cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mercedes C-Class

Sydlynn20
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we are new to RV's and we're wanting to get a small (no more that 30ft) class c motorhome. I've heard mixed reviews about getting a mercedes c class, like they use certain parts that maybe a mom and pop mechanic shop may not have and also they are more prone to breaking down as the miles get higher. But they are very nice vechiles and beautiful on the inside. Please help me with the pros and cons for getting a mercedes! thank y'all in advance!
19 REPLIES 19

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
I took this from another post of mine about motor home considerations.

Advantages Of The Mercedes Sprinter With Diesel Engine
- Offers a 35%-50% improvement in fuel economy over the Ford-V10, when both are loaded and driven identically.
- More ergonomic driver compartment with more leg room.
- Comfort continues with a car-like feel & quiet ride.
- A grander view out the windshield
- Made by Mercedes which people are attracted to.

Advantages Of The Ford E350 with V10 Engine
- Given identical motor homes both brand and model, the Ford is around $24,000 MSRP cheaper
- The Ford V10 engine has 50% more horse power and torque
- The Ford E350 chassis handles 1430 pounds more weight.
- The E350 is able to tow a heavier load.
- The E350 rear axle is significantly wider which translates to better stability.
- In most places traveled, gasoline costs less than diesel fuel
- The Sprinter diesel has limited mechanical service shops around North America
- The Sprinter diesel is typically outfitted with a propane generator. Propane is a critical fuel for RV operations, and generally needs to be rationed when dry camping.
- This Next Point Is Debatable But Still Worth Noting....The V6 Sprinter diesel engine is not allowed to idle for extended periods. This limitation is detrimental when you need a/c but there are generator restrictions, you are low on propane, or you have a mechanical failure with the generator or roof a/c. The Ford offers a great backup system. The V10 can safely idle for hours on end, heating, cooling, and battery charging, all valuable if you have a baby, pets, or health/respiratory issues.

Ron we have the IVECO Daily with a greater GCVWR than the E450 and a similar fuel consumption to the Sprinter, it is being the chassis of choice here for 28-29ft Motorhomes

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't you just hate all this digital stuff ? Who would think, a wheel sensor.
What does a wheel sensor tell us, that we still have a wheel on the rv ?
I would think the scraping sound and poor handling would act like a wheel sensor if a wheel fell off while we were driving. 🙂

Seriously, Sprinter has a nationwide service map, some states and some counties within the state have more service centers than others listed. Some areas in states are blank, like in BLANK. I figure with my luck that BLANK place is where my Sprinter, if I owned one, would malfunction because that's the kind of luck I have. I'm glad to hear that your situation was resolved in a timely manner for you. :C Maybe more and more service centers have been opening up for sprinters, that would be nice.

ghiotom
Explorer
Explorer
Like ernie1, I have a 2018 Sprinter RV. Had ABS,ESP,and check engine light on(all were for the same reason). Called MB Daytona Beach, FL on Wednesday afternoon and got an appointment for the next day. They had me all fixed up by 12:00, including doing a PCM update, all under warranty. It was a bad wheel sensor.
2018 Sprinter/Thor Four Winds 24HL

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
I took this from another post of mine about motor home considerations.

Advantages Of The Mercedes Sprinter With Diesel Engine
- Offers a 35%-50% improvement in fuel economy over the Ford-V10, when both are loaded and driven identically.
- More ergonomic driver compartment with more leg room.
- Comfort continues with a car-like feel & quiet ride.
- A grander view out the windshield
- Made by Mercedes which people are attracted to.

Advantages Of The Ford E350 with V10 Engine
- Given identical motor homes both brand and model, the Ford is around $24,000 MSRP cheaper
- The Ford V10 engine has 50% more horse power and torque
- The Ford E350 chassis handles 1430 pounds more weight.
- The E350 is able to tow a heavier load.
- The E350 rear axle is significantly wider which translates to better stability.
- In most places traveled, gasoline costs less than diesel fuel
- The Sprinter diesel has limited mechanical service shops around North America
- The Sprinter diesel is typically outfitted with a propane generator. Propane is a critical fuel for RV operations, and generally needs to be rationed when dry camping.
- This Next Point Is Debatable But Still Worth Noting....The V6 Sprinter diesel engine is not allowed to idle for extended periods. This limitation is detrimental when you need a/c but there are generator restrictions, you are low on propane, or you have a mechanical failure with the generator or roof a/c. The Ford offers a great backup system. The V10 can safely idle for hours on end, heating, cooling, and battery charging, all valuable if you have a baby, pets, or health/respiratory issues.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I sure have liked all of mine except for the 240D----that thing was a slug and only lasted a year at our house. We have 2 Benz right now and are happy with them although one is pretty old it has been good.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy thanks for your unconditional support!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
reminds me that many years ago I listened to a radio program called gausses (sp?) garage. folks would call in with their problem vehicles and the guy really knew his business. One fella called in with an issue with his Mercedes and gauss commented that Mercedes were great fine engineered vehicles, but if problems ever developed you were in deep expensive stuff, better have deep pockets.
but if ones ego demands the "best", go for it.
bumpy

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
We like our MB Sprinter. Its been a good vehicle. We have owned a number of MB, they rarely break. Maintenance parts are in line with other vehicles.

Replacement of the fuel filter was $225. On new cars repairs can be expensive.

The perfromance of the Sprinter has exceeded expectations, I would not consider a Ford F450. It is a pleasure to drive. Both my wife and daughter like to drive it.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
I have a 2018 rv on a Mercedes Sprinter 3500 and it ONLY cost about$500 for a front end alignment!! While I was on a trip in Utah and experienced a check engine light I contacted 3 Mercedes dealership and the first two said they don't work on Sprinters and they third one said "yes" they do work on Sprinters and "I can give you an appointment 3 weeks from today". Forgot to mention that at this point in time my Sprinter was still brand new and had under 1,000 miles!!!! Also want to mention that a fuel filter at the dealership was $225!!!

yep, but you are going "first class" :s
bumpy

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
for sprinter owners ,there are dodge truck dealers here in ohio that will work on them . I called way back when I bought mine. and two frieghtliner dealers, been some years but do some calling see what turns up. mines a 2007 still best rv we,ve owned. and I,ve had them all.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 rv on a Mercedes Sprinter 3500 and it ONLY cost about$500 for a front end alignment!! While I was on a trip in Utah and experienced a check engine light I contacted 3 Mercedes dealership and the first two said they don't work on Sprinters and they third one said "yes" they do work on Sprinters and "I can give you an appointment 3 weeks from today". Forgot to mention that at this point in time my Sprinter was still brand new and had under 1,000 miles!!!! Also want to mention that a fuel filter at the dealership was $225!!!

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought my first Benz in 1970, a diesel wagon, and have had about everything since from a Smart car to a tricked out diesel van. Never spent much on maintenance because they don't break much---normal stuff like brakes, tires, and oil changes are just like any other car. You take care of them they take care of you. The rest of that class C is just like everyone else except its a little better and it costs a little more to go first class

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
I drive European cars, and probably always will, God willing, but I will ONLY buy CPO cars, and ONLY with a long bumper-to-bumper, unlimited mileage manufacturer's warranty. Then, when out of warranty, time for another one. Makes a big difference in the wallet!!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
We lease all our MB cars, I would never buy one, much too expensive for parts out of warranty. It's bad enough how they try to rip us off while under warranty never mind without one.
My MB car dealership will not service Sprinters bc they said they do not have the needed software. So, yes, while on the road, you will be limited.
My friend had a Ford class C and went to a MB class C and dropped it soon after, didn't like the way it drove. He now has an 'A' .

yep if you buy a MB you better have deep pockets. I'd get one of the other vehicles available.
bumpy