cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving breakers in the camper on while away?

jaycoman89
Explorer
Explorer
Hello campers,

I've heard different opinions on this. My Jayco sits permanently on a campground that supplies shore power. I've been told to turn all the breakers (the ones inside, not at the pedestal) off when I leave, but I've been told but many more that they leave their breakers on, and they just turn the air off at the thermostat and the water heater off when they leave.

Just curious on opinions here. I turned my breakers off every time but left them on this time so the fridge would stay on. Thoughts?
36 REPLIES 36

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
deltabravo wrote:
kellem wrote:
we leave trailer plugged up

What in tarnation?!?

I though this was an electrical discussion, not plumbing.

I thought more along the lines of needing a laxative. It is the Pharmacist in me.

Rough crowd here so let's rephrase so I don't feel compelled to change my diet.
The wife and I prefer to keep our trailer plugged into an electrical outlet year around and have suffered no consequences by doing so.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
In theory, if the power is on and mice happen to chew through the wiring it would be possible for a short to occur and a fire might happen.

I would rather the power be on so at least I electrocute the little bugger that chewed the wiring. If the trailer is gonna burn down, better it happen when I'm not there, and not the first night I'm back and the power is back on...

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
kellem wrote:

What in tarnation?!?

I thought more along the lines of needing a laxative. It is the Pharmacist in me.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Never thought about turning the breakers off, ever.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
No need to turn anything off. I don't even turn off the water when I leave. At a permanent spot you will want the power to run the fridge and keep the battery charged if the power does go out. If you don't need any of that then just turn off tenpower at the pedestal. The cheap charges they put in can overcharge and boil he battery.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
kellem wrote:

What in tarnation?!?

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
If you turn off the breakers when you leave you will come back to dead batteries because the DC charging system is on one of those breakers.

Food in the fridge will go bad., unless you unload it before leaving.

If someone doesn't want AC power on in their rig when they lave, pull the shore power cord out of the park pedestal.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
In theory, if the power is on and mice happen to chew through the wiring it would be possible for a short to occur and a fire might happen.
That would be a win win, wouldn't have to deal with mice problems or wiring problems in my new replacement trailer.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
GDS-3950BH wrote:
brianosaur wrote:

Sounds like paranoid old timers

Here? You're kidding right? LOL!
Best post, got a chuckle out of that.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
brianosaur wrote:

Sounds like paranoid old timers

Here? You're kidding right? LOL!

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I were worried, I'd just unplug from the pedestal.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I have indeed heard of it but personally don't practice it.

We know an elderly couple "our age" that are fanatical about shutting everything down, flipping breakers on top of unplugging everything.
They follow the same regime in their home before leaving for a duration.

Contrary to their beliefs, we leave trailer plugged up year around and even leave furnace set to 38* to avoid some unloading.
4th trailer and never an issue.

When leaving the house for a month or more, we simply lock the door behind us.

We all have different DNA.

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar situation, but what I do is turn the main breaker off at the post/ panel and then remove the feeder cable and store it in the trailer compartment. ( It only takes a minute)
That way I don't have to worry about someone coming by and turning on something in the trailer and the feeder cable is not left out in the weather elements

Guy

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
jaycoman89 wrote:
Hello campers,

I've heard different opinions on this. My Jayco sits permanently on a campground that supplies shore power. I've been told to turn all the breakers (the ones inside, not at the pedestal) off when I leave, but I've been told but many more that they leave their breakers on, and they just turn the air off at the thermostat and the water heater off when they leave.

Just curious on opinions here. I turned my breakers off every time but left them on this time so the fridge would stay on. Thoughts?

I never turn off the breakers in my RV. Also, most breakers are not rated for switch duty.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.