Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: F250 3.73 to 4.30 axle ratio
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > F250 3.73 to 4.30 axle ratio

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2003

View Profile



Posted: 06/11/20 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:


Yes it will help, but will it help $3000 worth? .


3000ish or more is just the strt, lower fuel milage for the rest of the trucks life on empty or towing. accellerated enging wear from higher RPM.

Best way to do it is big torque low rpm in my opinion, if you could aford it adding a turbo set up would be the most efficent way to go but has issues in its own. or if its time to buy a new truck soon anyways put up with it and get a diesel. (sorry didnt see that it is a 2017, so i guess thats not an option unless your leasing and its time for a trade in. some times dealerships will give you a good buy back on a relitively new truck, might be somthing to check into. the 6.2L is not realy a tow monster motor to start with.

Steve


2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

pyoung47

MO

Senior Member

Joined: 02/16/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 06/11/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The is often tricky to get shimmed and adjusted correctly. With reliability and expense in mind, I think that I would just put up with the 3.73 until time for a new truck. I can't imagine anyone as the next owner would want a 4.3 either. A friend of mine tows a rather large designer with the same set up as yours with few issues. It's no diesel, but it works.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/11/20 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

Grit dog wrote:


Yes it will help, but will it help $3000 worth? .


3000ish or more is just the strt, lower fuel milage for the rest of the trucks life on empty or towing. accellerated enging wear from higher RPM.

Best way to do it is big torque low rpm in my opinion, if you could aford it adding a turbo set up would be the most efficent way to go but has issues in its own. or if its time to buy a new truck soon anyways put up with it and get a diesel. (sorry didnt see that it is a 2017, so i guess thats not an option unless your leasing and its time for a trade in. some times dealerships will give you a good buy back on a relitively new truck, might be somthing to check into. the 6.2L is not realy a tow monster motor to start with.

Steve


Obviously you have never done this swap and know what it can do! It will not get worse mileage towing, in fact it will go up approx .5 mpg towing. In town non towing driving it will go down, but marginally. But non towing city/hwy will go up. Solo hey you may lose .5 mpg. It’s not going to wear out the engine any faster. If it does the only difference is hours or converted maybe a couple thousand miles during the engines life. So if the engine were to last 200k miles with 3.73’s it may only last 198k with 4.30’s.

Love how people comment on things they know nothing about!


Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!


noteven

Turtle Island

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2011

View Profile



Posted: 06/11/20 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The majority of engine wear occurs from cold start to approx 140F coolant temperature.

Today’s trucks are overdriven to such a low cruise rpm they need 220+ amp alternators to keep the gadgets powered at 1200 engine rpm [emoticon]

As for the 6.2 Ford it pulls pretty decent for a gasohol engine.

I don’t think the current generation of diesel pickups enjoy the emission system pains previous generations did.

A 4:30 ratio truck will still out truck a 3.73 all else being equal.

ppine

Northern Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/12/20 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Five thousand dollars for a gear swap is just about exactly what it costs to buy a diesel instead of a gas engine.

goducks10

There

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/12/20 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

Five thousand dollars for a gear swap is just about exactly what it costs to buy a diesel instead of a gas engine.


Add $4000-5000 to that.
The diesel option for a ford is $10,495.
Ram its $9300

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2003

View Profile



Posted: 06/12/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

Grit dog wrote:


Yes it will help, but will it help $3000 worth? .


3000ish or more is just the strt, lower fuel milage for the rest of the trucks life on empty or towing. accellerated enging wear from higher RPM.

Best way to do it is big torque low rpm in my opinion, if you could aford it adding a turbo set up would be the most efficent way to go but has issues in its own. or if its time to buy a new truck soon anyways put up with it and get a diesel. (sorry didnt see that it is a 2017, so i guess thats not an option unless your leasing and its time for a trade in. some times dealerships will give you a good buy back on a relitively new truck, might be somthing to check into. the 6.2L is not realy a tow monster motor to start with.

Steve


Obviously you have never done this swap and know what it can do! It will not get worse mileage towing, in fact it will go up approx .5 mpg towing. In town non towing driving it will go down, but marginally. But non towing city/hwy will go up. Solo hey you may lose .5 mpg. It’s not going to wear out the engine any faster. If it does the only difference is hours or converted maybe a couple thousand miles during the engines life. So if the engine were to last 200k miles with 3.73’s it may only last 198k with 4.30’s.

Love how people comment on things they know nothing about!



Actualy I have severl times over the years. if you drive normal with fule economy in mind when towing and drive a bit slower on the highway taller gears will give you a tiny bit more milage but how many people can make that change and stick to it... the place they will save money is starting from a stop, it will be eaiser to get it running and on bigger hills on highways where you would have had to shift down before, but overall on flat lands every time I did a gear swap I lost overall milage.

as for shorter enging life it can be minor or significant depending how you use it and how well you maintain it. but generaly if the same person takes care of the vehicle the same befoor and after you will lose a bit of life, its just a factor of more reveloutions over the same distance. newer motors are better and like you said could only be a couple k miles, but if your not one to keep up on maintance and you do a lot of highway driving it could be a very significat differance.

Steve

noteven

Turtle Island

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2011

View Profile



Posted: 06/12/20 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$5000 allows you drive by and wave privileges at the diesel service shop. Actual repairs are more [emoticon]

ppine

Northern Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/13/20 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

ppine wrote:

Five thousand dollars for a gear swap is just about exactly what it costs to buy a diesel instead of a gas engine.


Add $4000-5000 to that.
The diesel option for a ford is $10,495.
Ram its $9300


Still worth the money. My diesel is still going strong from 2002 so I am out of date. The extra cost to buy a diesel is quickly paid back in performance and longevity. How much is a gas truck with 200 k miles worth?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/14/20 12:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is getting blown out of hand.
I said $3k, knowing this is the upper end for HD 4wd gear swap from quality shop and best quality gears.
Then someone equates it to $5k and says equivalent diesel only costs that much....
Do you guys even think before you type, or just perpetually Overly pessimistic Or just plain wrong?

No, I personally wouldn’t consider a gear change, especially on a new truck. Unless a very specific situation with no other options. Like you gotta have 37s on a 3.42 Ram towing heavy. It’s one thing on an old truck. But on a new truck, it’s just too easy to sell it and get what you want or need.


"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > F250 3.73 to 4.30 axle ratio
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.