Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Tow weight
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tow weight

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Ejraste

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

You can pull right up to the max of your trucks ratings as long as you don't exceed any ratings. Your limiting factor, the rating you will probably get to firs is the payload rating, or possibly the rear axle rating. To understand all the ratings better, read this clicky

Ok, so say I wanted to buy an trailer first before purchasing a new truck. Let’s use something like this for example, which has a weight under 5100 lbs. Clicky

Based on numbers, I would think this would be possible as long as my tongue weight doesn’t overload my payload.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

keep in mind fully loaded that trailer can be as much as 7900 lbs. (it has a decent amount of carrying capacity at 2865)

giving you a tongue weight almost 1200 lbs.....

depending how you load it (and the rest of your stuff) you can likely do it but i would expect a less than enjoyable towing experience. i would suggest buying the best hitch and sway control you can afford. another thing not mentioned here is to make sure your brakes are up to snuff as that 3.3 is going to struggle to hold the weight back with compression coming down hill.

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Ejraste

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jebby14 wrote:

keep in mind fully loaded that trailer can be as much as 7900 lbs. (it has a decent amount of carrying capacity at 2865)

depending how you load it (and the rest of your stuff) you can likely do it but i would expect a less than enjoyable towing experience. i would suggest buying the best hitch and sway control you can afford. another thing not mentioned here is to make sure your brakes are up to snuff as that 3.3 is going to struggle to hold the weight back with compression coming down hill.

Very true and i would not max out the trailer with cargo. I would take a separate vehicle to help with cargo as we only want it for a seasonal type campground to go to each year. So I would def keep the numbers low.

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of “it could”.
Just look at the trailer’s GVWR. If not listed, just add the dry weight and cargo capacity. Use that for your towing weight. Figure 12-15% of that for your tongue weight.
The tow rating is determined by subtracting the vehicle curb weight (delivery weight with full tank) from the GCWR. That is why you should not buy a trailer that is near the full tow rating. Unless you are traveling with an empty truck. IOW, every pound you add to the truck gets taken away from your tow capacity.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited
2019 F150 SCrew STX SB 5.0 factory tow package

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ejraste wrote:

Jebby14 wrote:

Very true and i would not max out the trailer with cargo. I would take a separate vehicle to help with cargo as we only want it for a seasonal type campground to go to each year. So I would def keep the numbers low.
Put everything you can in the trailer, it only adds 12% to the tongue weight. 100 pounds put in the trailer instead of the truck only adds 12 lbs to the tongue weight, you save 88 lbs of payload.

Ejraste

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Put everything you can in the trailer, it only adds 12% to the tongue weight. 100 pounds put in the trailer instead of the truck only adds 12 lbs to the tongue weight, you save 88 lbs of payload.

Yeah I know. It seems that my issue isn’t necessarily the payload cause I would keep that low, but with my 3.3 liter V6 not having enough power to pull the loaded trailer or any trailer of the size that we want.

My next question would be what trucks/engines does everyone recommend? A few I was looking at were the 5.3L in the Silverado or the 5.7 in the RAMS or the 3.0 ecodiesel in the RAM. I’m assuming they would all be sufficient enough for my application?

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/20 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an idea for you , rent one to tow, then see how it is before you buy it. A bit more money spent but you will have satisfaction knowing that what you buy will tow similar. Yes i would update the truck. But i like easy, and confterble.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Ejraste

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

I have an idea for you , rent one to tow, then see how it is before you buy it. A bit more money spent but you will have satisfaction knowing that what you buy will tow similar. Yes i would update the truck. But i like easy, and confterble.

Yeah, but if so many experienced people on this forum are stating that my little engine will have problems, it’s prob better to just go for a different truck/engine. I’m assuming that most V8’s and the turbo diesel v6’s should be able to pull what I’m looking for which would be a 30 foot 7000 lb trailer. I was looking at a 2018 Sierra with the 5.3L and then potentially looking at the RAMS.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't give up on the F150 'cause yours had the weakest numbers....if your a Ford fan.
Fords F150 has over a dozen different GVWR ratings....4 different RAWR packages.
Of course you know what your F150 numbers are.
But from the top;
#1. 7850 gvwr...4800 rawr....2500 lb in the bed payloads.

#2. 7600 gvwr...4550 rawr... 2200 lb in the bed payloads

#3. 7050 gvwr...4050 rawr... 1800 lb in the bed payloads

#4. 6800 gvwr...3800 rawr...1500 lb in the bed payloads.

#5 . yours
And you can get any of them with the 3.5 ecoboost engine that has 375 hp and a butz kicking 470 lbs torque. And those that own them say they get 20s mpg out on the road not towing.

Ram
Of course the Ram with the 5.7 hemi 4wd crew cab 3.92 gears 8 speed tranny at 395 hp and 410 torque. The 2020 1500 has a 7100 gvwr and 4100 rawr with a 11k tow rating. No problems with the size trailer your looking at.

Chevy/GMC...
1500 crew cab 4wd NHT tow package has the 6.2 engine at 420 hp and 460 torque with the 10 speed tranny 7300 gvwr and 4150 rawr. GM says up to 13400 lb tow rating. The same truck with the 5.3 v8 at 355hp and 383 torque 10 speed tranny won't have any issue with that size trailer.

And of course the 3/4 ton....or one ton SRW and I'm surprised some one hasn't said you gotta' have a one ton DRW.
Go shopping and drive all of them. LOL...we would love to spend your money [emoticon].

1500 GM specs
chevy ordering guide

Fleet ford specs
clicky link

Ram body builders guide specs
ram clicky link

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/20 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ejraste wrote:

Now you're literally only going to tow it to a seasonal campground, so once there, once home? No side trips, summer trips, etc that you mentioned earlier before you "get" a seasonal campsite?
In that case I would 100% NOT consider getting a bigger/badder/worse fuel mileage truck for 2 days a year with a trailer. (I'm assuming your seasonal campsite won't be in Colorado or Nova Scotia or something like that. I'm picturing a couple hundred mile radius of home?
Buy the trailer, hook it up, tow it there, second vehicle, or not, who cares, it's once a year deal.
If you tow it there and don't like how it drives, you can go rent a 3/4 ton for a day to pull it home for like $150.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Tow weight
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.