Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Best brand for resale?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Best brand for resale?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
T. Anderson

Eastern N.C.

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/20 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again, y'all. Whatever unit (B or C) we end up going with, it will be for doing a lot of driving and stopping to see the sights along the way. Maybe even spending 1 or 2 nights a week now and then in a hotel. Me, the wife, and daughter (grown).

ernie1

Sacramento,California,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/20 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I strongly suggest you check out the Lazydaze class c. Check all the features out especially the exterior aluminum panels. They have a very good resale value and a large following. I've looked at them extensively but never owned one due to timing considerations. There is a long wait time like the better part of a year from the time you order one til it's built and you receive it. With that said, a newer used unit will hold it's value well.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/20 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

T. Anderson wrote:

Thanks again, y'all. Whatever unit (B or C) we end up going with, it will be for doing a lot of driving and stopping to see the sights along the way. Maybe even spending 1 or 2 nights a week now and then in a hotel. Me, the wife, and daughter (grown).
Ah, the way I see it working best is......

Mom, Dad, and adult daughter =
1) full time main floor bed for Mom and Dad
2) over-head cab bunk of a conventional C for the daughter.

This way the living area stays "living". Mom and Dad have their private space with a curtain or door, and the daughter does as well with a curtain. Whoever wakes up first can let the others sleep later. The same goes for early-to-bed.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/28/20 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 adult size people, spending alot of time in the RV, I think a medium sized C is about the smallest I'd consider. Not that unwieldy for a 26-28' vehicle. Think of it this way, it's about 6' longer than a long bed crew cab pickup!

Best resale, IMO is the one you get the best deal on first, lowest miles (so the miles are still lower when you sell) and old enough that the annual depreciation is not a factor (IE over 5 years old).

Budget wise, you're wide open at $60k max, but don't need to spend near that much for very full featured newer rig. $60k is approaching brand new, which is the WORST for resale.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/20 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

T. Anderson wrote:

I'm considering buying a used Class C with the intention of keeping it for 1-2 years, traveling all over the USA, and then selling it.
Is there a particular brand that would hold its value better than others over a 2-3 year period? Maybe even a specific model.
My budget will be $60K or less.

A lot of posters are saying "condition" is most important. I would say that condition is only the second most important thing.

In my opinion, I would say that construction quality when built is the most important thing. After you've determined what year(s) of what manufacturer was(were) best put together ... then look for one of those in the best condition that you can find that you can afford.

Highest build quality things to look for should include such things as:

1. The longest running, least expensive to get parts for, and most places to get repaired ... chassis under the Class C.
2. As much hardwood in the coach cabinets as you can find, with each one having solid latches that won't come open going down the road.
3. Steel drawer runners.
4. Excellent workmanship of hidden wiring and plumbing.
5. Method used for mounting of coach cabinets to the walls.
6. Internal construction of the walls and roof.
7. One piece (aluminum or fiberglass) and of a crowned shape ... roof.
8. Metal (aluminum or steel) cab entry running boards.
9. Metal lined and carpeted exterior cabinets.
10. Metal lined tire wheel wells.
11. Full size spare tire included.
12. Method used for all coach exterior roof and wall seams.
13. Accessibility of batteries - and room for two or more batteries.
14. Accessibility of the water pump.
15. Slam-shut type latches for all exterior storage bins.
16. Remotely controlled and heated cab exterior mirrors.
17. At least two roof vents with at least one of them powered by a multi-speed and reversible fan.
18. All roof vents having vent covers already installed.
19. Large grey and black tanks that are heated (if outside the interior living area).
20. A fresh water tank and all fresh water plumbing that are at all times exposed to the interior temperature of the coach.
21. A built-in generator that is fueled from the main engine fuel tank and that is installed well sound and vibration proofed - and is away from the main sleeping areas. In other words, a built-in generator that can be run for hours and hours, if necessary, without too much annoyance of coach occupants or neighboring campers.
22. A built-in roof access ladder that is heavy duty and solidly mounted.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

tarnold

georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chinook. We have had ours for over 11 years and 95k+ miles. Yes have spent a LOT on upgrades. All maintenance done as required. New owner coming this weekend to pick up. Sold for more than I paid. 2005 was the last year of production but they seem to keep going up in value.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/20 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tarnold, That is a cool story. You have us beat.

In 1983, we bought a brand new Mirage motor home built on a 1983 Toyota chassis. We paid $12,255. 24 years later, we sold it for $7,600. The years in between included $2000 in suspension work.

It was a great investment for so many years of good service and enjoyment.

The person we sold it to is many states away. Not long ago, I heard he still has it on the road, all decked out better than ever.

tarnold

georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/20 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron, really doubt that will be the same for the PC 2014, 2552 that I bought to replace the Chinook. Health concerns just required a little bigger rig.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/20 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

T. Anderson wrote:

I'm considering buying a used Class C with the intention of keeping it for 1-2 years, traveling all over the USA, and then selling it.
Is there a particular brand that would hold its value better than others over a 2-3 year period? Maybe even a specific model.
My budget will be $60K or less.

A lot of posters are saying "condition" is most important. I would say that condition is only the second most important thing.

In my opinion, I would say that construction quality when built is the most important thing. After you've determined what year(s) of what manufacturer was(were) best put together ... then look for one of those in the best condition that you can find that you can afford.

Highest build quality things to look for should include such things as:

1. The longest running, least expensive to get parts for, and most places to get repaired ... chassis under the Class C.
2. As much hardwood in the coach cabinets as you can find, with each one having solid latches that won't come open going down the road.
3. Steel drawer runners.
4. Excellent workmanship of hidden wiring and plumbing.
5. Method used for mounting of coach cabinets to the walls.
6. Internal construction of the walls and roof.
7. One piece (aluminum or fiberglass) and of a crowned shape ... roof.
8. Metal (aluminum or steel) cab entry running boards.
9. Metal lined and carpeted exterior cabinets.
10. Metal lined tire wheel wells.
11. Full size spare tire included.
12. Method used for all coach exterior roof and wall seams.
13. Accessibility of batteries - and room for two or more batteries.
14. Accessibility of the water pump.
15. Slam-shut type latches for all exterior storage bins.
16. Remotely controlled and heated cab exterior mirrors.
17. At least two roof vents with at least one of them powered by a multi-speed and reversible fan.
18. All roof vents having vent covers already installed.
19. Large grey and black tanks that are heated (if outside the interior living area).
20. A fresh water tank and all fresh water plumbing that are at all times exposed to the interior temperature of the coach.
21. A built-in generator that is fueled from the main engine fuel tank and that is installed well sound and vibration proofed - and is away from the main sleeping areas. In other words, a built-in generator that can be run for hours and hours, if necessary, without too much annoyance of coach occupants or neighboring campers.
22. A built-in roof access ladder that is heavy duty and solidly mounted.

For long term personal ownership all those things listed are a factor.
For someone looking to use it for a year or 2 and then flip it.
Longevity/quality is a less important issue.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

T. Anderson

Eastern N.C.

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/20 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again for the responses so far.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Best brand for resale?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.