cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip report: The Tioga Area of Yosemite

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not the most ambitious trip we've ever taken -- but better than staying home. Here is our blog post -- lots of photos:

Tioga

And in case you are wondering, of course we "social distanced" like traveling hermits. We boondocked and did not go into any stores, so it was essentially like staying home (except for gas stations).
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
9 REPLIES 9

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
rexlion, I've got to be fair to Toyota. It has been a great truck -- 90,000 miles with virtually no repairs. And we have really beaten up this poor little Tacoma.

The problem isn't the vibration while off-road towing, since I have to go so slow to protect the trailer. The problem is how I drive on the forest roads without the trailer -- there are long stretches of washboard, sudden "rock gardens" in the roadway, potholes the size of bathtubs. I do my best to avoid damaging the truck, but my best is often not good enough.

I would estimate that we drive on really bad forest roads for about 500 to a thousand miles a year -- certainly not all the time, but often enough to shake things up.
About our trailer

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
It turns out that the blower motor was really toast -- a connector plug had shorted out, burning the components. The mechanic showed me the bad motor -- melted plastic, scorch marks, very dramatic. He said that this sometimes happens with vehicles that have done a lot of rough off-roading, because of the vibration.
But...but...it's a Toyota! They aren't supposed to do that!
๐Ÿ˜‰
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
It turns out that the blower motor was really toast -- a connector plug had shorted out, burning the components. The mechanic showed me the bad motor -- melted plastic, scorch marks, very dramatic. He said that this sometimes happens with vehicles that have done a lot of rough off-roading, because of the vibration.
About our trailer

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for refreshing the memories of the many wonderful hikes I've done in those Tioga areas.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Awesome report and pictures It looks like you had a great time. As far as the blower motor, definitely check the fuse, you just never know if it's blown. If the fuse is good take out the three screws holding the motor in and make sure it's not stuck with anything sicked up off the floor of the truck.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cal, the lake is a lot lower than that right now -- I hope it will rise as the snow melts!
About our trailer

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice -- thanks. Picture postcard area, here's one of Saddlebag lake.
Cal

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the nice pictures and trip report.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
As usual great pictures and comments. TY. 106F...thatโ€™s hot!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad