cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery maintenance

Skwerl
Explorer
Explorer
My Dutchmen Dorado came with only one 12v DC Series 27 battery, which is inadequate storage for dry camping. I have found room for a second battery. [Yay!] Wil my current charging system be adequate to charge both batteries in a resonable time? I have an Onan 4000 [RV QG 4000] Generator, and a Converter/Charger 6300 A, 120v, 30A. Thank you!
4 REPLIES 4

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Isn't the 6300 an older converter ?

If so, even though it works it might not be as efficient as a more up to date model.
Would it be beneficial to upgrade to something like , just as an example, a PD 9000 series with a charge wizard built in to it .
That combined with an AGM battery bank in 6 or 12v, whatever you chose, might be a better option, a more efficient system. Doesn't the AGM system charge a little faster and allow a lower depletion level than the standard less expensive wet cell battery ?

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
It really depends on your camping style and energy requirements. With minimal electric use refer, water pump, a few lights and 2 6 volt GC batteries you should last a week before your batteries are at 50% SOC I doubt your water will last that long. You can then charge them fully when you get home. A cheaper solution is to get a 40 amp portable charger to charge your batteries if you watch TV, use the internet etc.(have higher electrical requirements) and use your 6300 to top charge your batteries after the portable says full and use as a converter when plugged in. Your 6300 will only charge at about 5 amps and is more of a maintainer than a charger. Your genset is more than adequate. Check the output of your 6300, what is the voltage output reading when plugged in?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Your generator is adequate but it takes a long time to fully charge RV batteries...bulk is fast but absorption phase to float....2 to 3 hours. The “power” of your recharging system isn’t usually the limiting factor. Batteries accept less and less as they fill. Solar would be far easier.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad