cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding 2nd AC to Class C

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
We camped for the 1st time this year at a local state park...got the only spot left...in the sun, no shade. Last year, we were camped at Space Camp in Huntsville AL. Both times, our single 15k BTU AC could barely keep the unit under 80 in direct sun. We have 2 small dogs we travel with...and thought adding a 2nd AC unit could help.

Here's the thing: i've watched videos and overall, it's doable. The question/issue I have is wiring. Already checked, I have no "prewired" wiring. We DO have a standard vent opening just above our bed (rear of coach) and is perfect for a 2nd unit. I'm not against running wiring along the ceiling/wall via some stick on beauty conduit. I recently used that to add another 110v outlet.

Our unit is 30A. No extra breakers. I'm stumped on the wiring...where to add it...how...and if I need 50A, what does that mean in terms of new breaker box, components, etc.........
6 REPLIES 6

youracman
Explorer
Explorer
mleekamp wrote:
jdc1, I was thinking the same thing. We don't need it all the time...but are planning trips out west where it's HOT...and our 34 foot C will be HOT with that front-mounted AC unit....but installing a rear-section unit (as mentioned, in bedroom), and pluggin it in when needed, simplifies matters a ton.

Hi Robert-

I have not done this mod, but there were a couple of long threads over on irv2 concerning it. I can't seem to find them now, but IIRC, both guys ended up using a second, dedicated cord for the 2nd AC as suggested earlier. I too would have to go with external ceiling wiring but the metal raceway channel with a snap cover (sold by HD and others) could be screwed to the ceiling and would not look all that obtrusive, IMHO. Both the installs posted on irv2 used "local control" AC's ; i.e. no wall t'stat to complicate things and of course the AC's fit in the 14X14 hole just fine.

You would almost certainly need to use a 50A pedestal; as I understand it, even if a 30A site has a 20A outlet, you are limited to 30A total. I also read a post or two where it was stated that new campground regulations allow only one cord to be connected from an RV to the pedestal, period ….. not good news, for sure. If that's true, one would have to turn their Class C into a 50A coach, basically, in order to add the needed 20A which could be done, but a lot of work and expense.

Here is a link (Google) with a well-documented install where the guy plans to use a 2nd cord for the add'l AC. The most interesting thing I found was the nifty waterproof wall connector to bring the extra/new power into the coach.https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=V9_nXsy3H5DXtAarlafIAQ&q=add+2nd+ac+to+rv&oq=add+2nd+ac+t...

Good luck on the project, and safe travels
Ed Sievers, Denver, CO
07 WGO Outlook 31-C; '16 Kia Soul with 6spd DIY Tranny
"Be the person you needed when you were younger"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Several options:

1. convert to 50 amp service
2. add a dedicated 20 amp cord to power the 2nd AC
3. use a Load support hybrid inverter charger to take care of the start up surge for the air conditioner units.
4. use a swamp cooler in conjunction with the air conditioner
5. add misting system to keep the roof of the RV cooler
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1, I was thinking the same thing. We don't need it all the time...but are planning trips out west where it's HOT...and our 34 foot C will be HOT with that front-mounted AC unit....but installing a rear-section unit (as mentioned, in bedroom), and pluggin it in when needed, simplifies matters a ton.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
The electrical problem that I have encountered is when it's hot enough to have to use 2 a/c units the entire CG is using so much power the CG's system as well as the states grid system has to be able to keep up with the demand.

In my 24' Sunseeker I only use 1 15k a/c unit and never had a problem at 98 humid degrees. Its plenty cool enough for 2 people and a large dog.
I have used my Hughes Autoformer a few times to boost the electrical at my CG pedestal.

I protect the Autoformer with the addition of the $100 surge protector then run the $350 surge protector between the Hughes and the rv.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/RV-Surge-Protection-s/142.htm

this link is just for general info on the topic, look into an emergency management system ( EMS ) in your rv .

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29318341/print/true.cfm

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
And, in line with jdc's comment, consider a portable unit. cut plywood to fit a window opening for venting the 2 hoses. And then you can pack it away when its not needed.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why not wire it to a cord, where you can plug it in just like your 30A? Most RV pedestals have separate 50/30/20 amp breakers. You would use the 30 and 20. The cord can be stored with the 30amp cord too!