Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: New Trailer Quality Control
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> New Trailer Quality Control

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
36guy

Princeton

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to say......this stuff is not surprising, I think overall, quality has really dropped off in the rv business. We bought a Grand Design Imagine 2600 RL, in 2018, its a 30 foot trailer, and although the build quality is satisfactory inside the trailer, the warranties on units today leave the buyer hanging. Grand Design advertises a 3 year warranty, BUT, the chassis and axles are warranted by Lippert and dexter and have a one year warranty. We bought in late september in northern alberta, hauled it home to bc and parked it for the winter, covered in our pole barn.
Limited use the next summer, my wife was sick, in the hospital two and a half months, so we didn't get more than one trip in, during that trip, I noticed the springs had gone flat, called GD, they referred me to Dexter, they were no help. So, Grand Design stepped up, sent me all new springs and hardware, I replaced them, and the unit sat another winter, up on blocks. By now, the one year warranty is long over on the axles and chassis, so the trailer sat till this june, we got in it with a full tank of fresh water and headed out, not thirty miles from here, noticed the rear axle bent.
3500 lb axles and springs are clearly not heavy enough, back on the phone to grand Design, they couldn't be more helpful, but I'm too far past the end of my warranty for their help, which, by the way are still covering the rest of the unit. This trailer has around fifty hours road time, a complete failure should NEVER happen, especially on what amounts to a new trailer. So, now I'm out $3600 tax in for a new undercarriage, all the best stuff, guaranteed never to break again. The complaint I have is not the fault of Grand Design, it is the way the warranties are structured, a three year warranty should cover the entire unit, just like the warranties on cars, in my case, we take it up the butt for what is clearly a design issue, and although the unit is covered by a three year warranty, not all the parts in the unit are. These units are not cheap, manufacturers have to do a better job of looking after their customers.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherman wrote:

I bought a new 2019 Coleman 17 RD this spring and finally got it about a month ago. Unfortunately the dealer couldn't give me the orientation tour due to social distancing, etc, I understand that. The one picture I should have taken, didn't cross my mind at the time, the front driver side window had about 4 inches of butyl tape missing between the window frame and aluminum siding, water could just pour in there. Thats when I found about half of the screws holding the 2 pieces of window frame together were completely stripped out. I have enough smarts to re align the outer frame on the body, applied the tape and got it sealed properly. I also took the diffusers off the taps, ran the water and what comes out but wood chips, oh joy, now I wonder what's in the water heater and water tank. Last I had my suspicions about the water connections, sure thing, the only 2 that were tight are on the water heater, kitchen hot and cold, bathroom hot and cold, toilet water were barely finger tight. The 3 on the water tank and pump, same thing. Now I have to take off the shower taps to check behind the wall. This trailer was built by Keystone a division of Dutchmen RV. No, I'm not taking it back to the dealer, Layzee Acres RV, an appropriate name for them. Not even the basic clean up was done inside the trailer. So when you go to buy new, take your time, I couldn't because of the Covid disaster. Can't blame the build condition of this trailer on the situation, it was made well before that. My belief in American prowess in quality has gone right down the toilet.
[image]
Missing caulk on top of the water tank inlet
[image]
7 of the 15 screws holding the window frame were stripped on inside. I had to drill new holes and replace screws.
[image]
Caulk missing in the corner of the shower stall
[image]
Bare staples in the shower stall
[image]
No caulk whatsoever at the base of the shower stall
[image]
Hard to see but saw dust and pieces of wood stuck between the shower stall walls and floor pan
[image]
Plywood sheet cut too short that goes under the cushion of the dinette, your butt will fall into the storage space.
[image]
didn't count them all but at least 50-75 of these little metal shards laying all over under the mattress and seat cushions, on the floor, etc.
[image]

Maybe one of the mods can make the pictures bigger to really see the lousy workmanship.

MOD'S EDIT: I can't do much with your pictures because they're so small. If I blow them up, they just get blurry like this last one.

You've been a member here, for almost 20 years, and you're surprised by this?[emoticon]

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Devocamper

West Haven CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no quality control in the rv industry never has been .

08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's called maximizing profitability.
Quality and Service does not make money the Consumermists say. The China model.
Buy tow one for spare parts to build one that fits and is finished.
You got a warranty? Take it to the Dealer. Post every time you go back when they call and say it is ready. First see your Doctor for some nerve pills. They say three times is a charm. Third time or a few months not fixed, if your state has a lemon law call your Lawyer.
Ask for compensation for lost planned trips etc at the same rate you and your wife earn together and so on. Happy Trails

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You've been a member here, for almost 20 years, and you're surprised by this?

Not quite to this extent of complete shoddy workmanship. Drunken chimps and orangutans could do better.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/20 01:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherman wrote:

You've been a member here, for almost 20 years, and you're surprised by this?

Not quite to this extent of complete shoddy workmanship. Drunken chimps and orangutans could do better.

I meant that how have you not read all the posts about poor quality in the RV industry? I've been a member since 2005 and there's not a single day that there's not at least one post about poor quality. Usually multiple posts about it, especially newbies who didn't do any research before buying a RV and then complain about it.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

It's called maximizing profitability.

People won't buy a high quality TT. Price is too high for most purchasers. So we get what we pay for.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/20 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Except for a “very” few of the RVs being manufactured.......there is “NO” quality control in today’s RVs! I personally know several people that have bought new rvs in the last couple of years.....they are a sad testimony to the RVs manufactured today JMO. For the money they spent on a new unit, they could have purchased a “FAR” superior used RV. But, it wouldn’t be “new” .....which seems to mean a great deal to many people. Plus, you can’t just go to an RV lot and purchase.....you may have to put in a little effort and miles to purchase a well-maintained used unit! memtb

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always find it interesting the people will buy a 5-10-50 year old house but won't buy a 2-3 year old RV.

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/20 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting they wouldn't do a walkthrough with you. We purchased our current rig on April 15th... so during the height of the "social distancing" and regulations here in our state. And they still did a PDI with us. All staff wore masks and they didn't get too close to us.

That being said, the majority of the stuff in your picture is stuff we've had in every camper we've owned (this is our third). We clean up what we can ourselves (like the sawdust, metal shards, etc etc)... sawdust will appear for awhile after you purchase it. The rest, we just keep a list going throughout the summer then drop it off in the fall once our camping trips are done for the year. It is what it is with buying new these days.

2020 Keystone Montana 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> New Trailer Quality Control
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.