cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 amp shore power issue

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Fuzion, when plugged into 50 amp shore power I am not getting power to most appliances (but bedroom AC will run). When using 50/30 adapter I can power the AC and all appliances normally. When running on generator power all works normally. Any idea why I am only getting partial power on 50 amp shore power?
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021
17 REPLIES 17

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad to know it is fixed and your RV is just fine ๐Ÿ˜‰

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Against all odds, it appears that I must have had faulty power at the pedestal on 2 consecutive outings at different campgrounds. The pedestal has been repaired and all is well now. Thank you everyone. Iโ€™m glad I didnโ€™t bet on this one, Iโ€™d have lost.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Any difference when you run your gen?

see post #1
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

dedmiston
Any difference when you run your gen?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
Another possibility would be a loose wire in the power transfer switch. With the RV disconnected from power, open the power transfer box and inspect and tighten every wire connection.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
System would not work with adapter fit is your rig. Although one slight possibility that there is a loose wire in shore power cord at pedestal end and by using the adapter it makes contact (doubtful)

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
I realize that. Like I said, Iโ€™ll have to pick up a volt meter.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
stro1965 wrote:
I really doubt itโ€™s the pedestal, this happened last time out and I assumed that time it was the pedestal. Iโ€™m thinking one leg isnโ€™t working but Iโ€™m about as far from an electrician as is possible.

It does not matter what you doubt, To diagnose electricity you must start at the source. That is the PED. It is the base line, Sit down with a volt meter and You tube. We can not measure your voltage over the internet.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
stro1965 wrote:
I really doubt itโ€™s the pedestal, this happened last time out and I assumed that time it was the pedestal. Iโ€™m thinking one leg isnโ€™t working but Iโ€™m about as far from an electrician as is possible.

sit down with a volt meter and You tube. We can not measure your voltage over the internet.

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Sure sounds like one leg of the 50 amp is not there or your plug or somewhere back from there is open. Such as a breaker on your own AC panel.

Cavie has it nailed. You need a voltmeter. Everyone that owns an RV should learn how to use a voltmeter with confidence. They really are quite simple, but very confusing with all those weird symbols.

I told my brother to take pictures of his as I was teaching him. He did not nor did he mark his voltmeter to remember what position to put it on. I will be putting on a class again for him and he will take pictures.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Working with adapter would show to me that the source is bad. Try resetting the circuit breaker at the source panel.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow