cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help with motor size

Alaska_RV
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone. Hoping someone can assist me as we are looking at a RV today. We are in the market for a drivable RV and looking at an older Four Winds 24 foot model today with a 360 as the motor. Several others that are smaller have the 460.

Question: is the 360 sufficient for a RV of this size? We are not planning on pulling anything but a small tracker boat. I realize it will not be a race car but do not want to join the 40 mile per hour tops crowd. Live in Alaska and the RV will spend the majority of its time here. Drove a smaller 21 foot Gulfstream the other day and it seem to have lots of pick up even on moderate hills.

Not new to RVs just new to the Class C family. I also hear that the older E350 E450 have good drive trains with reliability.

Thanks for the help.
8 REPLIES 8

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:
“but do not want to join the 40 mile per hour tops crowd”

For many new motorhomes on a steep grade that’s about all they’ll do.

Forward or backward :B

I drove up a hill last year where I slowed so much I thought I was going to go back where I just came from.

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
If the OP is referring to a MOPAR...For reference, our first C was a 1978 20' Jamboree on a Dodge chassis powered by their 318! We bought it new and put about 50k miles on it. It took us all over the US with no issues.
If maintained, the 460 and Dodge 360 will provide respectable service. If you're asking about the Ford 360, we had a truck with one and it could not pass anything, especially a gas station!

Gary

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
gbopp wrote:
Don't be too concerned with the size of the engine. There really isn't much of a selection.
They all get you from point A to point B. Some just take a little longer than others.

The overall condition of the RV is more important than the engine size.

^Overly broad statement and shows you aren't well read on what the OP is asking.

Engine wise, I would only consider 6.0 Chevy or V10 Ford unless I was really good with a wrench.

I said there isn't much of a selection for RV engines.
You narowed it down to two engines.
I guess you feel the engine make/size is more important than the overall condition of the RV.
Different strokes.... 🙂

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I am guessing OP is looking at older 360 Ford.
I had a older class C with a Chev 350. It did alright, but as we hit the road more with more cargo it was a little week.
I am sure you must be on a budget. I would be looking for something a little newer with a four speed transmission in either GM or Ford chassis. TBI (throttle body injection) would be more efficient in fuel mileage.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
“but do not want to join the 40 mile per hour tops crowd”

For many new motorhomes on a steep grade that’s about all they’ll do.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
gbopp wrote:
Don't be too concerned with the size of the engine. There really isn't much of a selection.
They all get you from point A to point B. Some just take a little longer than others.

^Overly broad statement and shows you aren't well read on what the OP is asking.
Like carringb said, 360 has to be an OLD Dodge or even older Ford assuming they put 360 fords in RVs back in the day.
460 Ford, good motor, but I wouldn't even consider a carburetor version.
Based on the engine selections presented and the OPs question, I'm surmising budget well under $10k and not a gear head or shade tree mechanic.
With that I'd advise away from RVs older than 20 years and certainly stay away from ones parked out on the tundra.
Any older vehicle can be fairly reliable or a basket case (not just the engine/drivetrain, but brakes, electrical etc.
RVs are also typically much more expensive in AK for what you get. I actually sold our camper, trailers, atv in AK before we moved back after living there for a bit and made a healthy profit. All were bought/brought from the L48 with us when we moved up.

With flights and fuel cheap, I would consider lining up a bunch of good candidates down here, fly down with $$. Find the right one and drive back. End of the day it "may" cost similar as buying up north but will be a much greater selection.
Caveat being if truly looking at old low buck RVs I wouldn't want to drive an unknown one 2000mi back up there before going through it and some good shakedown miles.

Engine wise, I would only consider 6.0 Chevy or V10 Ford unless I was really good with a wrench.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
How old are you looking at? The Chrysler 360 hasn’t been put in a motorhome for almost 40 years. And the Ford 460 since ‘96.

I’d avoid any Chrysler based RV because the rear chassis are proprietary to each RV maker and even power train parts are hard to find now.

I’d at least try to to stick with a 460 with fuel injection which would start with ‘88 model years. A Ford 351 or a Chevy 350 should be fine as well if you don’t tow.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST