Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Replace OEM tires with 2 years life left?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Replace OEM tires with 2 years life left?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 04:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on the wheels involved maybe you talk the dealer into swapping from another unit. All they can say is no.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What kind of tires do the manufacturers put on trailers? The cheapest! Your best insurance; upgrade to a higher load rated tire and get quality. Pay now, or pay later.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally.......I’d replace with a tire of good reputation. Many tires that fail, shown “zero” outward signs of impending failure.....belt “slippage” is not always readily apparent with a visual inspection! Many years ago, I observed a some old tires the had increased it’s circumference by over 6”, without a tape measure.....you would not have known. It took me a while to determine why the tires( multi-axle trailer) we’re contacting each other. I initially thought that I had a suspension failure. Nope......just tires getting much larger! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tell dealer you want brand new tires in place of ones that are already 2-3 years old on a brand new coach that's been sitting in the sun

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Kalama Kurt

Southern Washington

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

Interest rates being about .25% and all. LOL.
My bank pays 0.01% on a checking acct. Not exactly what I was counting on 20 years ago when I retired.

HSBC is paying 1.63%. Not much of an improvement, but some...

wowens79

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 3 year old China bomb blow last year. I'd debated changing them, and wished I had. Ended up doing about $200 of damage.

Worst part was it was on the way home from my sons lacrosse tourney, and we had been sitting in 90+ degree heat for 4-5 hours then had to change the tire in 97 degree heat on a freshly paved black interstate. We had it changed and back on the road in less than 15 minutes. it was on the left side, and no one moves over to give a little room. Very nerve racking.

2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 241k miles and climbing
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Kalama Kurt

Southern Washington

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL wrote:

Tell dealer you want brand new tires in place of ones that are already 2-3 years old on a brand new coach that's been sitting in the sun

Tried that...but thanks. The RV market is hot at the moment. No one wants to fly or stay in hotels due to Covid. Hopefully, this should help on the consignment sale of our old coach...

Kalama Kurt

Southern Washington

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wowens79 wrote:

I had a 3 year old China bomb blow last year. I'd debated changing them, and wished I had. Ended up doing about $200 of damage.

Worst part was it was on the way home from my sons lacrosse tourney, and we had been sitting in 90+ degree heat for 4-5 hours then had to change the tire in 97 degree heat on a freshly paved black interstate. We had it changed and back on the road in less than 15 minutes. it was on the left side, and no one moves over to give a little room. Very nerve racking.

First hand stories provide a powerful incentive...thanks. I'm pretty well convinced they need to be changed out. (In fact I was before posting) Now trying to determine between all the options. LT, Endurance, Maxxis, Sailun, 80 or 110 psi wheels, etc.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

I am hearing lots of good things about Sailun, even thought they are made in China. But, what about Walmart for auto service? Seems like there could be a better place to buy tires.

I'm more tempted to go with Goodyear due to the USA made and reputable tire service departments.

Discount Tire is a good place to buy! Can't beat a perfect track record on the ENDURANCE.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 10:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kalama Kurt wrote:

First hand stories provide a powerful incentive...thanks. I'm pretty well convinced they need to be changed out. (In fact I was before posting) Now trying to determine between all the options. LT, Endurance, Maxxis, Sailun, 80 or 110 psi wheels, etc.

Well, here's a 2nd hand story - my buddy last year rolling home from our annual trip with his 6-year old tires had a blowout and got stuck beside the interstate for a few hours. Also, tore up the underside of a wheel well pretty good but thankfully didn't do any other damage. My trailer is 2 years newer and that did it for me. I swapped out my stock tires over the winter that had 11/15 date codes - went up a load range too so I feel good about the change. I went with Carlisle which are made in China but do have a good reputation. America's Tire I was out the door for $400 - 15" E rated, 2830#/ea.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Replace OEM tires with 2 years life left?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.