cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pumping from the lake.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a camp set up, and I wish to pump water from the lake to a holding tank to be used for things like dishwashing. The elevation is about 20 feet, but about 50 feet of a hose run.

Would a submersible pump like this work:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-1-3-hp-submersible-utility-pump-0623409p.html#srp

Or, would I need something like this:
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-convertible-jet-pump-1-2-hp-0623590p.html#srp

I don't care how long it takes to pump it up, but I would like to do this as inexpensive as possible.
21 REPLIES 21

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
https://powerequipment.honda.com/pumps/models/wx10

$330US at Lowe's

The 5gal bucket w rocks and strainer tied on is an easy way to keep the strainer off the mud no matter which pump you choose.

There are other similar pumps for a few $$ less than Honda.

Why would I go gas when I already am running a generator that can easily take the load. The tank would last all season.

Did you check the reviews on the pumps you listed in the OP?

Versatility and not mixing electricity w water are 2 other reasons.

It's an option; perhaps someone other the OP might find more suited their application if they happen to stumble upon this thread in the future.

I am the OP.

I am not pumping different things. I am pumping water from a lake.

I have no issue with electricity being use to pump water. It would be used once a year.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
swimmer_spe wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:

$330US at Lowe's

The 5gal bucket w rocks and strainer tied on is an easy way to keep the strainer off the mud no matter which pump you choose.

Why would I go gas when I already am running a generator that can easily take the load. The tank would last all season.

Did you check the reviews on the pumps you listed in the OP?

Versatility and not mixing electricity w water are 2 other reasons.

It's an option; perhaps someone other the OP might find more suited their application if they happen to stumble upon this thread in the future.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Donโ€™t over-think it, get a $uo sump pump from CDN Tire / Home Hardware Princess Auto. Put a rock or concrete block on the bottom with a rope tied to it, empty bleach or laundry detergent bottle as a float, pump hanging just below the float. Garden hose for the output.

Easy peasy, citronella squeezey. (Citronella to keep the skeeters away.)

That's the plan..... Just don't want to buy it all and find out it won't work.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Donโ€™t over-think it, get a $uo sump pump from CDN Tire / Home Hardware Princess Auto. Put a rock or concrete block on the bottom with a rope tied to it, empty bleach or laundry detergent bottle as a float, pump hanging just below the float. Garden hose for the output.

Easy peasy, citronella squeezey. (Citronella to keep the skeeters away.)

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:

$330US at Lowe's

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II

$330US at Lowe's

2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
IB853347201 wrote:
would definitely use a jet pump that way you could have water on demand and forego the use of your tank. Lake water is not chlorinated so it will go skunky in your tank within a few days in the heat of summer.

OP Here

I do plan to pour some bleach in the tank when I fill it and it will be drained each winter.

As far as the idea of keeping it off the bottom, I know I need to. The bottom is muddy and I'd rather not suck the mud in.

Power will be supplied by a generator.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
BarabooBob wrote:
I hope that you know that lake water is not really "clean." I would never use lake water to wash dishes unless it is sanitized somehow. Either boil, run it through a microb filter, or use bleach.

Standard practice for scouts, missionaries in many developing countries, etc. where the water supply is of questionable or poor quality is to wash dishes in whatever water is available but rinse in boiling hot water. Tongs and mesh bags help a lot with the rinsing assuming you aren't keen on scalded fingers.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Where I live the lake fish are all on birth control due to the ladies at the beach relieving themselves in the water. There is a number of pollutants in that water, and people often get sick after swimming, ear infections are common. Some of the residue will not disappear on dried dishes, it will just be dry and you will eat it. gross.
There are filters that will clean it, but they are slow-drip and will be expensive for washing dishes.
20 feet elevation gain will be slow but doable with the right pump. The distance is not going to matter as much.

If this is for a semi-permanent location, or your own property then you can make a filter with a 55 gallon drum, sand, rocks and other things. Do an internet search and it will be easy to find. This could provide water at a fast enough rate. I would spare your RV tank and get an external holding tank if possible, but thats up to u.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hope that you know that lake water is not really "clean." I would never use lake water to wash dishes unless it is sanitized somehow. Either boil, run it through a microb filter, or use bleach. Try sitting a 5 gallon bucket of lake water in a nice shady spot for a couple of days and then smell it, you may change your mind. Remember that a lake is is the outhouse for fish, animals, birds, and humans.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
Similar pumps are often used on fishing docks to provide running water to fish cleaning stations by suspending them in the water. The 1/3 hp pump says it has a maximimum head of 33.5 ft, so i would think it would work since you are lifting the water only 20 ft
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Lake water is the least desirable fresh water and I wouldnโ€™t introduce it into my fresh water system without careful filtering and sanitization.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
A simple low-power submersible pump will work fine, just keep it off the bottom. Maybe a filter at some point between the lake and the holding tank.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, your first link (submersible) from CdnTire would work fine.