cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Directv access card

John_Wayne
Explorer
Explorer
Just got an e-mail from Directv that I'm going to need to get a new free access card by Aug 31,2020. Anyone know what this is all about??
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH
28 REPLIES 28

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Bill

I agree with you on this, I did mistype HD for the dome when I should have typed SD. I did edit that.

I do know to get HD is to change up on my equipment (update) and bend with the wind and not push against it.

Thanks for the information.

JimR

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
A dome cannot "currently" receive ANY DTV HD programming. Neither can an 18" round dish. Even connected to an HD receiver. You also cannot use the Genie with the 18" round or dome unless you add a SWM8 kit and update the power inserter to a PI29.
On the assumption that DTV is finally going to end all SD broadcasts, the dome and 18" will still only be able to receive programming from 1 satellite (dome 101 only, 18" round 101, 110, 119 but there's currently nothing on 110). So that means it's likely that only 1/3 or less of DTV's programming will be available to folks using that kind of antenna. However, it WILL be in HD! The change "should" take out any possibility of receiving ANY of the major Networks but many of the cable channels should be available. At this point, no one knows which channels will survive on 101.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Bill

What surprise? Right now anything is possible.

I do have a DTV HD receiver and a Genie but I use the SD D12 only because of the Sat Antenna required for the HD. In other words the little 18 inch dish is easy to set up and where I am at now I am aiming through the trees to hit sat 101. Also I have a King Dome that locks in very well on the SD programing.

I do know soon that I will need to change but right now will wait and see.

Thanks

JimR

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep us informed. I believe you are in for a big surprise should DTV (AT&T) move to all HD as they have claimed they will be doing "soon".
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
JimR 1 wrote:
JimR 1 wrote:
Update on Monday called DTV asked "Where is my access card you sent" well they sent it to the service address but I am not there as was discussed on the first call. They are resending a new one, will let you know.

Funny or not why they, DTV, will do something after being giving info on where to send things and DTV agreeing that they were not sending to the service address but to to me.

I just do not get it. Terrible service.

JimR

Update Called today and they are sending me a new one this will be number three. Will see

JimR

Update again: Just received this email from AT&T if you have read my posts and updates you will read where AT&T has send my card out, or did they.

Very confused following is the email received.

"On June 15, 2020, we mistakenly sent you an email regarding the replacement of expiring Access Card(s) for your DIRECTVยฎ equipment.

While you will still need to replace the Access Card(s), we are unfortunately not ready to ship the replacement card(s) yet. However, you will not lose any programming during this time.

Please watch for a follow-up email later this summer when we are ready to ship you the replacement card(s). The new cards will be sent via Fedex, and there is no cost to you.

In the meantime, there is nothing you need to do.

If you have any questions or concerns, please call us at 866.445.1144. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

I do think that AT&T does not have it together on this one.

JimR

Community Alumni
Not applicable
JimR 1 wrote:
Update on Monday called DTV asked "Where is my access card you sent" well they sent it to the service address but I am not there as was discussed on the first call. They are resending a new one, will let you know.

Funny or not why they, DTV, will do something after being giving info on where to send things and DTV agreeing that they were not sending to the service address but to to me.

JimR

Update Called today and they are sending me a new one this will be number three. Will see

JimR

Community Alumni
Not applicable

JimR

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
JimR 1 wrote:

They (2 DTV representatives) continue to say that the card will convert the receiver to HD when I asked the question will the card covert to HD with the old receiver and they said yes. Go Figure.

Considering some of the many conversations I've had with the representatives I wouldn't doubt anything you say they tell you. I can't understand much of what they say and don't put much stock in the validity of what I do understand.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Will do Bill

JimR

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good Luck. Let us know what happens.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Bill

Yes I understand and do believe you.

They (2 DTV representatives) continue to say that the card will convert the receiver to HD when I asked the question will the card covert to HD with the old receiver and they said yes. Go Figure.

Seems like this is the year for changes and letting go of the past normals and stepping out into the unknown.

As far as them sending it wherever there is a time out on the card and failure to act will cost $20.00 for a new card. So hope they send it to me and not the service address.

JimR

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
NO! A "card" will not make your SD only receiver receive HD programming. You will be required to have a receive model that starts with an H or HR (DVR).
They will send it where ever they please. You have to figure the rest out. No matter the card, if they drop SD as they say they plan to do, you will lose ALL DTV programming with your D12 receiver.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Well I ordered the card so will see.

They are wanting to send to the service address but I am not there while in the RV so they are trying to figure that out.

???

JimR

Community Alumni
Not applicable
So Bill let me get this sorted out in my head.

You are saying that after Aug 31, 2020 I will not be able to get DTV at all even if the new card is installed?

DTV said it would convert the SD to HD ?? Not sure I believe that but??

I also need to correct that I have a D-11 a silver colored recever that came with the RV not a D-12

Thank You for the reply Bill
JimR