Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Toyota fake 3/4 ton spotted, overheated
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Toyota fake 3/4 ton spotted, overheated

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/20 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I felt sorry for the guy I was just surprised to see that obviously brand new truck overheated on a little pimple of a hill. As for towing I was at the tail end of three of four others and it never occurred to me to try to pull his truck and giant TT. Or it did but there was nowhere in sight a place to tow him to on that narrow single lane road.

I suspect that he was guilty of actually believing a truck dealer when he asked him "can that truck pull my very long TT?"

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/20 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stsmark wrote:

Instead of getting out and telling the guy to buy a real truck. How about “I have a tow strap maybe we can get you clear while it cools down”
+1

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Remember the 70's when Toyota had a mini truck labeled as a 1 ton?

My uncle had one of those and towed a couple of different TT's with it, although I think it was more of a mid to late 80's vintage. He never had trouble with it although he wouldn't win any races. It did have pretty stiff springs and a rough ride.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice stories in this thread....
Sounds like all the drivers there were dooshes too like the guys on this forum beating their chests about HD trucks.
Ever occur to anyone that he just had a problem? You know, sometimes vehicles break down?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/20 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"when someone suggested getting a real truck"

People can be real jerks.

Its not nice to profile but I can only imagine what that putz was driving.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Nice stories in this thread....
Sounds like all the drivers there were dooshes too like the guys on this forum beating their chests about HD trucks.
Ever occur to anyone that he just had a problem? You know, sometimes vehicles break down?

^^^ This. One of my personal biases is to always have a truck that is spec'd to pull my load and a bit more. Nevertheless, on NEW tow vehicles, I've had manufacturer-caused failures on a couple of new Fords and at least one Chevrolet....and my BIL had his 3500 Ram blow off a cooling hose 50 miles after break-in while towing a 10' trailer with a garden tractor on it. Schtuff happens.

FWIW, due to one of the problems mentioned above, I had to use my Toyota Sequoia to haul a trailered boat...about 15 - 20% over the combined weight limit. It towed fine without blowing up even though I'd guess the Sequoia is a "fake" 1/2 ton.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

My friends 1500 Dodge got really really hot climbing up a canyon HWY last week and he's not overloaded.

I'm sure it can happen to anybody regardless of the truck they drive.

Was it a new Tundra??

A new Tundra is a timid species commonly found at the mall, it gets a long well with teens and soccer moms.

It's existents is doing well even though it is heavily preyed upon by dual axle trailers.

* This post was edited 07/15/20 12:17pm by kellem *

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/20 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LanceRKeys wrote:

1320Fastback wrote:

Its hard to haul heavy up hill when you have the thermal capacity of a 2L bottle.

I’m interested in what you mean by this comment.

Just that some smaller trucks don't have the liquid coolant capacity to haul heavy, in hot weather.

Stolen from the net- "Don't overheat it

Vehicles designed for heavy towing that have a towing package from the factory come with a high coolant capacity radiator and sometimes a heavier water pump. When hauling a heavy load on a trailer with a vehicle that is not designed to haul such a load, the engine heats up far beyond the ability of the radiator to cool it down. The result is overheating, blown head gaskets, and cracked or warped cylinder heads. This is not to say that you should never tow a trailer with your vehicle, just find out what the towing capacity is and do not exceed it. On vehicles that tow heavy loads regularly, it’s a good idea to add an auxiliary engine oil cooler to ensure the engine oil in the crankcase is thoroughly cooled, because intense heat causes the oil to break down"

I believe my old tow pig has 7 gallons of coolant in it. I've towed up the 17 mile grade out of the California desert on the way to Las Vegas in 95° air Temps with the AC on. There are 3 water stops along the way for those in need.

1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/20 12:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

"when someone suggested getting a real truck"

People can be real jerks.

Its not nice to profile but I can only imagine what that putz was driving.

F250, 6” lift with 24” American force brodozer wheels....

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/20 12:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, idk, I’ve been horse whipping half ton trucks for over a quarter century. A lot of them (it’s what you do when the company gives you a F150 and you have F350 work to do). Including 10+ years living in the desert.
Knock on wood, I can’t remember the last time a truck overheated. Betting it was not an inherent weakness but rather an isolated issue.
But people are d!cks. Yesterday I stopped to push a lady’s car out of the road. Does halfway across a 5 lane road. No one helped and a couple people threw their arms up in disgust.
Kids were coming home today in the freedom wagon (our 86 K20) from mtn biking. Truck died, cheapo electric fuel pump gave out...again. One lady actually flipped them off while they were pushing the truck off the road! And 4 Different cops drove by and none stopped....they said.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Toyota fake 3/4 ton spotted, overheated
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.