cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can an RV even get East of the Hudson?

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
This was a year we were supposed to go east (Down East as we say). It looks like apart from unloading the firearms and such, we may not be able to go through New Jersey, New York and Connecticut without stopping for two weeks.

Is it really that bad there?
Can we get a permit to drive through and not stop?

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.
7 REPLIES 7

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
There is no reason to go through any part of New Jersey to get to the New England States. Though when I went that way, I stopped for a few nights at a New Jersey military RV park (April 2015) just so I could add another state to my sticker.

The same with Connecticut, though we volunteered with the COE in Thomaston CT for 6 months that summer.

Camping ain't cheap in New England, but it was a bucket list thing for me, and the wife's brother lived near Hartford, CT.

We still plan to go back and spend a lot of money traveling around.

Yesterday we crossed the state line from Texas to New Mexico. Flashing sign said face masks are required everywhere in NM. Haven't seen anyone wearing one yet, but we haven't been to any place with more than a few people yet.

From what I see and hear, folks are traveling. Just be ready to wear your masks.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
At this point, most everyone I know in Connecticut is basically going about their business, wearing masks in stores and doing the "social distancing" thing as needed in other places.

We went to a campground last weekend in Connecticut, and there were campers from Rhode Island and New York there. At the campground, some playground equipment was off limits, and they limited access to the pool (needed to sign up), and restricted the number of people in the arcade and office.

I do not know the details of what the latest rule changes are, no one seems to know.

Matt Colie: "Is it really that bad there?
Can we get a permit to drive through and not stop?"

By "bad there", if you are talking about the china virus, not at all - it is fading quick. I think (!) the new regulations are meant to reduce infected people from traveling here until more time passes.

I don't know of any permit, I would just drive through, and stop for gas if you need it. I have not heard of any police enforcing these regulations and mandates, heck they don't even know what they are supposed to do.

I don't know if any of this helps you at all. If you can figure out the newest regulations, let me know! No one who lives here knows!

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
When were you planning on going?

You may be able to go the long way around if you’re not planning on going right away.

As of this typing, no unnecessary border crossings at this time, only essential. If OP wants to save some $$, once in NY, p/u 86 by Jamestown and run that to Binghamton to 81 N for about 3/4-1 mile to 88 East. Take I 90 E to exit 24 (no tolls), go thru tollbooth and continue on 90 for about 20 more miles til next toll booth (B1). Have to pay tolls from here to MA line, then it's cashless tolling thru MA.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
You don't have to stop and quarantine for 2 weeks as long as you just drive through. I believe stopping for fuel and food is allowed as long as you stay near your route of travel. If you're going to Maine, just go through upstate New York and avoid New Jersey and Connecticut completely.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
When were you planning on going?

You may be able to go the long way around if you’re not planning on going right away.

mkc
Explorer
Explorer
If you are truly going "Down East", as in Maine, understand the Maine and Vermont restrictions/quarantine/Covid-19 test requirements as well.

Maine Travel Resources COVID-19

Vermont COVID-19 Travel Restrictions
2017 LTV Unity

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The order (recommendation) says if you are traveling thru there is no need to quarantine.