cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bending plywood for roof

I_am_Yu
Explorer
Explorer
I'm installing new 7/16 plywood on the roof of a trailer. The framework in the roof is flat and then angles down a few degrees near the edge (as opposed to having a gradual curve all the way across). What's the best way to make a big sheet of plywood bend down an inch or 2 at the sides?
15 REPLIES 15

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
DrewE wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

You do realize "EXTERIOR GRADE" plywood simply means it is another name for BC grade plywood? BC grade is very rough texture on both sides with one side being lightly sanded.

Exterior grade plywood glue is not moisture resistant, get it wet or damp and it WILL eventually come apart, to get moisture resistant glue you have to MARINE GRADE and that is not sold in big box stores.

Everything I've read has said that exterior grade plywood means it uses waterproof glues, while interior plywood uses merely moisture-resistant glues. That's the main differentiator. Exterior plywood can come in many different face grades (as can interior plywood), though BCX is the most readily available one. Plain BC plywood (as opposed to BCX) is not exterior grade; that's what the X indicates.

Marine plywood is a higher grade for sure, and costs correspondingly more.

Drew I agree with you it's all about the resin or glue.
BC refers to the grade of the sides BC is basically one good side one rougher side. Sheathing grade plywood is often CDX. This is two sides that are relatively rough generally used where a smooth side is not required like a roof. Most construction grade plywood is pine or a softer wood however Fir and other woods are used for construction when more strength is desired.
Luan is general made with interior use in mind. The glue between the plies is interior grade. If the plywood gets wet the glues will dissolve and the plies will separate. This is classic delamination.
On the other hand Luan is desirable because it is a hardwood which gives it added strength. Luan is also very smooth. More importantly it is cheap which is why the RV industry uses it. Cheap is the magic word in the slap together RV world.
If it stays dry Luan works well. If it gets wet it delaminates easily however roof leaks generally come later after the warranty has expired.
There are products like advantech that is made with high grade exterior resin that hold up much better to moisture.
Pick your poison and your price point.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

You do realize "EXTERIOR GRADE" plywood simply means it is another name for BC grade plywood? BC grade is very rough texture on both sides with one side being lightly sanded.

Exterior grade plywood glue is not moisture resistant, get it wet or damp and it WILL eventually come apart, to get moisture resistant glue you have to MARINE GRADE and that is not sold in big box stores.

Everything I've read has said that exterior grade plywood means it uses waterproof glues, while interior plywood uses merely moisture-resistant glues. That's the main differentiator. Exterior plywood can come in many different face grades (as can interior plywood), though BCX is the most readily available one. Plain BC plywood (as opposed to BCX) is not exterior grade; that's what the X indicates.

Marine plywood is a higher grade for sure, and costs correspondingly more.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
I have never seen exterior grade luan.I'm not saying it doesn't exist. But what I have seen in the big box stores is interior grade.

Do you THINK RV manufacturers use "moisture resistant" anything on RVs?

NOPE.

The ONLY exception I have found is TREATED plywood (green color) which they must use water resistant glues since they must fully saturate the wood with WATER BASED PRESERVATIVES. That is not recommended for inside use or use where it may be exposed to inside or to fire and it is extremely heavy when new.

Exterior grade is meant to be COVERED and not seen, Luan on the other hand can be used exposed or covered. I have even substituted Luan for inside paneling in my trailer rebuild, just stained and hung it.. Much cheaper than paying twice the money for MDF paneling.

Luan on the other hand uses the SAME glue as exterior grade plywood but has one very smooth finegrain side and the sub layers have a finer wood grain than any plywood I have ever seen and with a bonus that they tend to use much higher quality sub plies which do not have voids.

1/4 luan is a lot nicer to work with than 1/4 plywood since it has finer wood grain and the sub layers do not have hidden voids and will be stronger because of that.

For a roof application Luan can be used, that is what I have done, works great and as long as you keep up with normal roof maintenance and keep the leaks at bay it will last as long as any other plywood.

Although if you are the scared person, then simply give the Luan a skim coat of polyester resin and boat cloth to seal it.. Many boat builders use Luan with fiberglass and resin and those last many years.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bottom line we don't know what the OP's roof looks like. Never heard of 7/16" plywood, there is 1/2" that is in reality 15/32. OSB comes in 7/16" but I am NOT a fan of that for his application.

1/2" 3 ply cdx will bend as I mentioned on a gradual curve at a MUCH lower expense as the bender board.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have never seen exterior grade luan.I'm not saying it doesn't exist. But what I have seen in the big box stores is interior grade.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
forgo the 7/16 single sheet of plywood and instead use two thinner sheets of plywood laminated in place. Thinner sheets will bend and conform much easier than one thick piece and will be far stronger, faster and safer than sawing a lot of relief cuts to the underside of the plywood.

Not sure why I didn't think of this, but it is much easier. Might cost a few $$$ more, but it will save a lot of grief.

Laminating is how it is done for this kind of bending application.

Thicker wood unless steamed (not good or recommended for plywood due to water based glues used) must have relief cuts which compromises strength for small radius bends.

I would skip the 1/4 plywood, 1/4 plywood typically has a lot of voids and coarse grain, use Luan, has much finer grain and virtually no hidden voids than 1/4 plywood, which also means more strength and less chance of breaking or snapping in the wrong place.

Overall Luan a better product to work with.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
For that thickness of plywood, I would kerf the back side with a circular saw about 1 ply deep. It will take several kerfs about 2"-4" apart. Fasten the flat end down and SLOWLY apply pressure to bend it.

I will join the chorus. This is how you do it. Not sure if 1 ply or more without seeing the wood. Might need 2 depending on the degree of curve.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
forgo the 7/16 single sheet of plywood and instead use two thinner sheets of plywood laminated in place. Thinner sheets will bend and conform much easier than one thick piece and will be far stronger, faster and safer than sawing a lot of relief cuts to the underside of the plywood.

Not sure why I didn't think of this, but it is much easier. Might cost a few $$$ more, but it will save a lot of grief.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1/4 inch Luan or Plywood is all you need. 7/16 (OK- 1/2 inch) is way too heavy and too thick and is NOT needed. Why do you feel you need 7/16? Doug

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
forgo the 7/16 single sheet of plywood and instead use two thinner sheets of plywood laminated in place. Thinner sheets will bend and conform much easier than one thick piece and will be far stronger, faster and safer than sawing a lot of relief cuts to the underside of the plywood..

7/16 is .435" or about 10.1 mm (I don't speak mm but in this case it makes it easier to understand).

You could us two layers of "1/4" Luan which now days and is sold in mm thickness of 5.2 mm..

By the way, as long as you are not planning a lot of foot traffic on the roof, most manufacturers only use 1/4" for the roof and only add additional reinforcement at the roof vent where the roof air will be located.

Glue and screw the first layer down then glue and screw the second layer to the first layer..

Then cover with your choice of roofing material.

Laminating thinner materials in place is how a lot of boat builders make those sharp bends without breaking material or adding a lot of stress in the wrong places (that wood will always want to return to it's natural unbent state).

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
For that thickness of plywood, I would kerf the back side with a circular saw about 1 ply deep. It will take several kerfs about 2"-4" apart. Fasten the flat end down and SLOWLY apply pressure to bend it.

I did something similar on plywood when I made a boat in shop class and also when I made a bend in a fence rail.
I don't think only cutting one ply will make it bendable however.
I also cut them closer than 2 inches.
bumpy

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:

This the way to do it so you get a uniform curve and plywood that doesn't want to flatten back out. Use glue and screws.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Apply Loctite PL3 to the radiused portion of the roof joists then screw the plywood down only on the radiused portion. Run the sheets the length of the RV as there are easier to bend side to side. Next day stand on the plywood and it will easily follow the contour of the roof and fasten down. You can block the edged down the center of the RV to make it strong between the trusses.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Check YOUTUBE for how to bend plywood. Lots of info available.