Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Pet Peeves long road trip
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Pet Peeves long road trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Hemling

Montello, WI

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/20 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just got back a few hours ago from our summer trip from Miami to Door county, WI and back. About 5000 miles round trip. All kinds of roads from gravel one lane to interstate. We pull a 37' TT behind a Ford Excursion, so a about 57' or so going down the road. Maybe I'm just getting older, but these three things really seemed to bother me on this trip.

#1 - merging is a lost art. I'm doing the speed limit in the right lane, cars passing me regularly, and one car will be coming onto the interstate from an on ramp. They get a quarter mile to decide whether to pass me up or tuck in behind. I can't go anywhere! Ultimately, they ride up right beside me expecting me to magically let them in. I can't!!

#2 - Passing lanes. Same problem. I drive the speed limit while towing. No slower, no faster. If that's 55 on a two-laner, that's what I do. So, I politely take the slow lane when one comes up. Invariably, I get cut-off when the passing lane merges back into flow. I've ridden the gravel shoulder, locked up the brakes . . . you name it.

#3 - Stuck in the fast lane. Related to #1, I'll move over if I can, but then I'm doing the speed limit in the fast lane, with my right blinker on, and everybody gets mad as they pass me on the right.

I could never drive OTR truck. Too many idiots on the roads.

Yet I'm getting older. Sorry for the vent.

And get off my lawn.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/20 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every once in a while I like to not move over or slow down (because I don't have to) and watch what the car does coming up the ramp.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/20 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

40' class A pulling a 4-dr Jeep SUV so we're about the same length as the OP..

#1 - completely agree. merging into traffic must not be taught. more and more we're seeing merging cars suddenly stop...dead stop...at the bottom of the ramp. in urban areas where there are 3-lanes more often as not you'll find us in the middle lane keeping up with traffic.

#2 - i tend to move over into the passing lane to let traffic pass. i've noticed that many vehicles aren't ready to pass after i move over. i don't wait till the last minute to pull back left into the traffic lane, when i see the 1/2-mile warning sign i make my move..,earlier if there's a vehicle hanging back.

#3 - i usually drive 65 or the speed limit, whichever is iess and when less than 65 usually 3-5 mph over. but when i move left to pass...really rare it seems...i speed up. get over, pass, get back. sorry, but to remain at the posted speed in the passing lane when other traffic is in that lane behind you is just asking for trouble. i don't deny that i've been caught in the left lane. bad judgement on my part. that's rare but when it happens i get right ASAP.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/20 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Law of the road....whoever has the biggest, baddest vehicle has the right-of-way. RV's win, except against semi's.

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/20 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fill up with fuel where the county deputy sheriffs fill up for fuel. It's close to my place and is a private fuel station for businesses. I have talked with 3 different deputies in the last 2 months and they all say the same thing that people are getting worse. Not only in their driving but other aspects of behavior as well. They said they see it everyday.

I avoid the interstates, but if I need to be on one I stay in the slow lane and go the 5 over. I slow down to let the mergers go in front and yes a lot of them are really annoyingly slow, act like it not deliberate. I just let them in front just to see how bad they can be. It's funny.

Remember to not let them annoy you, people are letting bad behavior get a strong foothold in themselves. I see it everyday too.

* This post was edited 07/11/20 09:58pm by covered wagon *

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/20 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This whole wont let you over and failure to merge is nothing new, back in the early 90's when we were racing (40'F/W, severely underpowered truck) I regularly had to feed guardrail to folks who refused to speed up, as it took forever for my combination to get back up to speed, I couldn't risk being rear ended by some idiot.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/20 10:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hemling, I’m in my 40s, not born in the 40s and I have the same gripes.
One word of advice, do not come to Seattle or Portland driving with your camper. You’ll either shoot someone or eat a bullet yourself.
The things you describe are apparently the “right” way to drive around here!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/20 11:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If its a 3 lane highway I stay in the middle lane regardless of my speed just to avoid people merging who do not know how to do it. This is of course just when on ramps are coming up. If its miles to the next one I'll get back over in the right lane.

Merging is a serious problem with the majority of drivers. They simply do not understand they need to be at the highways minimum speed by the time they merge. They also do not understand the car that is already on the freeway has the right of way under all circumstances and they need to avoid it.

1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/20 04:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the club !

We who pride our selves in driving defensively and in accordance with the law seem to be in a minority.
It is so bad, that I fully expect to see it every time I get behind the wheel.

Guy

pbeverly

South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/20 04:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been the one on the ramp and will back off on acceleration to allow car on interstate to pass me by so I could then come in behind them. The more I slowed down to allow them to get ahead, the more they slowed down. They have the right of way, keep going. Some people have slowed down to the 30s. Funny thing, in many cases, no one behind them. If they had kept their speed up and would have adjusted and zipped right behind them.

Here in SC they realize people suck zipper merges and have included a section on it in the drivers manual, not that that will help. They had sections about stop signs and stop lights as well....

Ridgeway, SC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Pet Peeves long road trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.