Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: long term non-use/storage
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> long term non-use/storage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like you have it mothballed pretty good. If nothing else start it up every month or so. I am not a fan of letting the engine getting up to running temp. Hot oil falls right back down into the oil pan faster than cooler oil. If you can't drive it at least put it in & out of gear to get the tranny oil sloshing around.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

steveh27 wrote:

UPDATE:
I got the starter battery replaced and started it. The engine just purrs. I let it idle for 15-20 minutes.

That’s great to hear!
I read your health situation. Hope that goes well and you’re back on your feet soon!
Don’t mind some of the folks here. Pretty self righteous, some of them.

I’d add, if you can drive it yet this year, run the old gas out of it. Shouldn’t take too many little trips to burn up the gas. BTW you could insure it for a month or so if that’s concerning to you.
I wouldn’t let the old gas sit another year. If can’t run the gas out, I’d figure out how to siphon or pump it out. And use it in non critical equipment or give it to a neighbor or something.
I would NOT fill the tank. Yes it’s recccomended by many, but unless you use it before it goes bad (lots to consider with this definition of bad and how it’s used), a full tank of bad gas is can be more problem than it’s worth.
I let every seasonal vehicle/toy sit very low on good treated fuel. No condensation issues. And if there was, a full tank of gas with ethanol and maybe a bottle of Heet, worst case will eat up the water.
If you must or plan to let it sit more than a year, IMO, run it as empty as possible. Add 5 gal or so of. AV gas. Run a little av gas thru the fuel system and park it. AV gas will store ok for up to 2 years. Then dilute/fill with regular gas when ready to run it again.

Take care

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/20 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, in 30 years of professional and shade tree engine mechanics, it “seems” Ethanol gas is good for a few months un treated, maybe a year treated. Non E gas 6 mo plus untreated year plus treated.
AV or race gas 2 years, no treatment.
EFI engines will handle questionable fuel better (not from a performance or detonation standpoint ) because it’s harder to gun up a sealed higher pressure system.
For carb engines they’re more susceptible.
Having a bunch of seasonal use engines around the household. I’ve started running AV gas in the small 2 cycle stuff and things that may sit indefinitely like the backup generator. No need to treat/winterize then. I can turn the chain saw off in February and fire it back up a year later, 2 pulls, no gummed up carb. For example.
The that with untreated 87 pump gas and There’s a great chance that you’ll be pulling the carb apart.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> long term non-use/storage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.