cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are RV sewer hose supports necessary?

GravelRider
Explorer
Explorer
We just got our travel trailer a couple months ago and have only been out a few times. Thus far, we've only ever boondocked or dry camped, and plan to continue camping this way for probably 90+% of our camping. In a couple of weeks we're leaving for an 11 day trip where we'll be staying in a full hookup spot two nights (not consecutive). Realistically, I will probably empty the grey water tank a time or two (long showers by my wife), and might empty the black once right before we leave. The hose supports seem like an unnecessary expense and packing bulk for only occasional use. Is this really necessary at most campgrounds?
75 REPLIES 75

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wing_zealot wrote:
Iโ€™ve never had one or used one in 35 years of camping. I guess that makes it unnecessary at least for me.

Well we wuz bucket shiitters (tent campers) for a long time. But in only 9-10 years of glamping, never saw the use for one.
Maybe if hooked up full time, but even then only if the ground was uphill to the sewer connection.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve never had one or used one in 35 years of camping. I guess that makes it unnecessary at least for me.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes sometimes. I always carried some and used a few times.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
We use vinyl gutter. Supports the sewer hose better and provides any degree of slope I desire. Stores easily too.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
We might want to consider the practical reasons as to why a park owner may require the sewer hose support:

If your hose has a pin hole, it will not be noticeable with an empty hose sloped to the outlet. If the hose is laying on the ground full of sewer water, a pin hole will cause it to leak its contents and create problems.

A full hose laying on a maintained lawn in a nice park will kill the grass below it.

A hose laying on the grass is more subject to weed whacker damage and leakage.

With the above being said, I bought a support as I was staying in a park that required it. Used it that one time and haven't used it since. I don't leave my hose hooked up and install it only when I intend to use it. Simple process and my outlet is low so I have to "walk it" every time. I also rinse my hose after every use so no solids are stuck on the inner ridges.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
It may be old (start was really old), I was glad to read this thread. We have a very old and low coach and as it is also small, we don't have room to carry things we don't need. And as we rarely stay in camp ground (except for rallies), this is just not an issue.
Thank You All
Matt_C
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
I use one, it takes 3 seconds to set up and only costs about 30 bucks. dumping is much easier as you gave a gradual slope. When I am camping with the 5th wheel and have hookups, I leave the dump valves for the gray open all the time, so I don't have to worry about the shower filling stuff up and then only dump the black when it needs it.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
I just find it interesting that a 3 year old thread has been randomly resurrected twice.

And FWIW this question is completely subjective to the user. So many variables not the least of which is the placement, height and angle of your dump valves and where you are camping and the angle and placement of the hookup. I have them. Sometimes I use them, some times I don't. I go by the rule - better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
a couple months ago, we were in Maricopa County, Arizona and were told that the county requires use of elevated sewer hoses... luckily I had a hose trellis stashed away .
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, you don't need them for efficient dumping of your tanks. If your campground requires them, that is a totally different discussion.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
WinMinnie02 wrote:
No

Not sure where you camp but saying No, is incorrect.
Many RV parks and campgrounds require them for full hookup sites.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
No

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
Been RVing for 30 years. Used an extendable plastic support (similar to PVC cut in half) a few times when first starting out, but it hung on the RV sewer outlet and was never "quite right", so eventually stopped and just "walked" the hose. About 5 years ago, decided to try one of the expanding slinky type. Used it exactly once; finally gave it away as it was more work than it was worth, and took up space.

I typically only hook up electric. Use water from my tank, and will dump at the end of the trip (or earlier if needed). The support is just another thing to set up and take down, which takes longer than simply walking the hose after dumping.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
No the sewer hose support is not necessary. Have not used my in 15 years, waste of money.