cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

brake buddy

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
anyone using one of these? Just had 1 given to me but is missing the 2d alert for the tow vehicle. Is it REALLY needed or just a nice to have peace of mind thing? I do not have one for my installed one for my normal towed vehicle either but it is not a brake buddy either. Watched you tube videos but all they showed was that it is just a check to show everything is working.

How does it work? is it a pendulum system in the unit? do the alert senders/receiver need to replaced as a set or can they be replaced individually?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a Brake Buddy since 1998 - - and it still works great! The earlier versions never had the alert system with the sender/receiver. I get along just fine without it. I set the sensitivity so that the Brake Buddy comes on when I stop fast (short of an emergency stop) so that I know that's it's working OK. Normal easy stops do not activate it.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
my receiver keep giving me false alerts so stopped using it. I can feel it if my 16 year old classic brake buddy engages the toad brakes.
I also set the BB at 2 as I really only want to apply the brakes in a panic stop.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the replies, got an email from the manuf and the receiver is not a needed item. They did verify it is a pendulum system.

blawless
Explorer
Explorer
In answer to your question, the receiving/sending unit just plugs into the unit and the coach cigarette lighter socket. They do not have to be matched. They all run on the same frequency. If you're just missing the coach receiver and can find another one it will match the one on the unit. The system is inertia based. It's a great simple unit can be switched from vehicle to vehicle. Factory service is excellent. Mine is 8yrs old and malfunctioned, called brake buddy service, sent the unit to them they refurbished it with new air pump, power cord, reset digital read out for $75 including return postage took less than a week. Great service, saved $1400 on cost of buying a new replacement unit.
Retired and enjoying it!

2005 Coachmen Aurora 3380 MBS Class A F53 V10 Banks Power System.
2014 Jeep Compass Toad
2001 Fleetwood Prowler 255B 5th wheel
2003 F150 King Ranch Supercrew 4X4

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I have one and it works perfectly
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
When I towed, I used a Brake Buddy Classic. Was very pleased with the product and the customer service. I understood the alert for the toad is a transmitter and therefore needed. IMO, I would call Brake Buddy and ask them. They are fantastic with customer service.

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the original Brake Buddy Analog Classic for 18 years and it has served me extremely well. When needing to make a sudden stop it is great to have the toad brakes helping.

You can send the unit to Brake Buddy corporation and they will do an overhaul at a very reasonable price. Well worth it.

Brake Buddy FAQ's