cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vehicle for Towing

JonnyRibz
Explorer
Explorer
Good Evening, So I own a 2020 Coleman Lantern 295QB the dry weight is just under 6,300 lbs and with my household items it comes in at around 7,050 lbs. I'm trying to find a vehicle for towing it, I'm trying to avoid buying a truck and stick to an SUV. The 2 SUVs I'm stuck on are the 2017-2020 Nissan Armada and a 2016-2020 Chevy Tahoe Police. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
20 REPLIES 20

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
JonnyRibz wrote:
I guess I should also add that my travel trailer is also my permanent home. Once its set up at an RV park its there to stay until I move, which for being military is every 3 to 4 years. Some of the things you listed I wouldn't be dealing with anyway, only thing I can think of is maybe the firewood but even then its by the bag full and the SUV with a weathertech mat will do fine. And as for why i put my tower inside the vehicle, mainly because its a 2ftx2ftx2ft cube. I strap it in to a seat. The mounting plate it sets in doesnt have anchor points. I have the back bunk room set up as my office and on the rear storage container is where my tower gets put. In the mounting plate the tower sits at an angle and is off the plywood. Half of the case is glass.

Then get whatever you want and pay an RV hauler to move it when needed. You'll spend more on extra fuel in 1 year with a full sized SUV than say a midsized hybrid CUV than you will pay to the hauler, not to mention the higher acquisition cost of the bigger vehicle and more on insurance.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
When I inquired about a SUV for towing, a wise old salesman said, "We have enough trouble keeping those things right side up without a trailer. Get a pickup"

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:

As to the crew cab vs SUV. Iโ€™ve had the CC and I much prefer the SUV. I like being able to store my gear in a locked and air conditioned place. People say just get a bedcover. That does not even compare IMHO. I get to vote with my money and experience so itโ€™s what works for us. Others experience is different and I appreciate that.

We really do have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to choosing a Tow Vehicle.

Thanks!

Jeremiah.

Different strokes for different folks.

Would you want or enjoy carrying a 4kw generator with fuel INSIDE your SUV?

I wouldn't.

Would you want or enjoy carrying a 15 gallon gas fuel tank INSIDE your SUV?

I wouldn't.

Would you want or enjoy putting 3 full sized bicycles inside your SUV?

I wouldn't.

Would you want or enjoy carrying your full of dirt "patio mat" inside your SUV?

I wouldn't.

Would you want or enjoy carrying firewood inside your SUV?

I wouldn't.

Would you want or enjoy carrying your dirt bikes inside of your SUV?

I wouldn't.

There are many more situations like the above that a SUV vehicle really does not make sense..

As far as OP's computer tower goes, why carry that inside the vehicle?

Put it in the trailer, absolutely no need to baby that thing, not sure how you think it got shipped to you.. UPS, FedEx nor USPS gives anything that kind of kid glove care.. Computers can far more abuse than you think..

Over the last 22 yrs I have built and setup around 20,000 PCs for my company, they get shipped on pallets, they get air freighted, they get UPS, FedEx and USPS treatment from not only from the East Coast to West coast but to Canada and even Europe.

I can count on one hand how many failed to boot up on arrival.

I can however say, we have had more arrive damaged via fork trucks spearing them or other physical damage done from tar/oil spills to being dropped from and run over by the delivery truck.

Some folks do feel that owning a SUV is a status symbol, it is not, a SUV is more like a oversized "woodgrained minivan" from the 1980s which replaced the "woodgrained station wagons from the 1950-1980s..

A pickup truck a SUV is not.

I believe in the right tool for the job, sometimes a SUV is OK and there is those times it is not.

Whew, touched a nerve.

Iโ€™ve carried most of that stuff or similar in my vans or SUVโ€™s. Thatโ€™s why I keep a simple tarp around. Quite a handy little tool, the Tarp.

Firewood (Hauled firewood yesterday with my Status symbol SUV, which is Old by this forums standard), gas cans, mowers, appliances. If it fits it goes... plus with the seats flipped forward and out I have tons and tons of tie off points.

Iโ€™m not a statisy kind of person and I donโ€™t really care what you or anybody else thinks or does or feels about my choice. And I didnโ€™t criticize you for yours.

You undoubtedly worked hard for what you have and you use it and enjoy it and it does what you want it to do.

Do what thou wilt.

Iโ€™m just sharing my experience and my preferences. I personally don't really like pickup trucks. Thatโ€™s a preference thing. Some things you really need a pickup truck for...I get it. Iโ€™ve owned a TON of trucks, found myself using the easier to load and easier to haul utility trailer for most heavy stuff. Much more useful and if you buy the right utility trailer more cargo capacity than all but a F450... and I can still pull it with my Tahoe.

Of course The context of this website Is RVโ€™ing.... and the full size SUV does RVโ€™ing very very very well.

Thanks and have a great day

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
If youโ€™re not towing anymore than that get anything. If you like a sedan or smaller
suv you can usually find someone to pull a trailer a few miles for next to nothing.

JonnyRibz
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I should also add that my travel trailer is also my permanent home. Once its set up at an RV park its there to stay until I move, which for being military is every 3 to 4 years. Some of the things you listed I wouldn't be dealing with anyway, only thing I can think of is maybe the firewood but even then its by the bag full and the SUV with a weathertech mat will do fine. And as for why i put my tower inside the vehicle, mainly because its a 2ftx2ftx2ft cube. I strap it in to a seat. The mounting plate it sets in doesnt have anchor points. I have the back bunk room set up as my office and on the rear storage container is where my tower gets put. In the mounting plate the tower sits at an angle and is off the plywood. Half of the case is glass.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
jerem0621 wrote:

As to the crew cab vs SUV. Iโ€™ve had the CC and I much prefer the SUV. I like being able to store my gear in a locked and air conditioned place. People say just get a bedcover. That does not even compare IMHO. I get to vote with my money and experience so itโ€™s what works for us. Others experience is different and I appreciate that.

We really do have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to choosing a Tow Vehicle.

Thanks!

Jeremiah.

Different strokes for different folks.

Would you want or enjoy carrying a 4kw generator with fuel INSIDE your SUV?

I wouldn't.

Would you want or enjoy carrying a 15 gallon gas fuel tank INSIDE your SUV?

I wouldn't.

Would you want or enjoy putting 3 full sized bicycles inside your SUV?

I wouldn't.

Would you want or enjoy carrying your full of dirt "patio mat" inside your SUV?

I wouldn't.

Would you want or enjoy carrying firewood inside your SUV?

I wouldn't.

Would you want or enjoy carrying your dirt bikes inside of your SUV?

I wouldn't.

There are many more situations like the above that a SUV vehicle really does not make sense..

As far as OP's computer tower goes, why carry that inside the vehicle?

Put it in the trailer, absolutely no need to baby that thing, not sure how you think it got shipped to you.. UPS, FedEx nor USPS gives anything that kind of kid glove care.. Computers can far more abuse than you think..

Over the last 22 yrs I have built and setup around 20,000 PCs for my company, they get shipped on pallets, they get air freighted, they get UPS, FedEx and USPS treatment from not only from the East Coast to West coast but to Canada and even Europe.

I can count on one hand how many failed to boot up on arrival.

I can however say, we have had more arrive damaged via fork trucks spearing them or other physical damage done from tar/oil spills to being dropped from and run over by the delivery truck.

Some folks do feel that owning a SUV is a status symbol, it is not, a SUV is more like a oversized "woodgrained minivan" from the 1980s which replaced the "woodgrained station wagons from the 1950-1980s..

A pickup truck a SUV is not.

I believe in the right tool for the job, sometimes a SUV is OK and there is those times it is not.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
poppa wrote:
what is a squishy tire? thought all tires were squishy?

They are not. The tires on the Tahoe were great when empty. When towing they allowed for to much lateral movement.

LT tires fixed that for me. No more squishy handling.

Thanks!

Jeremiah.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

JonnyRibz
Explorer
Explorer
Payload isnt going to be an issue as its just me. The only other significant weight thing that will be in the vehicle is my computer tower and that only weights 50 lbs and will be strapped in to a seat. The Tahoe SSV is more than likely what im going to go with. Tow capacity of 8,400 payload of 1,640. 4x4. Only seats 5, not that i need it. A f150 regular cab 4x4 with a 6.5ft bed would do too

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Campfire Time wrote:

I always avoided PUs. I loved my Suburbans. But now that I have a crew cab truck, I can't imagine going back to a big SUV.

I am always puzzled why folks are so scared of a Pickup truck.

With the advent of the crew cabs you can fit 6 adults easily in a Crew cab.. The 1/2 ton versions ride as soft as the proverbial "Cadillac" with their softer springs.

So, unless you have a absolute need to haul 7-9 adults a pickup truck can easily substitute for a large SUV. Not to mention with a cover or even a cap on the back of the pickup you have lots of additional useful cargo area to work with!

The only downside of a 1/2 ton pickup is it is not easy to find them with the HD or Max Tow payload package off of dealer lots so you do need to check the payload sticker before committing to buying one. Top trim level with long bed often results with cargo payloads of 1,200 lbs unless you find one with HD payload or Max Tow configurations which gets you up to 1,800-2,200 lb payloads.

poppa
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Out of the box the Armada if you get the lower profile tires and IRS will handle the trailer better.

The Tahoe will handle like garbage with the squishy tires GM puts on them.

However,some stiffer LT tires and a perfectly installed WD hitch... Possibly some better tuned shocks and the Tahoe does pretty good.

Mine took some fiddling but it handles great now (like it's on rails)

Thanks and good luck!

Jeremiah
what is a squishy tire? thought all tires were squishy?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Agree, except never had a full size suv until last year.
Given the choice Iโ€™d take a crew cab with a 5โ€™ bed and topper in place of an suv.
The one thing I loved about the Tahoe (sold it recently) is that itโ€™s big stable and cushy like a 1/2 ton truck but considerably shorter, this more maneuverable.
Payload max is debateable. Age old argument, and softer rear springs are the real Achilles heel. The rest of the suv is not maxed out at the rated payload by a long shot. And many suvs are more difficult or not possible to upgrade suspension easily or economically.
If my goal was to have the best trailer hauler Iโ€™d go pickup. Best mall crawler or need 3rd row seats, suv.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Check the payload. Your tongue weight is going to be in the neighborhood of 900#, add that the weight of the hitch and you're close to or over 1000#. Some SUVs have low payloads. If one you look at is say, 1300# then you might be cutting things close.

I always avoided PUs. I loved my Suburbans. But now that I have a crew cab truck, I can't imagine going back to a big SUV.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
2500HD will make towing that trailer fun and most likely handle your next trailer with ease.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
What do you tow it with now? And what have you towed in the past?
To do it with a short suv, make sure you have a good wdh setup correctly, sway control a bonus and trailer brakes adjusted properly and know how to use em.
As mentioned, stout and or lower profile tires help handling as well.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold