cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best brand for resale?

T__Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
I'm considering buying a used Class C with the intention of keeping it for 1-2 years, traveling all over the USA, and then selling it.
Is there a particular brand that would hold its value better than others over a 2-3 year period? Maybe even a specific model.
My budget will be $60K or less.
20 REPLIES 20

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Resale value is going to be determined by where our health and economy will be 2 years from now.

T__Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for the responses so far.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
pnichols wrote:
T. Anderson wrote:
I'm considering buying a used Class C with the intention of keeping it for 1-2 years, traveling all over the USA, and then selling it.
Is there a particular brand that would hold its value better than others over a 2-3 year period? Maybe even a specific model.

A lot of posters are saying "condition" is most important. I would say that condition is only the second most important thing.

In my opinion, I would say that construction quality when built is the most important thing. After you've determined what year(s) of what manufacturer was(were) best put together ... then look for one of those in the best condition that you can find that you can afford.

Highest build quality things to look for should include such things as:

1. The longest running, least expensive to get parts for, and most places to get repaired ... chassis under the Class C.
2. As much hardwood in the coach cabinets as you can find, with each one having solid latches that won't come open going down the road.
3. Steel drawer runners.
4. Excellent workmanship of hidden wiring and plumbing.
5. Method used for mounting of coach cabinets to the walls.
6. Internal construction of the walls and roof.
7. One piece (aluminum or fiberglass) and of a crowned shape ... roof.
8. Metal (aluminum or steel) cab entry running boards.
9. Metal lined and carpeted exterior cabinets.
10. Metal lined tire wheel wells.
11. Full size spare tire included.
12. Method used for all coach exterior roof and wall seams.
13. Accessibility of batteries - and room for two or more batteries.
14. Accessibility of the water pump.
15. Slam-shut type latches for all exterior storage bins.
16. Remotely controlled and heated cab exterior mirrors.
17. At least two roof vents with at least one of them powered by a multi-speed and reversible fan.
18. All roof vents having vent covers already installed.
19. Large grey and black tanks that are heated (if outside the interior living area).
20. A fresh water tank and all fresh water plumbing that are at all times exposed to the interior temperature of the coach.
21. A built-in generator that is fueled from the main engine fuel tank and that is installed well sound and vibration proofed - and is away from the main sleeping areas. In other words, a built-in generator that can be run for hours and hours, if necessary, without too much annoyance of coach occupants or neighboring campers.
22. A built-in roof access ladder that is heavy duty and solidly mounted.

For long term personal ownership all those things listed are a factor.
For someone looking to use it for a year or 2 and then flip it.
Longevity/quality is a less important issue.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Ron, really doubt that will be the same for the PC 2014, 2552 that I bought to replace the Chinook. Health concerns just required a little bigger rig.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
tarnold, That is a cool story. You have us beat.

In 1983, we bought a brand new Mirage motor home built on a 1983 Toyota chassis. We paid $12,255. 24 years later, we sold it for $7,600. The years in between included $2000 in suspension work.

It was a great investment for so many years of good service and enjoyment.

The person we sold it to is many states away. Not long ago, I heard he still has it on the road, all decked out better than ever.

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
Chinook. We have had ours for over 11 years and 95k+ miles. Yes have spent a LOT on upgrades. All maintenance done as required. New owner coming this weekend to pick up. Sold for more than I paid. 2005 was the last year of production but they seem to keep going up in value.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
T. Anderson wrote:

A lot of posters are saying "condition" is most important. I would say that condition is only the second most important thing.

In my opinion, I would say that construction quality when built is the most important thing. After you've determined what year(s) of what manufacturer was(were) best put together ... then look for one of those in the best condition that you can find that you can afford.

Highest build quality things to look for should include such things as:

1. The longest running, least expensive to get parts for, and most places to get repaired ... chassis under the Class C.
2. As much hardwood in the coach cabinets as you can find, with each one having solid latches that won't come open going down the road.
3. Steel drawer runners.
4. Excellent workmanship of hidden wiring and plumbing.
5. Method used for mounting of coach cabinets to the walls.
6. Internal construction of the walls and roof.
7. One piece (aluminum or fiberglass) and of a crowned shape ... roof.
8. Metal (aluminum or steel) cab entry running boards.
9. Metal lined and carpeted exterior cabinets.
10. Metal lined tire wheel wells.
11. Full size spare tire included.
12. Method used for all coach exterior roof and wall seams.
13. Accessibility of batteries - and room for two or more batteries.
14. Accessibility of the water pump.
15. Slam-shut type latches for all exterior storage bins.
16. Remotely controlled and heated cab exterior mirrors.
17. At least two roof vents with at least one of them powered by a multi-speed and reversible fan.
18. All roof vents having vent covers already installed.
19. Large grey and black tanks that are heated (if outside the interior living area).
20. A fresh water tank and all fresh water plumbing that are at all times exposed to the interior temperature of the coach.
21. A built-in generator that is fueled from the main engine fuel tank and that is installed well sound and vibration proofed - and is away from the main sleeping areas. In other words, a built-in generator that can be run for hours and hours, if necessary, without too much annoyance of coach occupants or neighboring campers.
22. A built-in roof access ladder that is heavy duty and solidly mounted.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
3 adult size people, spending alot of time in the RV, I think a medium sized C is about the smallest I'd consider. Not that unwieldy for a 26-28' vehicle. Think of it this way, it's about 6' longer than a long bed crew cab pickup!

Best resale, IMO is the one you get the best deal on first, lowest miles (so the miles are still lower when you sell) and old enough that the annual depreciation is not a factor (IE over 5 years old).

Budget wise, you're wide open at $60k max, but don't need to spend near that much for very full featured newer rig. $60k is approaching brand new, which is the WORST for resale.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
T. Anderson wrote:
Thanks again, y'all. Whatever unit (B or C) we end up going with, it will be for doing a lot of driving and stopping to see the sights along the way. Maybe even spending 1 or 2 nights a week now and then in a hotel. Me, the wife, and daughter (grown).
Ah, the way I see it working best is......

Mom, Dad, and adult daughter =
1) full time main floor bed for Mom and Dad
2) over-head cab bunk of a conventional C for the daughter.

This way the living area stays "living". Mom and Dad have their private space with a curtain or door, and the daughter does as well with a curtain. Whoever wakes up first can let the others sleep later. The same goes for early-to-bed.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I strongly suggest you check out the Lazydaze class c. Check all the features out especially the exterior aluminum panels. They have a very good resale value and a large following. I've looked at them extensively but never owned one due to timing considerations. There is a long wait time like the better part of a year from the time you order one til it's built and you receive it. With that said, a newer used unit will hold it's value well.

T__Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again, y'all. Whatever unit (B or C) we end up going with, it will be for doing a lot of driving and stopping to see the sights along the way. Maybe even spending 1 or 2 nights a week now and then in a hotel. Me, the wife, and daughter (grown).

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
If considering a class B, I always thought the Rialta was interesting. If serious about one, I would try to get a 2003-2005 for it came with the strongest available VW engine. The oldest ones built in the 90's are under-powered.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
A used unit with service records. Whenever I purchase a used vehicle it must have that. I prefer original owner vs dealerships. Too many vehicles coming

from the auction as re-po's are sold at dealerships. If a person could not make payments they dang sure didn't keep it serviced and maintained. An

inspection by a qualified RV mechanic should be on your list. Money well spent. So many issues can go unnoticed when you are gazing at your possible

purchase imagining yourself next to that trout stream you've been wanting to hit.Take your time. My rig was in Minnesota and I live in Southern Cal.

Never regretted that one way flight and the drive home.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
T. Anderson wrote:
Thanks so much for the replies so far. I'm already thinking that maybe a Class B may be a better choice for us, so who knows where I'll end up in this quest.
And I'm glad to hear that condition is the most important factor, as that opens up a ton more options when looking for candidates.

If you are looking to travel and sightsee a class B is great. If you are stopping to see the sights or driving most of the day.
I had two B's and really enjoyed the compact rv.
They are limited for longer term camping in one spot due to limited storage and tank size as well as interior long term comfort.

If you are interested in an rv that takes up one parking spot and offers you a bathroom and bed wherever you are , check out the Winnebago line, they tend to do pretty well with resale too.

Take into consideration to research lithium batteries if you choose to go that route which is popping up a lot in class B units.
"L" models are lithium, I'm not sure if there is service available while on the road for those batteries, might be very limited. I do not have any experience using lithium batteries, I'm an AGM guy and that's not a problem.

Look at the Travato 59k twin beds w/king insert option . Rear bath/shower. Dinning option with table between the beds or small table up front using swivel front seats. Good view for tv watching.

Travato 59G w/ corner bath but offers a small 48" double bed that folds up for bike storage and such on the floor. It's a tight sleep for two adults. Has a front dinette but, if it matters to you, the tv is in an awkward place to view. The dinette comfort level is so-so.

B's are going to be limited in ext storage space, but Travato offers a complete roof rack system with box or basket and ladder. It also offers a rear bike rack. Some owners tow a small utility trailer and some use a rear hitch rack with tote box but be careful of adding too much weight that affects handling on any rv. You don't want a FWD vehicle spinning its tires on wet roads or gravel/dirt roads. Be careful how you load them.

Good luck in your quest, be safe.