Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: New Ram is awsome!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New Ram is awsome!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

Very nice truck. Congrats! The computers are never very accurate. Did you happen to write down the mileage and gallons used and check your MPG that way too?

Not too sure about that. After watching a few FLT mileage runs the computers were pretty close on Rams and even lower than the hand calc at times.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/20 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Apples-to-apples, the Suburban could only get 10mpg with the cruise at 75mph, that dropped to 7 towing the TT.

So with a 36 gallon tank @10mpg, the burb's range was 360 miles. Even though the Ram only has a 32 gal tank, @18 mpg the range is 572 miles. Can't wait to see what the mileage is with the camper on.

I did a quick hand calculation on this last trip and it came out 1/2 mpg less...I'll have to keep better tabs on the next trip.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel

Under renovations:
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
Follow the Renovation here!

SOLD: 2001 K2500 Suburban LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry 34' TT many mods, Hensley Hitch

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/20 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2017 Ram CTD gets about 11-11.5MPG towing my 5er.

Gets over 20 not towing (freeway).

Im sure the big sail has alot to do with it.

I would be interested in what you achieve loaded up.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

RobWNY wrote:

Very nice truck. Congrats! The computers are never very accurate. Did you happen to write down the mileage and gallons used and check your MPG that way too?

Not too sure about that. After watching a few FLT mileage runs the computers were pretty close on Rams and even lower than the hand calc at times.

Always wondered why folks say they're not accurate. Doesn't the computer know exactly how many gallons you've used and exactly how many miles you've gone?

Personally I don't bother doing the hand calc. I figure the mpg display is close enough.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, the computer does not know exactly how much fuel is used and it doesn't even know exactly how fast you are traveling due to varying tire pressure levels causing different tire diameters and other factors. The injectors only use the amount needed and dumps the rest back into the tank. There is no measure of exactly how much is used by each injector, only the time each injector opens/closes based on its fuel mapping. The computer mileage is just an algorithm.

I keep detailed records of almost every fill-up of all 8 vehicles I have owned for the past 15 years which ranged from two BMWs, a Ram 2500, F150 Ecoboost, F150 5.4, C6 Corvette, and a JK Jeep. I also recorded the computer mileage upon every fill-up. On tanks where there are very little stop/starts of the engine like the runs that TFL does in their tests, the computer is very close to calculated. On tanks where there are multiple stops/starts of the engine, it was off anywhere from 1-3 mph in every vehicles I have recorded. Generally, the more stops/starts of the engine the further off it was.

Also, the TFL loop does not use the mileage that each truck's computer says it has traveled. They use the actual distance of the trip, not the distance that the truck said it traveled. Not every vehicles speedo is 100% accurate and the standard for most manufacturers is a bell curve of about +/-3% the last I read. Tire wear and psi also effect the speedo which effects how many miles the vehicle's computer says it traveled which is what the ECM's mpg algorithm is based on.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/20 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My comment regarding the computers not being very accurate is from my experience. I have a 2017 Ram with the 6.4 Hemi. On my last tow, the computer said I got an average of 9.7 MPG. The hand calculation showed I really got 6.9 MPG. That's a huge difference. Of course my fuel gauge isn't very accurate either. I have a 31 gallon tank. I ran my truck to near empty (not towing) and when the computer said I was 27 miles to empty I put gas in. It took 24.3 gallons so I had nearly 7 gallons left in the tank.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/20 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan....first, Congratulations on choosing one of the finest tow vehicles for the RVer. But, and there’s always the “but”...... many Ram owners refer to the computer as the “Lie-O-Meter”! We keep a log of all fuel mileage (computer vs pen and paper), all maintenance, etc. If the computer is “ever” (very seldom) within 2mpg of the pen/paper number.....it’s an anomaly! And, in 140K + miles, has shown greater fuel mileage than pen/paper computed less than a dozen times. Many times off by 5 mpg or greater! In spite of that.....a great truck and tow vehicle! Congratulations......and to remain joyous, “never”, “never”, compute your mileage with pen and paper! [emoticon] memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always buy big 2500 series trucks pulling significant weight with fuel mileage being top priority........oh, is there a reset button on the lie-0-meter ?

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/20 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

I always buy big 2500 series trucks pulling significant weight with fuel mileage being top priority........oh, is there a reset button on the lie-0-meter ?

Yes! But, it’s a very persistent liver! [emoticon] memtb

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

My comment regarding the computers not being very accurate is from my experience. I have a 2017 Ram with the 6.4 Hemi. On my last tow, the computer said I got an average of 9.7 MPG. The hand calculation showed I really got 6.9 MPG. That's a huge difference. Of course my fuel gauge isn't very accurate either. I have a 31 gallon tank. I ran my truck to near empty (not towing) and when the computer said I was 27 miles to empty I put gas in. It took 24.3 gallons so I had nearly 7 gallons left in the tank.

I've literally pulled into a gas station not more than a few blocks after the fuel light came on. I still had 8 gals left after filling up. The gauge is way under 1/4 when the light comes on but I always seem to have 7-8 gals left.
I have never seen 9.7. In fact I'm lucky to see 9 mpg from the computer.
Don't hand calc as that would most likely ruin a good camping trip.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New Ram is awsome!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.