Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: GM HD Trucks Many with AWD instead of 4WD
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > GM HD Trucks Many with AWD instead of 4WD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
gattorgetter

michigan

Full Member

Joined: 08/31/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/08/20 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will look but i think that is that has the auto... i looked for a solid hour while they were going down the line....
No awd... the 4th button is auto

gattorgetter

michigan

Full Member

Joined: 08/31/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/08/20 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Message me whatever info you have... vin) and i can look it up on my end

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 02/28/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 07/08/20 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gattorgetter wrote:

What trim package? I can find one at the plant tomorrow and look
It's a Crew Cab LT Duramax. PM sent with the info

* This post was edited 07/08/20 02:26pm by RobWNY *


2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.


Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/08/20 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gattorgetter wrote:

I build these trucks.... it is either 2 h 4l/4h. Or those 3 plus the auto.... depending on trim pkg


Let's not ruin the fantasy or reason to complain with real facts....lol.
I questioned this 2 pages ago as Ida bet a weeks pay that ALL the HD 4x4 trucks of any of the big 3 still have 2 speed transfer cases.

However, the peanut gallery just kept clamoring on about how they like AWD or hate it because it aint like pappys old Willys...


"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/08/20 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

gattorgetter wrote:

What trim package? I can find one at the plant tomorrow and look
It's a Crew Cab LT Duramax. PM sent with the info


NICE Truck!
GMC or Family Truckster model (Natl Lampoons vacation...)?

parker.rowe

Delaware

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/08/20 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

My new truck has 4 choices: Auto/AWD, 2WD,4Hi,4 Low


Thats what I though.

Not what I would consider "AWD" thats any lesser than the old part time cases.

Just has the extra feature of automatically engaging the front wheels when slip is detected if you want.

If you don't like it, put it in 2WD, and use 4WD when you need it.

Put some tape over the Auto button so it doesn't offend.


2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000


Thermoguy

Graham, WA

Full Member

Joined: 01/04/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/08/20 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

mkirsch wrote:

AWD and traction control probably would have worked well in that situation.

Traditional 4x4, even with a limited slip or locking rear diff, is at best a THREE wheel drive system, and that one front wheel that's spinning doesn't bring anything to the party except some slung mud. If you've got open diffs front and rear then you're down to a TWO wheel drive system, and the wheels that get power are always the ones with the LEAST traction.

AWD doesn't let you get to that point. If you're stuck, you're truly stuck because all four wheels have no traction. You're not stuck because the two wheels that might be able to get a little bite are just sitting there while the other two spin.

AWD will cover 99.99999% of cases, except maybe rock crawling or mud bogging. If you're doing those with a brand new production vehicle, I'd call your sanity into question.


I have seen a AWD stuck spinning each wheel, then taking power from the spinning wheel, until finally. It took power from all the wheels. and it just sat there doing nothing.


This right here is the problem with AWD - I have a Ford Explorer - work vehicle. The first snow, going up a hill, the wheels started to slip, all wheels started to slip. It didn't matter how much I pushed my foot down, it wouldn't go. Started to roll backwards. I had to play with the AWD functions, found one where it turns of the limited slip. Then I could spin the wheels until I could power up the hill. Went and bought studded tires as soon as the weather allowed me to get out. A truck with this feature would be useless unless you can turn it off.

From other posts, it sounds like a similar feature on a Yukon I used to have, Auto was a 4WD feature that would engage the front if it started to slip. Not sure if it worked, but I would turn it on if the roads were slippery but not enough for true 4WD. This is OK and a nice piece of mind, but a truck needs a true 4x4 transfer case.

parker.rowe

Delaware

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/09/20 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

This is OK and a nice piece of mind, but a truck needs a true 4x4 transfer case.


But...it is a true 4x4 transfercase.

It's like an evolution of the full-time 4x4 transfercases, with the benefit of only engaging the front axle when it slips via computer controlled clutches, rather then spinning them all the time via a viscous coupler or center differential.

Auto=full time 4x4
2H=2WD
4H=4 Lock or 4H
4L=4L

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/29/2003

View Profile



Posted: 07/09/20 07:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the electronic Autotrac is an option on LT, and standard on the LTZ and High Country. The WT and standard LT do not get the Auto button.


Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 04/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 07/09/20 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

mkirsch wrote:

AWD and traction control probably would have worked well in that situation.

Traditional 4x4, even with a limited slip or locking rear diff, is at best a THREE wheel drive system, and that one front wheel that's spinning doesn't bring anything to the party except some slung mud. If you've got open diffs front and rear then you're down to a TWO wheel drive system, and the wheels that get power are always the ones with the LEAST traction.

AWD doesn't let you get to that point. If you're stuck, you're truly stuck because all four wheels have no traction. You're not stuck because the two wheels that might be able to get a little bite are just sitting there while the other two spin.

AWD will cover 99.99999% of cases, except maybe rock crawling or mud bogging. If you're doing those with a brand new production vehicle, I'd call your sanity into question.


I have seen a AWD stuck spinning each wheel, then taking power from the spinning wheel, until finally. It took power from all the wheels. and it just sat there doing nothing.


Yup, and I have seen 4x4's stuck spinning ALL the wheels, mud flying, going nowhere too.

What's your point? You can come up with a corner case for ANY kind of drive system where it will fail and leave you stuck.


Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > GM HD Trucks Many with AWD instead of 4WD
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.