Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Backing that trailer into a tight campsite..
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Backing that trailer into a tight campsite..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had lots of experience backing 48 - 53 ft trailers but still let my wife out to watch and guide.
Be patient and get it right.

ksbowman

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I am blessed to have had a father who started me early at 8 yo backing a short tongued trailer with a riding lawn mower. More than once I have watched tortured souls trying to back a trailer in and asked if I could help. When I got a yes I would ask if they minded letting me drive. Usually I have backed it in on the first try. If I can drive in forward then, I can back it in. One time the wife's GPS on her phone took us into a residential area and after driving in with a couple 90* turns we came to a dead end. My wife said "What now? " then I backed our 30' fifth wheel all the way out.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me seeing the trailer tires in my mirror is critical. When backing up solo you have to see that gap between your tires and large objects you dont want to scrape into. There are times you will be blind. Its better to stop, put in park, walk out and see whats up. If people are honking because youre in the way just relax and remember being honked at is better than getting in an accident.

Having a spotter is the ultimate. Sometimes the spotter is a person who has never backed up a trailer. They dont know how to help, even though they want to help.

Tell the spotter to move and position their body so that they can look into your side mirrors and see your eyes.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 10:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's harder to backup my little 8' utility trailer than it is my 26' TT.. One thing is I can't really see it in my mirrors too well. And any movement of the wheel doubles what the trailer will do! Backing it in at the land fill/yard waste place is always a test for sure!

Watching the tires is the biggest thing I have found to make it go where you want it to go. Where the tires go, the trailer will go.

Practice helps a lot too.

Good luck! Mitch
[image]

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 11:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everyone has their own method based on spouse or helper willingness/presence/ability, past experience, equipment and situation. There's no right or wrong but I have also spent time stressing about this exact thing (usually more so about my home parking since it's super tight).

Anyway, I go it alone. My wife is just not good at helping and at least half of the time she's not there so it's kind of a moot point. I second the poster that uses the, "move the bottom of the steering wheel the way you want the trailer to go" routine. That works awesome and takes all the guess work out while you're trying to concentrate on other things. While backing, I have no problem getting out and looking 2, 3, 4 times or however many I need to in order to get it done. No matter how long it takes you or how many times you have to start over, trust me, everyone watching has had the same thing happen. It's not a race and there are no awards (just a penalty if you hit something [emoticon]).

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 11:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always try and do the Swoop technique I think they call it when ever possible.

1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/20 11:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

harley4275 wrote:

Alot of times I am alone doing it and scout the area first for low branches, trees ,rocks etc.. then when backing ,I go 2- 3 ft ,get out and look and repeat. Always watch your front end of truck too.

And the passenger side! Wife hit a site marker last year when backing into a really tight spot and I was on the driver's side directing so I didn't see it. Will probably take her dad who does classic car restoration a week or so to fix it after our summer trip.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 03:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

falconbrother wrote:

I think I do everything pretty well with the travel trailer. But, backing into a tight campsite sometimes just stresses me out. In September we went down the the beach and that was the tightest spot I have ever tried to get into. I managed it with the help of a neighbor. This last week we were down at the beach again, fairly tight spot, I ht it pretty much the first time.

I spoke with the guy that hauls trailers back and forth to campsites. He said that there's no perfect. He said he picks a spot on the ground as his pivot point. He comes in at an angle and when that spot is between the trailer axles he "jack-knives" the trailer into the spot where he wants it. Nevertheless, backing 30 feet of trailer can be stressful.

Any tricks or pointers you use?

Always back to the drives side. Once you have gotten out and looked at the passenger side and the rear to be sure it will fit, Nothing is gonna jump out in your way. Keep the driver side tight to any obsicales and park it.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 04:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if your not sure check,
watch the front of the truck,
leave some room for leveling boards
dont kill the missus she thinks standing behind the camper where she cant see your mirrors and talking at living room volume is helping.

Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/20 05:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kellem wrote:

I've had lots of experience backing 48 - 53 ft trailers but still let my wife out to watch and guide.
Be patient and get it right.

Yep, she's in charge. I only have the right to hit the brakes if something doesn't look right (or I can't see her). Have hand signals set up before hand, so you don't need to yell.

Only other thing is to practice.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Backing that trailer into a tight campsite..
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.