cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for air conditioner replacement

srx-6
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2009 Monaco Camelot, the bedroom ac died over a year ago, the middle one is starting to whine so, this leaves the front getting a real workout. We have Dometic units now and I think I would like to stay with Dometic as install should be straight forward. While doing my research I have discovered that many folks are not pleased with Dometic’s quality and the Brisk units fail quite often. I am looking at cooling units only as we don’t need a heat pump. Airxcel/Coleman and Atwood seem to be decent units.
Looking for pros and cons from those who have replaced units in the past few years. I don’t think we will make a Florida summer with just the one ac so, I need to make a decision soon.
Thanks for any input
JB & MB
2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
2008 Jeep Wrangler
29 REPLIES 29

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We helped someone replace theirs. We googled their make/model and got an exact replacement online. Hubby installed for them.

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
srx-6 wrote:
I have all 3 new Penguin II units installed and running (all zones and all modes). I purchased a separate control module to be used with the auto generator start feature. What I did not know is that I need a "wiring kit" for the extra control board. Will be looking for one of those this week.
In the process of replacing the ac's I have lost power to the Magnum energy display that is attached right below my new T-stat. At first the T-stat would not work but found a bad fuse. The fuse for the EMS is good. I looked for a fuse at the Magnum unit in the bay but did not find one.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have an 03 Windsor. In the bedroom I have two 120v breaker panels
The panel on the left has 2 GFI breakers one of them ( top one )
kills my inverter display when it trips.
On my coach, it also kills the pass slide ( kitchen ) and front TV

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
ThruTraffic wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Your tstat and Communication cables and roof top controls are specific to Dometic. If you go to another Brand, you will have to run new Tstat Cables from the wall to the roof and change out the wall tstat and the upper control boards, which adds cost.

Not exactly true. the Penguin II and CCC2 for example use a 4 conductor RJ11 (phone) connector. They don't even supply this cable you have to make one and run it UNLESS your old system has a cable already run with at least four spare conductors. If you have the spare conductors just buy some RJ11-6p4c connectors and attach your old wiring to them. The Penguin installs doc has the wiring pin-out for you to do just this. Odds are you won't have to run wire in a change out; new install, yes.

What I posted is TRUE. The 4 wire com cable IS SPECIFIC to Dometic systems that use the Com Cable. What did I post wrong? Doug

ThruTraffic
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Your tstat and Communication cables and roof top controls are specific to Dometic. If you go to another Brand, you will have to run new Tstat Cables from the wall to the roof and change out the wall tstat and the upper control boards, which adds cost.

Not exactly true. the Penguin II and CCC2 for example use a 4 conductor RJ11 (phone) connector. They don't even supply this cable you have to make one and run it UNLESS your old system has a cable already run with at least four spare conductors. If you have the spare conductors just buy some RJ11-6p4c connectors and attach your old wiring to them. The Penguin installs doc has the wiring pin-out for you to do just this. Odds are you won't have to run wire in a change out; new install, yes.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
srx-6 wrote:
The only COMM cables I disconnected were the ones at the ac. I have checked all the COMM cable connections at the inverter, Auto start module in the front electric compartment and at the remote. All appear to be good.
I am wondering if the extra control board needs to be wired in and the generator dip switch activated to power up the Magnum remote.

No. Doug

srx-6
Explorer
Explorer
The only COMM cables I disconnected were the ones at the ac. I have checked all the COMM cable connections at the inverter, Auto start module in the front electric compartment and at the remote. All appear to be good.
I am wondering if the extra control board needs to be wired in and the generator dip switch activated to power up the Magnum remote.
JB & MB
2008 Jeep Wrangler

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The Magnum has a COMM cable similiar to the Dometic COMM cable. IS the Cable connected to the Magnum remote display? There is NO fuse. The COMM cable goes direct from the remote display to the Magnum Inverter. BUT, Om some Magnum's there is a Auto Gen start module mounted close to the Inverter/Charger and the cable may interface there. Did you disconnect ANY of those COMM type cables by the Magnum unit? Doug

srx-6
Explorer
Explorer
I have all 3 new Penguin II units installed and running (all zones and all modes). I purchased a separate control module to be used with the auto generator start feature. What I did not know is that I need a "wiring kit" for the extra control board. Will be looking for one of those this week.
In the process of replacing the ac's I have lost power to the Magnum energy display that is attached right below my new T-stat. At first the T-stat would not work but found a bad fuse. The fuse for the EMS is good. I looked for a fuse at the Magnum unit in the bay but did not find one.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
JB & MB
2008 Jeep Wrangler

srx-6
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
srx-6 wrote:
The new Penguin II units have finally arrived (ordered them June 15). I am thinking I will pull them up to the roof with rope and sling. Can anyone tell me if the units must remain flat or can they be turned vertical for the trip up the ladder?

They can be turned vertical for a few minutes. Doug

Thank you
I appreciate your input.
JB & MB
2008 Jeep Wrangler

down_home
Explorer
Explorer

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
srx-6 wrote:
The new Penguin II units have finally arrived (ordered them June 15). I am thinking I will pull them up to the roof with rope and sling. Can anyone tell me if the units must remain flat or can they be turned vertical for the trip up the ladder?

They can be turned vertical for a few minutes. Doug

srx-6
Explorer
Explorer
JB & MB
2008 Jeep Wrangler

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
A1RVTraveler wrote:
Is seems silly to remove three brand new circuit boards from three new AC units and then install three used boards from 12 year old AC units. The correct plan is to buy a new 10-button thermostat for less than $100 and upgrade your entire system. It's all plug and play.

Where is the $500 savings?

He is buying Brisk Air which have no control boards. The savings is NOT buying Penguin's which come with the control boards and they are slightly higher in base cost. If I had his unit, I would buy 3 new Penguin HP's and upgrade the tstat. Granted, another extra $1500 for all 3, but you get current Technology and do not have to worry about if the older Control boards fail and then have that cost. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
srx-6 wrote:
Not sure what they are. My paperwork states Dometic / Duo Therm ac and heat pump model #630516.331. I can see the control boards so should be easy to remove

600 series is Penguins. Your new Brisk airs will be about 3 inches taller. Doug