Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Paid Caravans to Alaska Worth it?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Paid Caravans to Alaska Worth it?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've made couple trips to AK from Texas in '15' and '18' no way did it cost us $10,000. We did a mix of state campgrounds, Homer spit and private campgrounds.

We have shared campgrounds with caravans seemed like the wagonmaster was the first to arrive and setup some sort of welcome area for his travelers and help them find their assigned space. In the morning there was coffee and donuts I not sure if it was the wagonmaster or the tailgunner that handled that.

Since we were on our own time if we liked a place we stayed an extra day or two. We were in Fairbanks and spent several days there, did the discovery paddlewheeler, did the museum of the north, went to Chena hotsprings and had our Appletini in the Ice Museum. DW wanted to do the restaurants from one of those TV food shows. So we ate at the Silver Gulch Brewery and restaurant and they were going to have brew tasting the following Saturday or Sunday so we added a couple days on our stay. Turned out a front moved in and it rained for three days. The DW did get another chance to try a featured dish from the TV show and I got to taste the Alaskan brewmasters best.

The biggest expence was Halibut fishing charter, the license, processing and shipping frozen on to Florida. We learned, saved on the '18' trip we added a 3cu.ft. freezer to the 5er for the Halibut and Salmon.

While I was out fishing DW was doing her favorite kayaking in the tidepools.

Would I pay for a spot on a caravan to Alaska? No. DW thinks we should signup to work on one even if it only covered our camp fees and a few meals and some attractions.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
17 MS 36 RSSB3
Gone 04 HH DA LS 33.5 RLTG
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 2014 we left Mexico for the western U.S. then up to Vancouver Island and across Canada, down through the Great Lakes, back into Canada to Ottawa. We flew from there to Nova Scotia for a week, then traveled back down through the U.S.

Gas prices were high (Langley, BC $5.75 a gallon). We covered 10,000 miles in four months. Who needs a guide? Everything is in English, you have GPS, cellphones, we boondocked, took advantage of Passport America parks when we could, forest service, etc.

Had a blast. Why spend so much money for someone to take you places you may not want to go and then pay for most of your expenses anyway. We spent a total of $5500, most of it on fuel.

Sorry, I'm a free bird.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By my math the cost is over $300 per day.

CGs on your own will be $35-$45 per day, all commercial CGs, not state rec.areas or Canadian provincial parks which are much nicer IMO. Some excursions are included. Prices vary greatly with excursion. Some dinners are included, most likely limited choice menu. Of course all other travel expenses are on you. You get to meet everyone in the group. Some you will like. Others, not so much. You have the security of a leader & a mop up guy in case you break down. If you like the hand holding, fine, but Alaska is not the wild & wooly north with bears & wolves running all over the place. The roads are not the roads you see in old films of the Alcan with bulldozers & army trucks slip sliding all over.

Contrary to reports, mostly from people who have never been there, the North is a very civilised place. The roads are for the most part, good. Those flags marking frost heaves in certain areas are there for a reason. There are long stretches of no cell service. People survived without phones anywhere before. There is no need to have a northern trip planned out to the last day.

If you like somewhere, stay awhile. If somebody gives you a pointer on what to go see off the beaten path or an attraction, do it. If the weather is not great, stay put. There is no reason or pressure to be somewhere.

Done it four times. The itch is growing to do it a fifth time.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

morley

British Columbia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/20 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 2010 we went to Alaska with our fifth wheel and truck shown in my signature. We left July 1st and returned home August 10th. We travelled over 11,000 kms and it cost us $6200.00 in total for everything, fuel, eats, treats , camp grounds, cool ones, attractions, etc.
The only reservations for Campgrounds we made were for Denali, although the Kenai Peninsula truly is busy during fishing season. We went to all parts of Alaska while there.

2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acdii wrote:

I can see a caravan for traveling through Alaska, some roads get pretty rough, and having buddies along in case of a breakdown is a plus, but $10,000? That seems pretty steep.

Buddies?
I mean, yeah I'll help someone if they breakdown, but having a pack of people who are afraid of the dark and me being the only guy with air tools, I'm not spending my $10k to fix people's RVs fr a month!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

canadafan

Norfolk UK

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cannot imagine doing this. When I am camping I like the idea that I can go where I like, when I like and meet folks I like. Why be tied to someone else's plan ?

If you are worried about breakdowns then rent an RV it will cost about half of your figure and will include 24/7 breakdown cover.

Trevor

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/20 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Acdii wrote:

I can see a caravan for traveling through Alaska, some roads get pretty rough, and having buddies along in case of a breakdown is a plus, but $10,000? That seems pretty steep.

Buddies?
I mean, yeah I'll help someone if they breakdown, but having a pack of people who are afraid of the dark and me being the only guy with air tools, I'm not spending my $10k to fix people's RVs fr a month!
Yea I can hear the uproar now when you tell the repair can be done in 45 minutes for $200 or the whole caravan can wait for 6 hours for mobile service.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Contrary to reports, mostly from people who have never been there, the North is a very civilised place. The roads are for the most part, good. Those flags marking frost heaves in certain areas are there for a reason. There are long stretches of no cell service. People survived without phones anywhere before. There is no need to have a northern trip planned out to the last day."

This in spades. There are long stretches with no cell service; in the summer however, those stretches are fairly well traveled. Simple matter of waving someone down to get assistance or at worst an offer to call for help down the road.

In the old days of the late '70's, the Canada side (gravel) was typically much easier / better to travel on than the allegedly paved Alaska side. Of course, that portion of the road is now what you see (in Canada) if you look for the "Old Alaska Highway" signs.

In multiple trips on the Alcan, my most common problem was broken headlights, closely followed by flat tires. By and large, I'd guess that one would have to have their own spares of those and a caravan wouldn't help. Even some of the other problems I recall (warped rotor, failed axle seal, etc), a caravan wouldn't help except possibly to transport a person to the next town to arrange help.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/20 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know about caravans to alaska. I have been a wagon master for several caravans through Mexico. They are a social experience. If you are not sociable, you are probably wasting your money. The reason for using won in Mexico are a bit different since you are dealing with another language.

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny.
I am born and raised in a small mountain settlement in South Eastern B.C. and I hate big crowds and cities.
I wish there were “Caravans” to help us backwoods people negotiate some of those big city Freeways ... ( grin)
We have for years budgeted money for our “extended camping trips” ( RVing) from about 1996 when my vacation allotment allowed longer trips. Our First extended trip was with an old 24ft 5er with a 3/4 ton 6lt truck. My Wife is a book keeper/ Computer programmer and she keeps records of all of our trips in a log book.
That First long trip we averaged $170per day CND , we got bigger and bigger rigs and the price of everything has “mostly” gone up in price over the years and 3 years ago we retired and down sized from a 35ft 5er to a new truck and new camper, which is what the same type of rig we had way back when we first got married.
Today we budget $175.00 per day and we have been pretty close.
Don’t forget the prices of things in Canada are more expensive than the USA, however your dollar right now is about 25% better than ours, so prices “ kinda” even out...Kinda” I won’t go into that to much but you get the idea.
To each their own, however I don’t see any need to have someone lead you on roads that are the farther north you go, sometimes the only roads you can take.
I suggest you buy the newest Milepost travel book which you can get on Amazon. Read it / review it first then see what you think.
Traveling up north ( Canada and up) in my opinion is much easier than in the big cities and super Hwys down below the 49th.
Have fun.
Soup.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Paid Caravans to Alaska Worth it?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.