cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

West Coast of Florida

deejay41
Explorer
Explorer
What is the most scenic route to take to explore the West coast of Florida (Old Florida), in a motorhome??
Thanks
US Air Force (retired)
Tiffin Allegro Bus Class A
Cat Diesel Pusher
Blue Ox Aventa 2 w/ Brake Buddy
Dodge Dakota - Toad

Have Dogs-Will Travel
12 REPLIES 12

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arcadia, further east, is known as an antiques hot spot.

LOL that's news to me. I graduated from HS there and antique sales were just about unknown at the time. I've been back occasionally and the place is unrecognizable just about. One excellent activity there is canoeing on the Peace River from the Canoe Outpost. You can find lots of fossil sharks teeth when the water is low. I found a fossil gator tooth which aren't so common. The Myakka SP in between Sarasota and Arcadia is one of the best in the Florida Park system with a skyway (I think the call it) which is a bridge in the tree tops. They have more gators there than you'll see almost anywhere else.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
We snowbird in Crystal River, FL. Taking US19 south of I-10 you will drive on an accessible 4 lane through a lot of forest and a few small towns. US98 heading east to US19/Perry would follow the gulf on the south side of the panhandle.

There are some interesting stops off US19 as you head south. You may want to take SR24 west to Cedar Key. It's a small town on the water. I bought a t-shirt there a few years ago that said: Cedar Key - Old Florida. It has been said Cedar Key is what Key West was like many years ago. There are a few RV parks along SR24.

The Crystal River/Homosassa area is a great place to stay. There are several RV parks in the area. We spend 4 months at Rock Crusher Canyon RV Park. It's a nice park that gives you a state park feel with plenty of trees & shrubs between most sites. There's also a nice pool area. The area is known for lots of manatees and you can find places where you can rent kayaks and get close to them or even swim with them.

The two main rivers are the Crystal River that flows west from US19 at Kings Bayin downtown CR. The Homosassa River has a different personality and one we prefer. Take Halls River Road from US19 west and take the first main split to the left. It goes past the Ellie Shiller visitor center and worth a stop. The road goes west to an area called Old Homosassa. You go right to the river there where you'll find some interesting local eateries; The Freezer (great shrimp & clam chowder) and McCray's - The Shed. McCrays is right on the river where you can rent a pontoon, have a beer or two, and get something to eat. There are some RV parks out this way, but during certain times you run into no-seeums when closer to the water.

You can continue south and rather than take US19 down to Weeki Wachee and further south toward Tampa you can head east at US98. You can take that all the way to I-75 or you can take the toll road 598 south toward Tampa. If you got south toward Tampa on the toll road you can catch I-275 just south of the airport and head west to the ocean. It's not exactly RV friendly in the area near the ocean, but you can take the I-275 Skyway Bridge back to I-75 south of Tampa.

We originally travelled south along I-75 to Naples and then over toward Miami on US41. There are several RV parks and/or state parks where you can access the Gulf and several well known beaches along the way south. Venice is nice and not so crowded like Bradenton & Sarasota areas. Myakka State Park is nice with plenty of wildlife & birds. Riverside RV Resort east of I-75 about 4-5 miles is nice for a stay and where you can explore the area. Arcadia, further east, is known as an antiques hot spot.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
For more to see, from Perry I'd take US-27 to HIgh Springs, then head south on US-27 to Williston, then reconnect with US-41 and go all the way south to Land O'Lakes and pick a direction from there. To go to the Keys, get over to US-27 SR-50 Brooksville to Clermont, then south on US-27.

You don't have to reconnect with 41. 27 and 41 run together from High Springs to Williston. But as I pointed out there are innumerable different routes, Florida is not short on North-South highways.
Superbumper

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
You can go US-98 to Perry; it's somewhat scenic between Port St. Joe and the Crawfordville turnoff. Then from Perry take US-19 south to US-98 past Homosassa and head to Brooksville, where you'll connect with US-41.

Once you get east of Crawfordville the actual coast is 20-25 miles away from the highway with county roads leading out to small communities. You'll be seeing 20 bazillion pine trees.

For more to see, from Perry I'd take US-27 to HIgh Springs, then head south on US-27 to Williston, then reconnect with US-41 and go all the way south to Land O'Lakes and pick a direction from there. To go to the Keys, get over to US-27 SR-50 Brooksville to Clermont, then south on US-27.

DO NOT go through the Tampa Bay area or, of course, the Orlando area.
-jbh-

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
We always try to follow routes that used to be the main route prior to Interstates. US 41 would be a good choice.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
deejay41 wrote:
Great!
I will take a look at 41, since it goes all the way to Miami.

Is it a good safe road for a large class A motorhome?
Also, I want to go all the way into the keys, but would like to make some stops down the West coast , on the way down.
Any recommendations for rv parks.

All highways in Florida are pretty good, even the 3 numbered state roads for the most part are good two lane roadways. The state spends it's federal road taxes where it is supposed to, on the roads with no apparent corruption. US41 in particular is fine, a 2 or 4 lane roadway.
I'll suggest visiting White Springs near Jasper and the State Park there, Oleno SP near High Springs and maybe Ichnetucknee SP in the same area, Rainbow Springs SP near Dunellan, Myakka SP near Sarasota, Collier Seminole SP where 41 turns east across the Everglades and Shark River Unit of the Everglades NP in the center of that section.

As for RV parks for the most part we try to stay in State Parks which once again have won the best in country award. Most of their campgrounds have been converted to FHU over the last five or ten years and are generally big rig friendly. Some have twisty interior roads with lots of trees so look at campgroundreviews for a particular park. Ft Clinch near Jacksonville and Tomoka near Daytona fall in that group. And the only commercial cg we have stayed in, and they are few, are in the panhandle.

You most certainly want to avoid US19 anywhere close to the Tarpon Springs-New Ritchie area the traffic is awful.

I'd suggest honking your horn as you go thru Newberry since we live near there but we'll be off on our own trip hopefully. I have a personal story about the Tamiami Trail, when I was very young-a toddler, my Father was off in the Army in Korea and my mother and Aunt decided to drive down to Miami and rent a house down there (from NJ). My aunt was driving that dangerous, no railing section of the Tamiami Trail and fell asleep and just about ended up in the 30 foot deep canal. Apparently my mother woke up just in time to jerk the steering wheel away from the water.
They've made that section much safer now, OH yeah it runs thru the Seminole reservation and they do hand out tickets whenever possible.
Superbumper

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would go on 19 to Port Richie, then hop on 53 to get to 301. ( you avoid the huge traffic mess in the Clearwater area by doing that) Follow that until it merges with 41 near Ellenton. Then 41 takes you the rest of the way down the west coast and then heads east at Naples thru the everglades to Miami
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would go on 19 to Port Richie, then hop on 53 to get to 301. ( you avoid the huge traffic mess in the Clearwater area by doing that) Follow that until it merges with 41 near Ellenton. Then 41 takes you the rest of the way down the west coast and then heads east at Naples thru the everglades to Miami
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
For us we like those tiny towns with long stretches of natural scenery. Not sure what you prefer as being scenic.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

deejay41
Explorer
Explorer
Great!
I will take a look at 41, since it goes all the way to Miami.

Is it a good safe road for a large class A motorhome?
Also, I want to go all the way into the keys, but would like to make some stops down the West coast , on the way down.
Any recommendations for rv parks.
US Air Force (retired)
Tiffin Allegro Bus Class A
Cat Diesel Pusher
Blue Ox Aventa 2 w/ Brake Buddy
Dodge Dakota - Toad

Have Dogs-Will Travel

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
You mean peninsular Florida? Possibly Highway US27 or if you want to stay to the west(but not near the coast)then US19 but you won't hit many towns unless you divert down side roads to the west. It is not possible to drive down the west coast. 27 goes thru many small towns. It's actually hard to say since there are really 4 or 5 highways that pass south down the peninsula. 19, 27, 41, 301, 441 and maybe 17. They merge and run together for 50 miles then split up. If I had to pick one then maybe 41 it runs all the way down to the everglades and then along the northern boundary of the park, as the Tamiami Trail, into Miami. Lots of history behind the Tamiami Trail and many dead tourist and locals drove into that deep canal and were not found for decades.
Just get a map an look is probably the best advice.

Maybe we could come up with a list of small towns but it would be difficult.
Superbumper

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I like to ride US 41. 19 is nice, but long patches of nothing.