cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Step not retracting completely "jackhammering' (UPDATE)

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Opened the door the step didn't come out completely. Closed the door and it was sluggish. Lubed all points and checked it the next day. When it attempts to go into the fully retracted position it starts to jackhammer. I went underneath and had dear wife open and close the door and i can't figure it out. It will not retract completely. The other day when it was acting up I gave it a push with my foot thinking maybe corrosives or dirt on it. It worked ok. Now jackhammer. I turned it off it's in the open ready position.
5 REPLIES 5

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
wtravlr1 wrote:
If they are Kwikee steps, most likely the nylon gear is stripped. Need a new motor assembly. Easy install. Or if you are really mechanical you can take it apart and rotate nylon gear 180d. and it will work for a while longer. Just make sure to unplug all electric to steps while working on them. kwikee motor change

yup, did exactly that and it works fine. Gears are metal. Lubed well and re installed.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Pardon me for intruding on your post. Mine is working fine but the warning light on the dash don't go out. Step works fine and the light underneath goes out but the dash warning light stays on. Your situation can be cured with a new motor assembly that is about $40 from Auto Zone

I changed out the motor on BIL's Monaco and used a power window motor from an older Ford. Don't remember which one it was though. The motor works fine. I watched two videos and saw the gear assemblies in question. IF the larger of the two gears is the one that failed it makes sense that turning it 180* and using the newer side would solve the issue. The coach is a 2009. If the gears lasted that long they may go another 10 years. It's a simple fix and not an issue for me to try.

Mine does not have a warning light however if it did my first choice would be to check the electrical connections at and near the step. Unplug and plug back in or look for a wire loose. If the step has a ground wire check that.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pardon me for intruding on your post. Mine is working fine but the warning light on the dash don't go out. Step works fine and the light underneath goes out but the dash warning light stays on. Your situation can be cured with a new motor assembly that is about $40 from Auto Zone

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
THIS! ^^^^ Just spring for the new motor, though. Gear teeth may be getting brittle and may break again quicker.

wtravlr1
Explorer
Explorer
If they are Kwikee steps, most likely the nylon gear is stripped. Need a new motor assembly. Easy install. Or if you are really mechanical you can take it apart and rotate nylon gear 180d. and it will work for a while longer. Just make sure to unplug all electric to steps while working on them. kwikee motor change