cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remember the bike box?

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
I had dropped a note a couple of weeks ago, about getting a bile box built, a ladder and the spare moved.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/
21 REPLIES 21

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyhaupt wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
What a great idea ! With room to spare.

Might want to make sure it tight .

It's tight. Double lipped, double attached.

Gary

I'm sorry, I meant to say: Make sure it locks tight.

Thieves are going to assume that there are very valuable things in it and want to break it open to check. The latch on the door looks like the sort of thing you could easily pry open with a crow bar. Maybe that's OK though. They won't do as much damage that way breaking in.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:

It's tight. Double lipped, double attached.

Gary

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
On the farm, you can put 40 acres under a roof sooner or later you need to leave something outside.
In RV stuff grows to fit the space.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
JRScooby...the gen is a baby Yamaha and it rides in storage now..and the chairs have a place under already, too. This was mostly just spiffballing. Before I do anything I will just dry-fit and see what it looks like, etc.

Murphy wins..everytime.

Gary

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyhaupt wrote:
A shelf....yes, for sure. My thought now is to put the shelf low, and let the bikes sit on that..leaving the lower area for 'stuff'. My Yammy 1000 inverter, a fuel can, the sewer hose.

Thoughts welcome.

Gary

A bottom shelf would be easier, only need legs to hold up. And if loading/hauling something heavy lower is better. Adding weight that far back could cause handling issues. Might be better to put grill and chairs back there, and the gen up between axles

garyhaupt wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
Looks good to me. Think I would add a shelf. Someplace to carry couple hooks, pulley and rope. Might be useful to get tire down and up if need to use it.

I can reach the tire standing...to actually undo it or put it back, I will likely need some kind of stool. I have one of them thar plastic folding ones...I may need to upgrade to an actual small folding step thing. Because the box is frameless and is so long..it will damage the top if I am walking on it.

Really tho? It won't be me taking the tire down.

Gary

You doing it, or somebody else, putting that spare back up there, that box will take some weight, unless you have something to do the lifting.
BTW, make sure the valve stem is down where you can reach it. Murphy's law implies you're less likely to need a spare that is properly inflated.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
I assume those are brake/turn/backup lights across the bottom. Put the license plate on the door. When you run the light for the plate, put one on the inside as well to assist with loading/unloading at night.

I 'think' the plate is going to go on the left side of the box, in a frame. Recall the old pick-ups? An interior light...that, is a good idea. Thanks.

I am also going to add turn signals/running lights to the rear side of the box.

Gary

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
I assume those are brake/turn/backup lights across the bottom. Put the license plate on the door. When you run the light for the plate, put one on the inside as well to assist with loading/unloading at night.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
looks good, reminds me of a fiberglass bicycle carrier I saw that carried the bikes on end IIRC. would swing down, had wheels and could be dropped off and moved to chain to a tree etc.
I thought it would be great for a small rV to carry assorted things instead of bicycles.
bumpy

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Looks good to me. Think I would add a shelf. Someplace to carry couple hooks, pulley and rope. Might be useful to get tire down and up if need to use it.

I can reach the tire standing...to actually undo it or put it back, I will likely need some kind of stool. I have one of them thar plastic folding ones...I may need to upgrade to an actual small folding step thing. Because the box is frameless and is so long..it will damage the top if I am walking on it.

Really tho? It won't be me taking the tire down.

Gary

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Just needs an led display that let's you write "Back Off! "
Our, in our case, a plexiglass panel under which we can add travel stickers 🙂
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
A shelf....yes, for sure. My thought now is to put the shelf low, and let the bikes sit on that..leaving the lower area for 'stuff'. My Yammy 1000 inverter, a fuel can, the sewer hose.

Thoughts welcome.

Gary

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Looks great - I have a Giant Talon mountain bike - not sure which model you have - but I'd love to have this setup. Looks like room to add a shelf above.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II