Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Nissan Titan Cummins 5.0L
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Nissan Titan Cummins 5.0L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
dbdap

harrison ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/20 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Day everyone,

In the market for a new (used) tow vehicle and the Titan Cummins is on my list. I understand they are discontinued currently looking at a 2018 XD certified truck with 14,000 miles on it. As far as capacity it will be more than fine for what we have, 24ft 5000lb keystone passport 2400BH. And this will give us room to upgrade if we choose to. Don't plan modding, tuning, or deleting just keep it stock and properly maintained.

Anyone here have this model and how do you like it.

Thank You

MikeRP

Westerville

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/20 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only have this to offer. Very pretty truck and I’m a Cummins fanboy. Last year I was in northern Ohio at a rest area and had the chance to talk with an owner.

He was getting 14-15 mpg which frankly had me scratching my head. And I told him I’m getting legit 19-20 mpg normally, a little less in the winter, a little more in the summer on my 3500 Ram.

The other thing is that it’s not a 2500 or 3500 and will limit your payload down the road if you choose to upgrade your camper.

But I’m sure it’s fun to drive but if I was doing a 1500, I’d get the new 3 rd gen Ram diesel in a 1500 with factory air bags. 34 mpg.

Peace

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why did they stop producing the Nissan/Cummins?

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it fits within your ratings or the numbers you are comfortable with then it is not a bad tow vehicle. My friend has one and loves it fr his 10k bumper pull. He gets about the same fuel mileage I did in my 2014 2500 Cummins when it was stock. We both drive the same always doing 5 over in a state where the speed limit is already 75 mph. I think the problem with comparing fuel mileage is that you don't know how the other person drives and that can swing the mileage by up to a 40% difference.

The other thing that gives the XD a bad rap is the non full floating axles and other things that most 3/4 ton tucks come with these days(even though some didn't a few decades ago). You will mostly get this from people who generally like to over compensate(the "you can never have too much truck" people) and/or believe that factory ratings are law(which they aren't). The XD will be more than fine for what you are pulling and you be happy with it. I would rather pull it with that than most N/A gasser half tons that's for sure.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Didn't sell enough. My personal opinion is that it was Nissan's fault for putting it in a truck than many did not like the appearance of and not giving the truck things like full floating axles and 8 lugs. It's GVWR and payload ratings were another issue for people even though it had similar numbers to the 5.7L Ram 2500's, Power Wagons, older F250 5.4L, older non HD GM 2500's and so on. While I think it will pull 10k trailers fine without them, there are many out there that believe you need these things just to pull a utility trailer.

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/20 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There was a post on this forum, maybe a couple of years ago, which included a rather long video of a man documenting his tow of a trailer longer than yours over mountains and such. Bottom line: The tow was effortless and he was happy with the truck.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Nissan tried to create a market (5/8 ton) instead of putting a superior product into a market that does exist (3/4 ton) and making a competition out of it.

As Shiner says, full floating rear axle and 8 lugs would have gone a long way. Maybe the Titan XD will be back as a true 3/4 ton?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 08:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My biggest concern is that Nissan was the only customer and the engine was discontinued when Nissan quite buying them. I wouldn't plan on any resale value and getting parts or maintenance after a few more years may get challenging. After all, how many diesels does your Nissan dealer work on? How many diesel mechanics have worked on a Nissan (or the 5.0 Cummins, which means the same thing)?

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

My biggest concern is that Nissan was the only customer and the engine was discontinued when Nissan quite buying them. I wouldn't plan on any resale value and getting parts or maintenance after a few more years may get challenging. After all, how many diesels does your Nissan dealer work on? How many diesel mechanics have worked on a Nissan (or the 5.0 Cummins, which means the same thing)?

Nissan was not the only customer for this engine. It was also put in a lot of medium duty cargo vans like the Freightliner MT Series. You can get a lot of parts for this engine from any Cummins authorized distributor just like you can for the 6.7L. I will say that you will also get them a lot cheaper this way then getting them for MOPAR or Nissan. My company is a Cummins distributor and sells the water pump for the 6.7L for $45 while MOPAR will sell the same part in the same Cummins box and a sticker over it for $200.

As far as service goes, you can also go to most diesel service shops. It is not much different than any other V8 diesel and can easily be worked by a knowledgeable diesel mechanic with the right software. It is not as easy to work on as the 6.7L Cummins from what I see, but then again neither is the 6.7L PSD or 6.6L Duramax from my experiences helping friends do the same kind of upgrades like bigger turbos, injectors, and water pumps that I have done on my Cummins trucks. My 6.7L CTD is easier to work on(to me) than my old 3.5L Ecoboost and the 3.6L Pentastar in my JK sitting outside and would probably put the 5.0L inline with those two engines in terms of how hard it is to get to things.

* This post was edited 07/09/20 09:47am by ShinerBock *

fx2tom

CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/20 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put 35k miles on one in one year. Averaged 18-19 MPG unloaded. Towed my 8300 lb 35.5ft trailer with ease.If I were in the market again I would definitely look at them. Resale will suck but if keeping long term that isn't an issue.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Nissan Titan Cummins 5.0L
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.