cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using the HD Roadmaster Rear Sway Bar RM-1139-163?

BananaHammer
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, looking for some advice and hopefully some first-hand information. I just picked up my first (32ft) Class C brand new after starting out in a 20-year-old Class A (34ft). I read up on the ride quality so it is as I expected to be which is of course way worse than what I had with the old A. So I'm looking at sway bars as my first suspension upgrade as it's clear sway is the biggest issue it suffers from and this would likely provide the most bang for the buck.

So as I was looking, it's clear the Hellwigs offer the best value and that was what I was going to pull the trigger on, but when comparing the two options I found that Roadmaster makes both a 1 1/2" bar (1139-147) for the E-450 and a 1 5/8" (1139-163) which they label for Emergency Vehicles Only. While my RV is certainly not an Emergency Vehicle, it is on the larger side of Class C's where I'm feeling like I could use the extra rigidity.

Has anyone looked into this option? Has anyone pulled the trigger and can share the results or maybe even been in both and can compare between the two?

Any help is appreciated!!
3 REPLIES 3

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure you can have too much sway bar on a C. I would go with the 1 5/8 without hesitation... along with poly bushings. I have 1 3/8 on the front and rear with poly bushings and may go larger on the rear this Fall.

Gary

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
In Elgin, IL is a truck, emergency vehicle (fire truck), bus, ambulance, and motor home suspension shop called Champion Frame Align. Give them a call. If George still works there, he would be able to enlighten you regarding your question on Roadmaster bar choices.

CLICK HERE to get their phone number and read up on their capabilities.

They set me up 13 years ago with front & rear Roadmaster bars, Koni-RV shocks, Henderson rear track bar, Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, and front wheel alignment. The cost back then to me was an expensive $3900.

My only regret was going with George's recommendation of Koni-RV shocks. I should have said "NO, I want the heavy duty Bilstein shocks with lifetime warranty". I have the heavy duty Bilstein shocks today and they are the right ones for my 24 foot E350 motor home.

CLICK HERE to get to my write-up with pictures covering my evaluation why I feel the Bilsteins are the right shock for RV applications......especially for the bigger rigs like the one you just bought.

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest a call to Henderson's Lineup in Grants Pass, OR. See what they have to say.