Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: How much squat can I expect?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> How much squat can I expect?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Njmurvin

Simi Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking at a new 2020 Duramax 3500 4x4 (crew, standard box). The bed rails are 59" off the ground (3" taller than my 16 year old Dodge 3500). The bed is also 3" taller than my existing truck at 39".

With my trailer leveled, the bottom of my overhang is at 60" giving only 1 inch of clearance. In order to get the trailer to ride level and give 6" clearance to the bedrails, The truck would need to squat 5". Assuming the pin weight of my trailer is about 2000-2400lbs, is that a reasonable expectation? The payload of the Chevy truck is 4185 lbs. So, I'm guessing it may not squat all that much.

I never really paid attention to how much my Dodge squats under the weight of the trailer because the trailer leveled out pretty well (maybe just a tad nose down) and there was always sufficient rail clearance.

The axles are already flipped on the trailer. So, welding on frame sections as spacers would be my only option for raising the trailer. I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Busdriver

Shepherdsville Ky 40165

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably 2 to 3 inches

Busdriver 2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

Njmurvin

Simi Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Busdriver. Thanks for the response. Is that the amount of squat you get with your GD? I think our trailers have pretty comparable pin weights.

Is your Dmax a 4x4? Does everything level out pretty well with the trailer attached?

Busdriver

Shepherdsville Ky 40165

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 03:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have found with all my trucks had several, also three different campers they all pretty much the same

dpglifestyle

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 03:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2016 GMC 35000 4x4 and with about 3800lbs pin load we get about 2" of squat. Our Lifestyles RV came with a high clearance suspension and I only have 5" of bed clearance when level. Not sure you're going to be level and have much bed clearance with that setup.

2015 Lifestyle LS36FW
2016 GMC 3500 CC Dually

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure about your specific truck but I recall people talking about replacing the spacers on the 1 ton truck rear springs with the 3/4 ton truck spacers to get a couple inches lower.

Never did it myself, so not sure if it's people running their mouths or if it's real.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

lee worsdell

elmvale

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my 17 dually drops 2 inchs then I level with my air bags. If I don't I get flashed every time at night.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Njmurvin, With your light RV pin weight, probably only a couple of inches! With a very heavy trailer pin/hitch weight you “may” get close to your needed “squat”. But, you “would not” be loved by others if you do any night driving.....your headlights would be well up into the tress. After our first trip with our Ram 3500 soft suspension towing a very high pin weight RV, resulted in night driving on low beams to replicate the unloaded truck high beams. When passing an opposing vehicle, I had to go to “high beams” to put my lights above the approaching vehicle. For our next trip.....we had air bags!

These newer trucks are ridiculously high, and make maintaining a level truck and 5th wheel RV while maintaining adequate box top rail/RV clearance, a very difficult proposition! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder how much lower a 2wd model would be.

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't say regarding the new truck. My truck is pretty much the same as your old truck and it squats 1 1/2" - 2" with a 2,000# pin attached. I hope that reference point helps. It sits empty with a little rake so the truck rides pretty much level when towing. I couldn't "upgrade" my truck as my trailer overhang is only 57". Nor, could I sell the trailer to someone with a newer truck. Probably will have to go as a combo when the time comes. It could be worse the, 4WD Ford F350 sits at 60 1/2".

It sounds like you haven't purchased the truck yet. When I was measuring bed rail height on trucks, I found the duallies sat about 2" lower. The Ram was at 57" but that was a few years ago.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> How much squat can I expect?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.