Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What will Canadians fo this fall/winter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> What will Canadians fo this fall/winter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
wapiticountry

Mountain West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/20 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tequila wrote:

I also think the Canadian border will stay closed until next year. The difference between infection in the US and Canada is huge so I can't see it opening. I decided to leave my RV home this year and book a flight in November, which I may or may not use.

I do think some sort of herd immunity may be possible by year end simply because of the rate of spread. Hell of away to get there though.
The infection rate and death rate in Quebec is almost identical to that of either Texas or California. So maybe you are beating the drums of success a bit too loudly. Of course Canada has an overall lower rate of infection than the US, it has a vastly greater percentage of the population living in suburban and rural areas. Though the media apparently refuses to report it, the statistical facts clearly show that COVID is primarily spread in Urban settings, which is to be expected. There is are reasons the infection rates in NYC, Boston, New Jersey and the other eastern metro areas far exceed those elsewhere in the US and those reasons are population density, public transportation and the unavoidable interactions with many people that those issues create.

Tequila

Canada - Summer, Mexico - Winter

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quebec seems to be a special case. I hate to say it, but they do not like following rules. Witness a few groups of Quebec snowbirds not heading home to quarantine but caught going shopping in March. They also had a higher portion of care home issues.

Actually Canada has a higher urban population rate than the US, 81.5% vs 76%. Most Canadians live in cities, mainly in a 200 mile strip along the southern border.

navigator2346

texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys better buy another pair of long johns just in case

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/20 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

May have to buy my first winter coat in years. I have lived in Mexico for 6 months s year for 14 years, even took out residency. Canadian' winters don't thrill me and I am too old to ski anymore. I prefer a floater and a book for exercise.

* This post was edited 07/05/20 07:35am by an administrator/moderator *

Bromley

Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/20 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was planning on leaving in Sept. I have lived in Mexico for 10 years all year but came back this year for 7 months. I have my permanent residence status for Mexico so hoping I can get through the border as I will be going home. As Americans seem to be able to cross the border if travelling to Alaska.

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/20 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almost the same situation as myself except I have temporal, that needs renewing in Jan. If I cant make it I will start over, take enough monthly out of my RRIF so I can go direct to permanent. It will mean I cant drive my vehicle down anymore, at least not past San Carlos. A friend of mine down there in his RV is now on a ventilator in Manzanillo and his wife is sick. They were being careful, but you have to eat. That has bought me down to earth. I am not going until there is a vaccine or it disappears on its own. A winter in Canada, beats all the future ones in a grave. I booked a flight for November, but it does not look good for taking it.

Talleyho69

Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many people from Mexico, both from the US and Canada have crossed the border going north. There is no problem.

If you are going to Canada they have their quarantine rules.

If you are going to the US, they just welcome you back.

The border "closings" are for things like going across for dinner, a dental appointment, that kind of thing, not preventing legal residents from returning.

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/20 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You cannot cross from Canada to the US unless you are essential. Same for crossing from the USA to Canada.

* This post was edited 07/13/20 08:14pm by an administrator/moderator *

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/20 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

not true. If you are American you can transit to Alaska and a friend told me he contacted the US border and they told him he could transit the US with a Mexican passport or resident card. Whether you'd want to is another matter, of course.

Tequila

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/20 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

also my neighbor who has both a US & Canadian passport left in their RV for California yesterday to visit family. They did not come back, so they must have got across.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> What will Canadians fo this fall/winter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.