I've made her dump the tanks in the past. I'll be about 4 hrs away, so she may have to video call me with questions. But she does her own oil changes, and put a new bumper on her Jeep by herself, so shes pretty handy.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Will she need full hookups? Which will be in the neighborhood of $300 per week depending.

If she's located close to home perhaps AC and water will suffice and your could visit once a week and pull trailer to dump station.

OR, she could use campground facilities and cut down on frequent tank maintenance.

If you have the funds,put her in full hookups and thinking she may thoroughly enjoy mixing in some camping while going to school.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many years ago while working on building the DC light rail I worked in a fab yard where the DC Nationals stadium is today. 2 students going to Georgetown had an old tugboat tied up there as their living quarters while in school....When they left they just cut the boat loose and for several years it sat South of the Wilson bridge about where that National Park is today....Inovation