cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do ice cubes in the black tank really work?

dedmiston
I stumbled across an interesting YouTube video today that takes a look at the age old topic of pouring a bag of ice down the toilet.

From what I can tell, it helps but only a little. I hadn't thought of this before, but since ice floats, it really doesn't make contact with the solids at the bottom of the tank unless you drain the liquids first. I think the quantity and makeup of the ice would be big variables too.

The video is worth a watch though.

SENSITIVITY WARNING: There is no actual human waste in the video, but he uses simulated waste per a NASA testing recipe. Personally, I score this a 4 of 10 on the yucky scale. As much as we discuss tank maintenance on these forums, there shouldn't be anything we haven't already discussed here before. Nobody should be shocked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH6acEmqvcw

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
22 REPLIES 22

H___E
Explorer
Explorer
We have been using Pine Sol and drop in tank treatment for 12 years. Always put a couple of gallons of water in tank after dump and flush. So far no issues with sensors or smell. When I dump I run the flush water until the waste runs clean. (Use clear plastic in 3" hose)

dedmiston
Grit dog wrote:
Poof!!

You're a smart guy though. You knew that would happen.

Use dirty language, watch your posts get deleted. It's not complicated.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Poof!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
.and have the cap on the vent that I can remove to insert the tube and flush the gray tank.

If you're going that far, why not just dump ice cubes down the gray vent? ๐Ÿ˜›
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
The ice cubes just keep "le crapo" kool, calm and collected, nothing more.

1/4 tank of water one bag if ice cubes and one 1/4 cup dishwaser detergent and having the black water tank in the rear and off center helps a lot, I drive slowlly arround the block jerking the steering wheel back and forth, it does clean the tank preety good unfortunately all the cheap sensors in all the tanks were useles from the second month since purchased, I made a window for the potable water tank and marked it, use a flash light down the head and the shower tub lets me know that the grey is full.

Now all my neighbors do the tank wadlle, they all wanted to know what on earth I was doing so I showed them, now we do not have stinky tanks. I also made a 12 foot wand with white PVC pipe with a union in the middle and it hooks to the garden hose and glued a cap at the other end and drilled small holes, and have the cap on the vent that I can remove to insert the tube and flush the gray tank.

navegator

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think it is any more effective than just leaving water in the black tank to slosh around while driving. If you do use ice, I'm pretty sure you'd need a lot more than what is used that video.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
How long do you think ice will last in the tank?

When you are finished dumping add a few gallons of water & let that slosh around till the next dumping.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
harley4275 wrote:
Start using the geo Method, will take a few fills and dumps but walls and sensors get slippery and all stuff falls off.

I've been doing this for awhile now .. A couple of years ago, my trailer was sitting for three years with a 1/2 full tank. Took it to the dump, and was surprised that with only one re-fill and dump, the sensors were still clean.

Often after a drive, they will show 1/3, at least until the tank walls dry off, but I'm happy to always have the other two lights work.
2004 Nissan Titan

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I camp with 10 to 15 friends at our personal property. At the end of every weekend we dump the leftover ice into my black tank. I drive 50 miles home on hill crooked roads. My tank looks good when I shine a light down the toilet after dumping. Results may vary.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Start using the geo Method, will take a few fills and dumps but walls and sensors get slippery and all stuff falls off.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
It will work if you use enough ice and right amount of water. It is like rocks being sloshed around if you drive it on a rough road until they melt. Reason it works better when it is cold outside.
Put about a third of a tank of water and about half that in ice, and start driving immediately. That will clean the sides and should get some off the bottom but ice floats so too much water might not do too good on the bottom.
one thing that I think would work well, is with some liquid detergent and maybe some calgon in the bottom with valve closed a hose nozzle and good pressure in through the toilet. Especially one of those wand with the flow reducer taken out.Blast the bottom good and sides and when the tank is getting full, have someone open the sewer valve and keep blasting until the little clear elbow in the sewer hose runs clear and clean. Just be careful to keep the toilet flush valve open so it and the seal won't get damaged possibly.
If you can look into the emptied tank first with a flashlight and see what there is it would possibly help directing the nozzle.
Didn't say this is a bouquet of flowers experience.
Would this damage any sensors...someone know?

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
My sensors quit working because the switch that you push to read them got broke. After that I didn't have to worry about cleaning the tank to try and keep them working. It's bee 4 years now and everything is just fine. I should have broken the switch sooner.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
The simple answer is No.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
I think that my sensor must have been installed directly under the drop shoot. Just a flush of water makes it read 3/4 full. Being that the sensor has always been inaccurate, I just use the sniff test to empty my black tank.

Mine has been pretty accurate, but when I put 2 gallons of water in after dumping, it always shows 1/3.. I think they put the first sensor too low.
2004 Nissan Titan