cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

San Luis SP boondocking (CO)

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Right now we are sitting in an amazing boondocking site. San Luis State Park is an semi abandoned Colorado State Park. They closed the park but left the gates open and the POWER on. I see about 12 to 15 people camped out here. They have 30/50 amp pedestals, no water and we passed a dump station on the way in. I'm looking out the window at Great Sand Dunes and the surrounding mountains right now.

To find this place proceed to Great Sand Dune NP, about 2.5 miles from the park you'll see a sign pointing off to the left down a road saying San Luis SP. Go down that way several miles and you'll see a sign on the right for the park entrance, the sign is right at the entrance no warning. The road in ia a bit rough but once in the park it is fair paved roads.

There is a covered table and fire ring at each site. The place is windy and high desert. This is a great site for GSDNP visits

Cost = 0 per night. My wife has a couple of bars of ATT.

I'll post a couple of photos later
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
3 REPLIES 3

dalej
Explorer
Explorer
San Luis Lakes used to be a state park and has a large campground with 51 sites. Since it is designated a wildlife area all you need is a $43 annual permit and you can camp up to 14 days.

CPW pass required to stay here - available by mail or at a Forest Office

I bought mine in Fort Garland from a place that sold hunting licenses.

Update: July 1, 2020 valid hunting or fishing license required to access any State Wildlife Area
2005 Chevy HD2500, ext cab, 4x4, 8.1, allison,lwb,srw, 265 75 16's, timbrens

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting park website. https://cpw.state.co.us/swa/San%20Luis%20Lakes%20SWA

HOWEVER, since this park is now a โ€œState Wildlife Area,โ€ you need at least one license. The license fees fund the โ€œfreeโ€ electricity.

โ€œA valid hunting or fishing license is required for everyone 18 or older accessing any State Wildlife Area or CPW-leased State Trust Land, effective July 1, 2020.โ€

Least expensive fishing/hunting/combo license I see is $400 for out of state residents. Zooms up from there. This is why I hunt with a camera.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Any smoke from the east canyon fire?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman