cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Not a Palomino TC??

Dagwood_55
Explorer
Explorer
So, still looking for a TC. Looked at Northstar, also new Northern Lites. Really liked the NL a lot, But at $44K+ for the NL, and a similary loaded Palomino at half the price, convince me why the NL is workth twice as much $$'s. I think they all have the same fixtures and many of the same appliances/parts. And we're not even completely sure we are true TC'ers.... since we've never had one..

Give me the skinny.....
13 REPLIES 13

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP here. I ended up with the Palomin, for better or worse....

Congrats. I hope you enjoy truck camping. It offers a lot of versatility maneuverability and the option of bring along a trailer with those often important toys like boats or motorcycles, even horses.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Dagwood_55 wrote:
OP here. I ended up with the Palomin, for better or worse.... Hopefully not worse. I understand getting what you pay for concept. But there was just too much $$'s difference. And the only thing option wise different was the NL did have solar and 2 batteries.

Thanks all for the info...

Good decision.
I think the boat comparison was spot on.
It becomes a matter of expectations,usage and maintenance.
Don't expect the bargain price item to = the full priced item
They will both get the job done.
For how long and how well is the subjective part.
If you use your tools for a living don't by them all from Harbor freight.
If you only need it once in a blue moon harbor freight may do.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
Congratulations and many happy travels!
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Dagwood_55
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. I ended up with the Palomin, for better or worse.... Hopefully not worse. I understand getting what you pay for concept. But there was just too much $$'s difference. And the only thing option wise different was the NL did have solar and 2 batteries.

Thanks all for the info...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
It’s absolutely the same as the boat comparison, virtually to a tee. Not something you see in vehicles as they’re largely comparable in most all facets.
Now whether one is twice as good because it costs twice as much IS subjective. But generally the price IS indicative of the quality.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don’t agree with the boat brand comparison. There are 30 year old Bayliners that are just as good as they were new, but they weren’t that good new. That has a lot to do with how they are taken care of just like truck campers. Some people destroy everything they buy.

Which model Palomino and which model Northern Lite are you comparing? Do they have exactly the same features and are you comparing with options and without options prices? I don’t believe similar models are twice the price.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

silverbullet555
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have specific info one campers, but I can relate it to boats.

You can buy a bayline for half of what you can buy a cobalt. Similar boat, they both do the same thing, and you can even get very similar engine options if not identical. They are both boats, they both will pull tubes, skiers, wakeboarders, etc.

Brand new, they both look good. But, the Cobalt was 2x as much.Most likely, the Cobalt will give better performance brand new, may be more efficient, etc. It was also feel more solid because of design, insulate some of the sounds better and often have more features. But, they'll be close enough for most people.

Fast forward 5, 10, or 20 years and the quality of construction comes out. The cobalt will still look good compared to the bayliner. The upholstry will be in better shape, the gel coat will look better, the hardware will still be mostly screwed down, the carpet and dash leather will still look nice. All this assumes similar type of care. Covered, etc. High end products often age better, maintain their performance over time and fall apart less.

Boats get beat to hell. So do truck campers.

Is a cobalt worth 2x the price of a bayliner. Maybe, maybe not. It depends on the person. We bought a used 2002 Cobalt in 2007. By and large, for those that don't spend a lot of time on our boat, it looks new. The styling looks great, the gelcoat looks great, the upholstery looks great. It has held up well. You may find a similar experience with a truck camper.

Again, I'm not an expert in truck campers. I just got my first one and stayed on the low end. Palominos were certainly interesting and very enticing. Depending on where you are going to go with it, it could impact which one you get. Also, some may have certain features, both mechanical and convenient that make some better than others. Slide-outs come to mind.

I looked at Northern lite and really like the fiberglass outer. To me, it seems that it would be better sealed and have structural integrity with it. That probably comes from my history with boats. I don't know if that is the case or not.

I really didn't answer your question, but shared some potential thoughts.
1995 Northland Grizzly 860. 2355 lbs of purple goodness! Sold
2005 Lance 845 - Baby Bertha
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Classic CC SB 4WD
Torklift mounts
Torklift superhitch
Hellwig swaybar and 3500lb helper springs
2002 Cobalt 226 "Baby Blue"

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
why is a Northern Lite, Lance, Big Foot, Etc worth twice the price of a palomino??

There are differences in build quality, in the materials used, and in the design principles.
NL and Bigfoot are fiberglass shell campers - they are made to last longer. They may not be worth the price difference to you. Palomino campers have always been at the low end of the scale.
TC longevity and quality is a complex topic. A cheap camper, built on a good day, treated well, stored dry, and frequently maintained, may well outlive a misused high-end camper built on a Friday afternoon.
For your first TC, there is nothing wrong with buying a relatively inexpensive used unit. Go camping in it for a while, then you will know what you like about it and what needs to be different for you.
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Dagwood_55
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replys.

Not so much interested in this post on if a TC suits me or not, even tho thats a conceern, just not now.. And I have a F350 for hauling a med sized non slide covered.

But the main question is why is a Northern Lite, Lance, Big Foot, Etc worth twice the price of a palomino??

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
TCs are probably not worth what you pay for them if you consider the living space size. However, they have a lot of advantages compared to other RVs for the right person. Similarly, popups vs hardside is a also a advantage/disadvantage comparison.

Nobody can tell you what’s best for everyone, but if you describe more about how you envision using it, we might be able to help. They make a lot of different types because they “suit” someone.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are not sure you are a truck camper person try renting one for a few nights. There is nothing wrong with the Palomino at the price they are sold. It is not a high end expensive or luxurious camper but it also is not priced like one. I have had three truck campers since 1985 some very well make like the Alaskan pop up that is high end sailboat quality inside as well as a 3000 pound plus 11 foot hard side. It all depends on what you want and what you want to spend as all three were well used by our family and none really gave any troubles. Some cost substantially more than others. All did the job just fine. Should you purchase a truck camper and decide you don't care for it, just remember the depreciation on a new RV is considerable.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
My dream was to travel cross county with a truck camper. I had a 2500 LB, CC truck, so was able to fulfill that dream! Bought a new Palomino Truck Camper and loved it. It had some really nice features to it. But, I had to use the bed area for storage as it was my full-time home and being 75 and climbing up and down to get "things" was a tad hairy. I did take it cross country and traded in OR and got a 23' travel trailer and towed that back to FL. Loved the Palomino and thought for the money, it was well made and it made the trip well, including in high winds.

I found that matching the camper weight to available bed weight was a great decision and I put airbags on the truck. Drove beautifully, even over Wolf Creek Pass at 10,000' plus.

The Palomino was an awesome camper for the money. I just needed more room. I left the U-shaped dinette made into a bed and either stood up or balanced a plate on my lap. Not easy.

I would do it all over again.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might want to rent the smallest of class C's or a B available before you sink all that dough into a new truck camper.