cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brake working?

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Blue Ox Patriate 2 brake for the Ford Focus we are towing. Recently had some problems and nothing on the in cab monitor screen. I think we have the problem resolved but my question is how do you know if your auxillary brake is working? Probably the monitor will tell you but discovered our monitor wasn't working. And some systems don't even have an in cab monitor. The toad has to be moving because its inertia based so you can't sit still and watch the pedal. And you can't really feel the brake work either. Ours has worked and not worked and I can't tell the difference.
Jayco-noslide
2 REPLIES 2

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
You can see if the brakes are operating by feeling them after towing and making few harder stops to feel how warm or hot or cool they are. They should be al least warm to touch.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
ON most modern cars the brake lights work no matter the position of the ignition switch... Now.. there are several tail light hookup methods used on cars and all of them have one thing in common

The "Switched" side of the brake light switch is not powered via the RV.

On my current towed (Add a lamp system) the Towing lamp and the driving lamp. different

On my old they used same lamp but. Diode isolated.

So you find the two wires on the brake light switch. one is hot one is not (unless you are pressing the pedal) you hook a lead to this and put an indicator either on the front of the car or on the dash (Switched if on dash)

Now there is one system (M&G air/hydraulic) this wont' work with but most all the others incuding the one you have either PULL or PUSH the brake pedal. thus activating the light.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times