cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flashlights

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I put this here because we need another one for the coach as well as at home.
We bought a supposed 3,00 lumen flashlight from Bass Pro, for 70.00. It was rechargeable. Plugged it u to an hdmi adapter to charge and next thing I know the light is on and the flashlight is really too hot to handle. The on off switch was supposed to turn green when fully charged or so we though. There was no real instructions of clues on the package.
So...I need to get a couple of good single LED high power flashlights that will work not maybe work until you leave the store.
Suggestions even the 6 volt battery sized ones might be acceptable. I cannot fin my 4 cell a maglight but when I do I would like to put a LED conversion in it but not for $60.00.
Ideas?
42 REPLIES 42

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
I have a handheld spotlight with 1,000,000,000 candlepower not sure how many lumens it is but it will light up a football field...only problem...is it plugs into a cigarette lighter.
I wonder if they make a 12w volt batter pack that would handle it. The Sear Diehard is just too heavy.

Back in the day, when I was a boy, I had a friend who had something like that. He plugged it into the Cigarette lighter on my wore out 1964 Chevy Biscayne. After awhile the light went out and flames started to come out from under the dash !!! (The dash was made of metal so it didn't hurt anything) I had to slide under the dash and blow the flame out.

The lighter never worked again.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think night vision tech would greatly reduce the need for powerful light night hunting.
But one thing I would change if elected god would be replace all the yellow door lights with red. I know some times an places red light outside the door can indicate issues. But red will let you see the area you need to, and let you see what is in the shadow better.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
JRscooby wrote:

How often do you need that much light? Light up that much area?
IMHO, most use for this kind of light is for illegal hunting.

Those are great for hunting. And not all night hunting is illegal. I suppose if you were night hunting illegally, you might not want to use that much light, and it would be better if it were red.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a hunter so have a plethora of flashlights and headlamps.....anything from 30 lumens up to 7000 lumens.

Much prefer headlamps, have several in the trailer and once the sun goes down, keep one on my head.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
" My wife is already trying to claim one for her sewing room."
Back when I got my first cell phone, a friend warned me, "Sooner or later, your wife will witch about the bill. Once that starts, the only way to stop is get her her own"
Sounds like best solution with lights.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
I have a handheld spotlight with 1,000,000,000 candlepower not sure how many lumens it is but it will light up a football field...only problem...is it plugs into a cigarette lighter.
I wonder if they make a 12w volt batter pack that would handle it. The Sear Diehard is just too heavy.

How often do you need that much light? Light up that much area?
IMHO, most use for this kind of light is for illegal hunting.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
I recently bought this pair of COB flashlights. They are stupid bright on full, have both a magnet and a hook, and are USB rechargeable. $20 for the pair. They're so bright that one of them is now permanently attached to the hutch on my toolbox in the garage and plugged into the USB socket in the power strip. It allows a great view into the drawers including the cavernous bottom drawer. I have 2 big LED tube lights, 200W of led bulbs in the garage door opener, and this little $10 flashlight easily outshines them all. I couldn't be happier.

Thanks for the pointer. I bought a pair and they arrived today, great task lights and very versatile in positioning the light. Rechargeable lithium battery is great. My wife is already trying to claim one for her sewing room.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I bought this LED one at Princess Auto, a chain discount store in Canada, on sale for $12, complete with AC and 12 volt DC chargers. Very bright.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

down_home
Explorer
Explorer

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
pasusan wrote:
We bought a Lux-Pro flashlight at Lowes a few years ago.

Now we have 7 of them. One in each camper, two in the barn, one in the garage, one in the kitchen, and one in the basement.

I guess you can tell - we love 'em.

We also have a couple of headlights for project work around the house. Don't take them camping as when you look at someone it shines in their eyes - better to shine a flashlight at the ground.

I take headlight camping. But they live in toolbox. If I need to make a repair I want the best, most practical tool for job.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a Lux-Pro flashlight at Lowes a few years ago.

Now we have 7 of them. One in each camper, two in the barn, one in the garage, one in the kitchen, and one in the basement.

I guess you can tell - we love 'em.

We also have a couple of headlights for project work around the house. Don't take them camping as when you look at someone it shines in their eyes - better to shine a flashlight at the ground.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Veebyes wrote:
i have a collection of head lights stored in places where I might need a light. Can't beat a light that shines in the direction that you turn your head & don't have to hold it.

Sometimes you can. For instance, walking thru a CG, handheld light can point at ground. Headlights can shine on others even when the wearer is not trying to see into sites.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
i have a collection of head lights stored in places where I might need a light. Can't beat a light that shines in the direction that you turn your head & don't have to hold it.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
For the RV, I have a D-cell Maglite mounted just inside the entry door. Handy for entering at night so we can find the actual light switch, as well as for quick trips outside in the middle of the night. Really only needs batteries ever few years.

But the most handy flashlight I have bought recently is this HF one. Rechargeable via USB port. Holds a charge for many months between uses, and charges fast. Best for mechanical jobs, because the base magnet is super strong, and the head swivels to point the light where you need it. I want another. They also have a shorter less powerful one. Want one of those too, LOL.

Harbor Freight Flashlight
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver