cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any good/cheap electric razor for camping?

Camavenah
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah yeah, electric razors, woo hoo (end sarcasm)

Anyway, thisautumn me and a buddy are going trout fishing in the middle of nowhere, no running water except for the streams, you could probably get halfway clean with a bar of soap if you wanted to take a dip.

Space is limited, so i figure for the 5 days we're there i could get a cheap electric razor. Of course i would use it at home also when things come up and i have absolutely no way of shaving normally.

So, basically i'm asking if anyone knows of an electric razor that will be used MAYBE once or twice a month.

I was looking at those bell&howell razors the size of a pack of cigarettes, but i'm wary of buying anything off of the TV commercials.

Anyone have any ideas? Under $50 dollars if possible.

MOD'S EDIT: New members aren't allowed to post links. Please don't edit your post again.
19 REPLIES 19

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
I got this one about 6 months ago and I'm pleased with it. I got tired of buying razor blades so decided to give electric a try. The Norelco's and Braun's were all in the $200 range which seemed steep to me if I didn't like it. The Yohoolio was $38 so I figured it was worth a try.
https://www.amazon.com/YOHOOLYO-Electric-Waterproof-Trimmer-Rechargeable/dp/B07ZH94QTG
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

dedmiston
After my last shaver went toes up, I switched to Dollar Shave Club. Every eight weeks they send me a package with eight blades in it for about $15. I think I'm paying more because I'm a sucker and got upsold to the "executive" blades.

The blades are great. The whole thing is cheap. And I never have to think about it.

Some weeks I forget to change my blade, so I had enough of a backlog to toss a 4-pack into the RV so I always have fresh blades there too.

I was an electric guy since my dad gave me my first Norelco when I was fifteen. That first shaver lasted ten years. After that, the quality was never the same and I eventually got tired of buying new shavers.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.amazon.com/Braun-Pocket-Electric-Washable-Transparent/dp/B002PCPZQA

Runs on AA batteries

jeremy_kirby
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda late to the party, yet I have bought Braun PocketGo (it's battery powered) for camping - since we are not travelling that much these days. But I'm really happy with the results.

Cost me about $15.

Another big plus is that it's washable - so you can just flush it out with water. You can shave wet with shaving cream but personally I think dry shaving works best. I replaced batteries with rechargeable AA cells to make it more sustainable.

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking of Braun, I'm assuming y'all all know that you can refill the cartridges yourself, instead of buying a new one every month.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't shaved with a blade in 50 years at least. My recommendation would be anything Braun. Pick your model. They are all good and just the features are different. I have a $35.00 blue one that I keep in my briefcase just in case and a full featured model for every day use that is ten years old and keeps on going.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
s1214 wrote:
Sometimes I work out of my camper and have to be clean shaven and presentable. Many years ago I bought a battery operated Braun that runs on 2 AA batteries and it's still going strong. They no longer make that model but it's similar to this Braun..

I picked up one of those little blue Brauns for $10 in the clearance section at Walgreens several years ago. I've had a few "regular" Brauns over the past 30 years or so (currently a Series 7 or 8--got it at Costco last year) and the little blue one is the best shaving one of all.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what I just bought and it works well.

Aposen Electric Razor for Men, USB Rechargeable Foil Shaver with LED Display, Wet & Dry Electric Shaver IPX7 100% Waterproof Cordless Foil Razor, G5 Black
Sold by: APOSEN TECH
Return eligible through Jul 18, 2020
$26.99

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I have always used the rotary type vs the back and forth models. I think they are easier on ones delicate skin.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Healeyman wrote:
Camavenah wrote:
Anyone have any ideas? Under $50 dollars if possible.

Nearly ANY razor will work if you use it regularly, but during our recent "lockdown" I grew a beard for about 3 months.

When I got to hating it enough, I decided to shave it off.

My nearly-every-day razor is one of the 3 rotary head jobs and would do NOTHING towards getting rid of inch long hairs.

I bought THIS from Amazon. It is the one that is seen on TV for $29.95.

It is WONDERFUL!!! It takes off the growth down to about a 1-2 days length where my 3-head makes short work of it.

It USB charges fast and I have used it 3-4 times and have not recharged it yet.

Let it grow while you are gone and use THIS to take it off when you get back. I HIGHLY recommend it.

Amazon.com also has a bunch of Electric Razors in the $25 range.

Tim
I looked at those just a few days ago. Yep, if a person wants to just take it down to short stubble (5:00 shadow) those Micro Touch Solos look like the way to go.

If you want to shave every day and keep the face smooth, the one I've had and been using for about a dozen years is the Panasonic ES4815P-S twin foil shaver. It runs on 2 AA cells (I recommend a pair of L91 "Energizer Advanced Lithium" because they store well, maintain good voltage, and rarely leak). About $37 on Amazon.
Panasonic It isn't as good as my Braun with series 5 cutter/foil (on a series 8 shaver, lol) and will tend to miss a few hairs around the back of my jaw, but then I don't think any such travel shaver will be as good as a regular one.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes I work out of my camper and have to be clean shaven and presentable. Many years ago I bought a battery operated Braun that runs on 2 AA batteries and it's still going strong. They no longer make that model but it's similar to this Braun..

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
leave it grow,help with the bugs.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I have used a Braun series 7 for a number of years at home and ave been very well pleased. So I bought a Braun series 3 at Walmart for less that was bubble-packed under $50. That was a BIG mistake. Get a good Braun, and it will do you well for many years. But the Series 3 model is junk.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a $10 electric razor for traveling a few years ago. I forget the brand.
It worked great. However, it sounded like a lawnmower with nuts & bolts in the crankcase while running over a pile of tin cans and rocks.
You get what you pay for. It still works.