cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Noisy Refrigerator

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer has been sitting a few months...

Dometic 6 CF refrigerator - gas and electric

Two years old

I started the refrigerator on this morning on propane. I checked to see that I had a flame in the burner and it sounded normal.

I came back to the trailer about three hours later and the box was ICE COLD inside, but humming or whistling loudly. I could hear the noise louder inside the trailer, more than outside at the louver.

I have not seen a fan and don't think it has one. I think the noise is coming from the cooling coil, and definately not the burner.

No one could sleep with that racket.

The outside coils were HOT, but it was cooling well.

I've been around rv refrigerators since 1960, and never heard a loud noise like this. I was scared to leave it on overnight.

I want to run it on electric tomorrow and see what happens.

Ideas?
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer
16 REPLIES 16

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great advice, I can fix it now.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Gulfcoast wrote:
Refrigerator is in cooling mode again and the whining returns.

I do not see a fan anywhere.

Sounds now like it is in the cooling circuit. When I turn off all power to the unit the noise keeps singing for maybe three minutes, then slowly coasts down to no noise.

Will call the factory in the am.

You are not going to see the fan. You have to pull the refer to get access and see the fan. THERE IS NOTHING IN THE COOLING CIRCUIT THAT WILL MAKE A NOISE LIKE YOU HAVE. Doug

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Refrigerator is in cooling mode again and the whining returns.

I do not see a fan anywhere.

Sounds now like it is in the cooling circuit. When I turn off all power to the unit the noise keeps singing for maybe three minutes, then slowly coasts down to no noise.

Will call the factory in the am.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Gulfcoast wrote:
Once refrigerator got up to the preset temperature, the noise quit. watching....

The rear fan is on a tstat of its own. Once the rear temp cools down the fan(Noise) goes away. Doug

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Once refrigerator got up to the preset temperature, the noise quit. watching....
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Refrigerator on electric, coil is warm in back, cooling very well.

Whining sound louder outside the trailer at the louver, than inside.

Sounds exactly like a small fan with bad bearings whining.

Is there a fan at the top of the refrigerator exhaust duct?

Pulled all fuses and turned off breakers one at a time, the only noise is coming from the refrigerator.

I will get on top of the trailer and remove the exhaust vent cover next.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
PULL

THE

FUSES

One at a time

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I just started it on electric, we will see what happens today.

There's no fan on the back side of the refrigerator and there's no fan inside the trailer running.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Any noise from an RV refer will be the back side cooling fan/s. The only other noise a RV refer will make is a slight Gurgling sound from the Cooling unit, But this is usually only observed from the outside with the access door removed. Doug

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I think in the gas absorption refrigerator, there really isn't any moving parts, so not likely a problem with the refrigerator itself. I bet there is a fan making that noise!

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I will check it out today, a two-year old barely used refrigerator shouldn't make any noise. I will call the company tomorrow.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
My 1987 Norcold made a loud high pitched squeal. I could stop it by tapping on the bottom plate. Perhaps that may be a solution for yours too?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
My hearing is not that good but I think so. I'll have to get the wife out there to tell me exactly the sound.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Is it a high pitched squeal?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.