cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First 5th wheel advise

M_R_E_
Explorer
Explorer
My son-in-law is looking for a good first 5th wheel under 32'. He will be pulling it with a Ram 2500 CTD.I am not sure what to recommend in that size for two people. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
toolmaker
18 REPLIES 18

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Floorplan would be #1 priority for me. I would avoid a plan that has kitchen on the door side. You usually can't see your camp site, the only view being your next door neighbors camp site. I would try to avoid having a fridge in a slide. They sometimes dont ventilate/draft well.
Most of the mass produced units are basically built the same. I would lean towards Grand Design.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Toolshed
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Toolshed wrote:
laknox wrote:
TXiceman wrote:
First and foremost, avoid anything built by Thor or Forest River. Look for used Carriage Cameo, HitchHikers, Excel, Arctic Fox. These are generally heavier than the currently built trailers, but are better quality.

Ken

I'd add a pre-'17 KZ Durango 1500 or Durango 2500 to the list. 2017 was when Thor bought them out.

Lyle

Iโ€™m curious as to why to avoid Forest River?

They have a poor history of quality control and customer service.

Ken

Thank you, all.
Kathi and Victor (the taller half) :B
James (the young one) :C

2003 JayFlight 21FB
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel 4x4
2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4

"Rallies Attended: 8!"

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
If you have enough tow vehicle, do not discount a Teton Homes 5 th wheel. Teton closed itโ€™s doors in 2007/2008 along with several other high quality, high dollar RV manufacturers! They offered several models in a lighter weight units, though most Tetons were pretty heavy ....ours goes right at 20K, loaded and ready to go! There are still a few out there, offered for sale, at a fraction of what they sold for when new! Obviously, as with any used unit, be very cautious and observant when checking for roof, sidewall, or slide leakage causing sidewall ( they used wood frames) or flooring damage. Weโ€™re on our 4th Teton since 1993, and while there are a few (darn few) high quality construction, 4-season units around.....the Tetons are among the โ€œbest of the bestโ€! memtb
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Look for used Carriage Cameo, HitchHikers, Excel, Arctic Fox. These are generally heavier than the currently built trailers, but are better quality.

X3. We're on our third Carriage. Several weeks ago, on our return trip from Texas, a guy blew a stop sign and hit us. The end result was that both our truck and trailer were totaled. Our Carriage was totaled because of the exterior damage from his vehicle hitting it and when we jackknifed. The interior was a bit messed up from the contents being strewn about, but we incurred very little damage to them. When we started looking for aa replacement Carriage was at the top of our list. Even though the original brand hasn't been manufactured since 2011 the quality is very good. Hope this helps.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
You might also want to look at older high quality 5ers that don't have any Lippert in them. I will keep my 2008 forever because of that. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Toolshed wrote:
laknox wrote:
TXiceman wrote:
First and foremost, avoid anything built by Thor or Forest River. Look for used Carriage Cameo, HitchHikers, Excel, Arctic Fox. These are generally heavier than the currently built trailers, but are better quality.

Ken

I'd add a pre-'17 KZ Durango 1500 or Durango 2500 to the list. 2017 was when Thor bought them out.

Lyle

They have a poor history of quality control and customer service.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Toolshed
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
TXiceman wrote:

Ken

Lyle

Kathi and Victor (the taller half) :B
James (the young one) :C

2003 JayFlight 21FB
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel 4x4
2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4

"Rallies Attended: 8!"

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
M.R.E. wrote:
My son-in-law is looking for a good first 5th wheel under 32'. He will be pulling it with a Ram 2500 CTD.I am not sure what to recommend in that size for two people. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I would stay with around 12k for max rv weight, GVWR, with a 3/4 ton.
Look for one that has a floor plan that allows you to access the fridge, and bathroom with the slides closed, for quick lunch breaks while traveling.
I have owned, Forest River Cedar Creek, Keystone, Jayco, Vanleigh, and have not had any major problems from any of them.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We ended up with our Montana HC because it had the gen prep, but when looking, I really liked the smaller Grand Design Reflection 150 series. There's just two of us and some fur kids and we use it just for vacations.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
TXiceman wrote:

Ken

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
stickdog wrote:
Whatever the wife likes that's within the budget.

Ditto.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Depends a lot on the specifics of the truck what he can pull.

Payload is usually the controlling limit for 3/4 ton trucks. Probably looking at 12-14k GVWR trailers depending on the truck payload limit.

Payload is not a controlling limit on a 3/4 ton truck with a fiver, rear axle weight is. Payload is artificially low to keep it under a 10k GVWR for registration purposes.

Going on a limb here, but think that's what he meant.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Depends a lot on the specifics of the truck what he can pull.

Payload is usually the controlling limit for 3/4 ton trucks. Probably looking at 12-14k GVWR trailers depending on the truck payload limit.

Payload is not a controlling limit on a 3/4 ton truck with a fiver, rear axle weight is. Payload is artificially low to keep it under a 10k GVWR for registration purposes.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley