Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Parasite control issues help

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
Hi fellow campers and pet owners.
We were just wondering what everyone might be using for their dogs flea, hart worm, and parasite control. We have been using a product provided by our regular veterinarian called''comboguard' it is given once a month. It seems to work very well keeping flees away. The only issue is it will sometimes make her sick and vomit right after we give the dosage. She will sometimes be slightly nauseated after eating for a week or so. The vet says it is not the comboguard. A product called "trifexis" was recommended by a relative as an alternative. Has anyone tried this brand? What is your opinions and what other brands have you had a positive experience with?
Thanks for your help in advance
Ramp
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed
9 REPLIES 9

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your advice. You all have some very good info for me. I will certainly consider your recommendations in my decision. Ramp
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our dog uses trifexis with no problems. There are only a few products that have flea/tic AND parasite control combined. Whatever is used as the base for the med can make a difference on vomiting, nausea etc. Like you, I would look for something different. I wouldn't want to take anything that made me sick all the time so I would look for a solution for the dog too. Trifexis is vegetable based, many others use a beef or chicken base. Can make a difference.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
ComboGuard and trifexis have exactly the same active ingredients and amounts of these drugs.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Based on veterinarian and brother (also a vet) recommendations, we use Advantage Multi. It protects against heartworm, fleas, sarcoptic mange, intestinal parasites and ear mites. In some animals, they feel a little punky after application. We apply it at night, so they can sleep it off.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Bailey used Nexgard

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Nexgard for fleas and ticks.

Heartgard for heart worms.

Our Shih Tzu had a horrible reaction to one spot-on flea product, and he's had a couple of vaccine reactions. The above two products work wonderfully for him.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
Here on Vancouver Island we donโ€™t need heart worm medication unless we are travelling but Bravecto is what is recommended here for fleas and ticks and doesnโ€™t upset the dogs

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
We use Heart Guard+ once a month for heart worms and Bravecto every 3 months for fleas and ticks.(as prescribed by our vet) Available here without Rx at a cheaper price than vet. Yes, it does not come from US.
discountRx
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
seresto flea collar. seems to work with no ill effects. forgot to add HeartGard once a month.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle